Windy weather, affecting your rudder.

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, when it’s windy, I can hear what appears to be my rudder, or something, bouncing back and forwards, creating a banging noise. This is when moored. So I have tied my tiller to straight ahead position, but still this annoying dun dun noise like it’s moving, but on o bservation, the tiller doesn’t move, so what could be causing it. It’s not just now, has been noticed in other moorings on windy days. Can’t think what it can be apart from rudder, but swan neck tied off straight.?

Assuming that you have eliminated the rudder stock being loose in the bearings, ie its not waggling if you push and pull it. 

I think it is water slapping on the hull, is the boat slightly nose down, and the stern a bit raised?  Even if boat is perfectly balanced I think this could happen. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Yes if the counter or uxter plates aren't low enough below the waterline then it might be water slapping against the underside of the uxter, possibly trapping air which makes the banging louder. Quite a few boats aren't ballasted adequately at the stern meaning that the uxter plates lay at or even slightly above the waterline. Ideally they should be a few inches below.

For the time being you could try just turning the boat around and perhaps the stern won't be facing the wind/waves?

Edited by blackrose

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

Assuming that you have eliminated the rudder stock being loose in the bearings, ie its not waggling if you push and pull it. 

I think it is water slapping on the hull, is the boat slightly nose down, and the stern a bit raised?  Even if boat is perfectly balanced I think this could happen. 

Mine was doing exactly this when the rudder stock was loose. The intermittent bang in windy weather. Very annoying. Have you checked it’s not loose?

rather than tying the tiller straight try tying it hard over (to the point that the rudder is against the hull) that should take any slop out of the rudder / tiller bearings and bottom cup.

yeah, I know what you mean, slop, slop slop all the time when there's little waves, thud thud thud with bigger ones, not a lot you can do about it, a few kgs of bricks in the back might help, we have an old fashioned counter stern but there's nothing at all we can do because of the shape.

42 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

rather than tying the tiller straight try tying it hard over (to the point that the rudder is against the hull) that should take any slop out of the rudder / tiller bearings and bottom cup.

That is what I do.

I am moored with tyres for fenders,I will try tying the tiller to one side. The boat is draughted 30” stern and 18” bow. The rudder stock being loose in the bearings could be a possibility. I got a new bearing a couple of years ago, but there is some give in the tiller. Maybe have it looked at when it’s out for blacking. It’s too windy to turn boat around easily. Thanks for replies.

11 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Uxter plate not deep enough in the water. The waves slap up under the counter. Transfer ballast from bow to stern.

Or (nearly) empty the water tank in the bow.

Them little waves slapping the uxter make a horrendous noise on one of my boats when the water tank is brim-filled.

live with it. 
It’s a happy sound when the weather’s blowing. 

Slappy slappy 

Shows the uxter plates just right. 

Reminds me:

My hair tends to blow over in the windy weather and looks like I’m growing a comb over. 
But I’m not trying to do a comb over at all

I want the Terry Nutkins look

It’s a shit life. 
But I’m learning to live with it.  

• Greenie 1