Waterproof co-ax plug and socket.

Slim

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I still hold my G6 licence, even though I haven't transmitted for the best part of 30 years 

GB7BIL the packet radio bbs I ran from home was about the last time I was on air although that was automated ;)

Impressive.

I was mostly drawn to homebrew QRP stuff. The hobby lost its shine for me when the local net became little more than a willy wave exercise - who had the newest Yaesu Musen, etc.

1 hour ago, Puffling said:

Impressive.

I was mostly drawn to homebrew QRP stuff. The hobby lost its shine for me when the local net became little more than a willy wave exercise - who had the newest Yaesu Musen, etc.

I drifted away and, as i said, found the 11mt CB DXing to be more enjoyable - getting short skip to Scotland was as enjoyable as the US or Australia.

I ended up mostly mobile and got the car set up so I could happily sit for hours.

Those were the days !!

On 03/04/2022 at 12:04, bizzard said:

Excellent stuff is self amalgamating tape, and really for a permanent job. It needs to be applied with continuous gentle stretch for it to self amalgamate properly. On the odd occasion that I've had to open it up I gently slice it longways with a craft knife.

Even better if then covered with Denso tape, but you'll never want to remove it!

To repair a split hose, providing it can be got at or removed is to bind the plit with self amalgamating tape and then for reinforcement against pressure bind thin wire or even copper wire from an old cable will do over the whole wound and then another good couple of layers of tape over that.

10 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Even better if then covered with Denso tape, but you'll never want to remove it!

Yes, we used to lag some vehicles leaf springs with Denso take, kept them clean. Some we didn't which had slithers of rubber between the leafs, like many BMC cars rear springs.

On 04/04/2022 at 11:56, Loddon said:

Be aware if using a BNC they are not totaly waterproof !

Don't use a BNC in a vertical run of cable as water will build up in the back of the connector and wick through the gland, it is of great importance to make sure the connector is horizontal so there is nowhere for water to collect. the same applies to N type.

Oh and in my days of using both N type and BNC I always covered them with self amalgamating tape as it's a pain in the ass when they are 60ft in the air and they develop a fault during times of decent radio propagation 😱

It's 75 ohm for TV

I've got a female female bulkhead fitting coming that will (I hope) go above my forward doors under an overhang of about 90mm depth that has a slight lip on the leading edge. I've found a silicone rubber boot to go over the external bnc connection and a waterproof bnc cap for when disconnected.  I've found a way into the insulated void between the roof and ceiling and a route from there to the overhead services trunking that runs all down the boat. I've found a route down behind the cabin side lining down to another service trunking that runs along under the gunwhale. After that,we'll see.

On 02/04/2022 at 21:32, Ronaldo47 said:

A good quality standard bayonet BNC connector (and the more robust type N connector with screw coupling nut) has a rubber compression gland to seal the cable entry, and a rubber gasket within the coupling nut to provide a waterproof seal when the plug is mated with its socket. This applies to ordinary type of  plug with compression nut cable  entry. Crimp-type connectors do not have such cable entry seals but special  tools are required for assembling them anyway. 

Yes, I found the type that has a compression gland so appear to do away for the need of a special crimper. 

4 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Brilliant stuff. BT used to wrap underground steel fuel pipes in it. When dug up years later and the Denso cut off the steel pipe was still in perfect condition.

On 03/04/2022 at 12:04, bizzard said:

Excellent stuff is self amalgamating tape, and really for a permanent job. It needs to be applied with continuous gentle stretch for it to self amalgamate properly. On the odd occasion that I've had to open it up I gently slice it longways with a craft knife.

Also worth remembering that self-amalgamating tape breaks up after longs exposure to UV. It's good practice to overwrap it with a good quality insulating tape.

• Greenie 1