Swan at Fradley 1 star hygiene rating

PaulD

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Reported in local press. Usual issues - storage of raw meat, rats,   

Why would they want to store rats?

It sounds as if The Swan has become The Mucky Duck.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Nope, it's definitely hygiene ...

I was good at metalwork at school. Other subjects boring.

Staffordshire Live spelt it hygeine as well ! Maybe I can be a journalist.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, PaulD said:

I was good at metalwork at school. Other subjects boring.

Ah, were you a lathey student?

If you didn't follow the drill it will still be on your file ... :D

I'll stop now.  This is worse than fish jokes!

5 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Ah, were you a lathey student?

If you didn't follow the drill it will still be on your file ... :D

I'll stop now.  This is worse than fish jokes!

So they will have to shape up, turn over a new leaf, get back to the grind and try harder. All grist to the mill, Chuck.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Haha 1

I remember the good old days. The metalwork teacher would fasten your tie in the vice if you were naughty. Had to stay there until he released you. Teachers a bit soft these days.

I've probably posted this before, but here is the Jen-in-Wellies translation of food hygiene stars in to terms you are more likely to understand.

Up to the standard your Mum would be almost happy with.

Your kitchen, just after you have cleaned it.

The mice and rats have been trained to wash their paws before entering a food preparation area.

The mice and rats have been trained to do the food preparation and have replaced all the humans.

The mice and  rats are all dead from food poisoning. The cockroaches are holding their stomachs and being sick.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 4

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've probably posted this before, but here is the Jen-in-Wellies translation of food hygiene stars in to terms you are more likely to understand.

Up to the standard your Mum would be almost happy with.

Your kitchen, just after you have cleaned it.

The mice and rats have been trained to wash their paws before entering a food preparation area.

The mice and rats have been trained to do the food preparation and have replaced all the humans.

The mice and  rats are all dead from food poisoning. The cockroaches are holding their stomachs and being sick.

The reality is that actualy its far more to do with paperwork than cleanliness. We always had a five rating at our places as my missus is very on the ball. However just filling in fridge temp books etc wins a couple of stars on its own. Anywhere so bad as to have one star is stupid enough as to not fill bookwork in. You could have the cleanest kitchen any where in the world and you will not get above a 2 if you dont fill the books in.

• Greenie 1

Excessive hygiene is bad for the immune system and is why so many people these days have food and other allergies. Bottom line is how many people eating at the Swan have become ill from food poisoning? Probably none. Anyway, rat dropping add a certain je ne sais quois to a ceasar salad.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, PaulD said:

I remember the good old days. The metalwork teacher would fasten your tie in the vice if you were naughty. Had to stay there until he released you. Teachers a bit soft these days.

Is that all?  :)

We had a tech drawing teacher who threw a hammer at a pupil, in fact for as long as I was in his class the hole was in the door where it landed.

Same bloke used to throw chairs at pupils who wound him up as well, quite frankly the bloke was a nutter

17 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Bottom line is how many people eating at the Swan have become ill from food poisoning? Probably none.

Blimey you're beginning to sound like me on about the BSS! Yes probably none, the same as the number of passers-by killed or injured by batteries not being securely fixed down, anchors stored in the gas locker or a missing label on something or other.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

ISTR this is not the first time.

I think it has been mentioned on here previously.

Did a search on here and the Swan got zero stars in July 2011. So an improvement then.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

The reality is that actualy its far more to do with paperwork than cleanliness. We always had a five rating at our places as my missus is very on the ball. However just filling in fridge temp books etc wins a couple of stars on its own. Anywhere so bad as to have one star is stupid enough as to not fill bookwork in. You could have the cleanest kitchen any where in the world and you will not get above a 2 if you dont fill the books in.

But in any controlled situation. paperwork is a vital component - traceability has been a major contributor to post-war improvements. Whilst it superficially seems to be about placing blame in the event of an adverse incident, it also helps to create a culture of awareness in which everyone (and these things often come down to the performance of the least regarded employees) positively accepts the need for safer behaviour (in this case cleanliness). The lack of food hygiene also is often a barometer for wider problems.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

But in any controlled situation. paperwork is a vital component - traceability has been a major contributor to post-war improvements. Whilst it superficially seems to be about placing blame in the event of an adverse incident, it also helps to create a culture of awareness in which everyone (and these things often come down to the performance of the least regarded employees) positively accepts the need for safer behaviour (in this case cleanliness). The lack of food hygiene also is often a barometer for wider problems.

I agree in the main. We were trainer managers for a brewery for a few years so were very much up on all the ins and outs. However, its also true to say that many, in fact most establishments, someone sits down every couple or so days and ticks off the temperature books for each fridge thus keeping the books up to date, rather than the fridges. Much like the BSS when lots of people out there, remove stuff including generaters full of petrol off the boat when its inspected, then put them back on when paperwork issued. I certainly am not saying not doing the job properly is good but personaly I take little notice of scores on the doors. My local chinese takeaway serves fab food but is only a 4 at present. The place is mint, its owned by a mate, but the people in the kitchen simply forget the books for weeks on end and got caught out on last visit.

• Greenie 1

I daren't think what score the F&C van would get, mentioned in other thread. It crossed my mind that he might be packing it in due to harassment from the local council rather than the reason he is actually telling people.

He doesn't strike me as someone likely to be keen on filling in paperwork or record books.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I agree in the main. We were trainer managers for a brewery for a few years so were very much up on all the ins and outs. However, its also true to say that many, in fact most establishments, someone sits down every couple or so days and ticks off the temperature books for each fridge thus keeping the books up to date, rather than the fridges. Much like the BSS when lots of people out there, remove stuff including generaters full of petrol off the boat when its inspected, then put them back on when paperwork issued. I certainly am not saying not doing the job properly is good but personaly I take little notice of scores on the doors. My local chinese takeaway serves fab food but is only a 4 at present. The place is mint, its owned by a mate, but the people in the kitchen simply forget the books for weeks on end and got caught out on last visit.

You would think that in this day and age businesses would use secure electronic logging of fridge temperatures that could be shown to the inspectors. And or that commercial fridges would come with that built in.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

Food poisoning can be pretty serious even fatal.

When I was a student nurse I remember one young man who was admitted after eating a dodgy burger from a well known (at the time) street vendor in the town.

He had a moderate case of colitis but the poisoning resulted in seriously exacerbating his inflamatory bowel condition to the point his bowel perforated causing peritonitis which advanced to septicaemia and finally his death about 2 weeks later. From memory he was about 25.

So it pays to be careful even though such an outcome is very rare.

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

You would think that in this day and age businesses would use secure electronic logging of fridge temperatures that could be shown to the inspectors. And or that commercial fridges would come with that built in.

Fridge temperatures taken (or set) by the fridge itself are not acceptable - it has to be a calibrated thermometer and taken at agreed times.

(At least it was when we had the restaurant).

The argument being that just because the temperature that you set on the Fridge (ie 5 degrees C) does not mean that the fridge is actually at 5 degrees C

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes. Its a nonsense at present, just sit and fill em in whenever. The chances of getting caught out are quite remote. Same with date labeling.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fridge temperatures taken (or set) by the fridge itself are not acceptable - it has to be a calibrated thermometer and taken at agreed times.

(At least it was when we had the restaurant).

The argument being that just because the temperature that you set on the Fridge (ie 5 degrees C) does not mean that the fridge is actually at 5 degrees C

Sure, but I wouldn’t be difficult to have an independent tamper-proof automatic monitoring system that did the job of the calibrated thermometer but without the need for human intervention (except to get it calibrated eg annually).