Overnight mooring recommendations in Manchester

Martin Megson

Featured Posts

Islington Marina is nice and safe maybe a charge though. There's the Thomas Telford basin - not sure if you can get out -  and a mooring at the bottom of the Ashton just before the bridge but there's no access to the city. I once stayed in Piccadilly just above the top of the nine and it was okay despite being close to the underpass.  

Same as Midnight-stopped in Piccadily on the Ashton Junction.Was a bit noisy as the geese are 24hr honkers 😄

Next overnight stop for me would be at least outside the Boat and Horses -have overnighted in Failsworth outside the taxi office once and it was peaceful. But wouldnt reccomend it or probably try it again either 😃

Welcome back, Martin!  Looks like you didn't leave the cut and Mr Bunbury in 2018 after all.   Hope you are still enjoying it.  I think we met at St Ives on the Great Ouse a few years back.  I can't add anything actually useful to this thread except that I've moored at Piccadilly Basin (twice) and Islington Marina without problems.

New Islington is ideal, even if you have to pay, as it gets the first two locks done. Recent reports are that it is rammed with no space. We overnighted there in October only by breasting up to an empty boat.

Boat and Horses is the first stop so a long hard day, or could push on to the Rose of Lancaster if you have time.

Next stop is at the top of the Slattocks flight, and after that through Rochdale and stop in Littleborough. After that you can stop anywhere you want as long as the water is deep enough.

11 hours ago, Martin Megson said:

Thanks for the tips guys. 
Mac I did sell my boat in 2018, I’m helping a friend bring his boat up to Ripon. 

Instead of coming down the Ashton then up the Rochdale have you considered the HNC and Standedge Tunnel instead? Would be shorter and probably fewer locks.

But if you do come via Manchester we stayed in Telford Basin and a local resident gave us the gate code to get out. It might be a key fob by now though! We've also stayed on the towpath opposite. There's quite a lot of footfall but we had no bother.

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

1 boat a day?

Whats the reasoning behind that? 

Just looked on the website and they give no reason as such, other than to say they have had to revise their schedule. 
I guess they have only one pilot.

Useless. 

Last October the chaperones that took us and two other boats through on the same passage were voluneers. I can't see that the number of available volunteer would have reduced.

12 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Last October the chaperones that took us and two other boats through on the same passage were voluneers. I can't see that the number of available volunteer would have reduced.

I can’t think of any other reason why they’ll let only one boat (from each direction) through a day other than a shortage of staff.

Are there any works going on in the tunnel? It don’t say so on the CRT website.

Edited by Goliath

I think due to Covid they’re insisting on 1 meter space between people so the usual chaperones aren’t working and they only have 1 person licenced and insured  to drive other peoples boats. 
bloody stupid if you ask me. Put a mask on and get on with it 

9 minutes ago, Martin Megson said:

I think due to Covid they’re insisting on 1 meter space between people so the usual chaperones aren’t working and they only have 1 person licenced and insured  to drive other peoples boats. 
bloody stupid if you ask me. Put a mask on and get on with it 

Dont understand this- surely he/she is there as a chaperone anyhow and not skipper ?

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Dont understand this- surely he/she is there as a chaperone anyhow and not skipper ?

Its CRT so 6 forms each with 20 tick boxes. If the steerer has a panic attack the chaperone has to drive. Is the chaperone insured for other boat tick or cross

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its CRT so 6 forms each with 20 tick boxes. If the steerer has a panic attack the chaperone has to drive. Is the chaperone insured for other boat tick or cross

I wonder if the Covid rules which said that  the skipper and the CRT person had to be two metres apart going through the tunnel, will still be in place this year. This means that boats with a trad stern or limited space at the back have to be driven through by the CRT person and the skipper has to be below.  I think most skippers would prefer any touching of the sides be done by themselves and not a CRT skipper who is not familiar with the boat. 

Edited by haggis

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

A good and valid point and hadnt thought of it from a CRT liability point of view.

I might try this as reverse psychology on CRT- I am beginning to develop a panic attack now everytime I get any where near trying to book a passsge through Standedge. (Havent managed it yet and will let you know in a few weeks..)😀

Edited by PaulJ

50 minutes ago, haggis said:

I wonder if the Covid rules which said that  the skipper and the CRT person had to be two metres apart going through the tunnel, will still be in place this year. This means that boats with a trad stern or limited space at the back have to be driven through by the CRT person and the skipper has to be below.  I think most skippers would prefer any touching of the sides be done by themselves and not a CRT skipper who is not familiar with the boat. 

Quite so.  When self-drive was being trialled, Fred Carter steered Cygnet while I stood inside wincing at every crunch.

• Horror 1

56 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Quite so.  When self-drive was being trialled, Fred Carter steered Cygnet while I stood inside wincing at every crunch.

We are booked on a Standedge Explorer cruise later this year but we won't know till we go down this week and measure the boat whether she will fit or not. 

42 minutes ago, haggis said:

We are booked on a Standedge Explorer cruise later this year but we won't know till we go down this week and measure the boat whether she will fit or not. 

All the allowable boat dimensions are on CRT's website.

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

All the allowable boat dimensions are on CRT's website.

Yes, thank you and I have printed the sheet out. The problem is that the boat is over 200 miles away and we will measure her when we go down to the marina this week. We will then let the organisers know if we can join the cruise or not in June.  

36 minutes ago, haggis said:

Yes, thank you and I have printed the sheet out. The problem is that the boat is over 200 miles away and we will measure her when we go down to the marina this week. We will then let the organisers know if we can join the cruise or not in June.  

Have you asked Ken if he has taken her through?

55 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you asked Ken if he has taken her through?

No, I never thought of that ! Has he, do you know ? I,ll send him an email. I think she will fit but we will measure her on Wednesday. If we can go though standedge, we plan to return via the Leeds and Liverpool if it has enough water and no stoppages. If not, it will be the Rochdale which we have done on the other direction. 

31083.jpg?w=900&fm=webp&s=a086fe9df2687f

31937.jpg?w=900&fm=webp&s=5109f20979c93a

That's the Standedge dimensions from the CRT website here. The table is trying to describe an angle and has one-inch heights for (D) and for each inch lower (reading from bottom to top), there is two inches wider in the (E) column. And that was easy enough to type, in 2001 when it was written (and not changed since). There you go: four foot no inches; four foot two inches; four foot four inches; four foot six inches; four foot eight inches; four foot ten inches ... err, oh, ten inches to the foot: that will be five foot no inches, then: next is five foot two inches ...

Of course, it's a three dimensional problem, so one profile will be harder on a seventyfoot boat than a twenty foot one. And it's not scientifically measured, either. We had a chap trying to measure the width with a stick and dropping vericals either side: the answer came out as seven foot one. Errr ...  "if it had been that we would never have passed 21W at Uppermill" ...