Quick question- can you wind in the Chester basin?

Tony1

Featured Posts

Apologies for such a daft and trivial question, but I cant recall seeing a boat winding in the basin when I was last there, and I'm visiting again tomorrow from the north- but the way I approach it will be governed by whether or not I can turn around a 50 foot boat within the basin.

So does anyone know- can a 50 ish foot boat turn around in the basin?

From memory I would say almost certainly yes, but if I'm wrong on that, and if there are no mooring spaces where I can stop, I'll be forced to carry on and go up through most of the chester locks, and I don't want to do that single handed tomorrow.

I'm coming into it from the north, so I do have the option of winding at the winding hole on the northern edge of the basin, and then reversing into it, but my boat cannot go straight in reverse no matter what I do, and there are going to be 20mph gusts tomorrow, so I want to avoid anything a bit tricky. 

Going in head first would be preferable, but only if I know I can turn around, because I want to head back towards the north in a few days.

Edited by Tony1

7 minutes ago, Timx said:

You should have a choice as to which way to wind , if it is windy tomorrow. Which is handy, so don’t think u will have any problem with just 50’ , enjoy.

Forecast says its going to blow from due north, so in theory it doesn't matter which way I turn round, but maybe I need to get turned around sharpish, before the wind carries me against the south end of the basin.

Its not very likely there'll be any mooring spaces anyway tbh, but if there is one I'd like to spend a couple of days there. If not I'll head north again for a few days, no bother. 

There are 48 hour signs on the towpath side of the basin, but on the side where the student flats are, there are no signs.

I'm wondering if this is why some boaters feel they can stay longer than 48 hours on that side. 

Edited by Tony1

5 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Forecast says its going to blow from due north, so in theory it doesn't matter which way I turn round, but maybe I need to get turned around sharpish, before the wind carries me against the south end of the basin.

Its not very likely there'll be any mooring spaces anyway tbh, but if there is one I'd like to spend a couple of days there. If not I'll head north again for a few days, no bother. 

There are 48 hour signs on the towpath side of the basin, but on the side where the student flats are, there are no signs.

I'm wondering if this is why some boaters feel they can stay longer than 48 hours on that side. 

We spent a winter half on the Weaver and half in the Chester area and did overstay a bit outside the student flats. We had no trouble from the students and did not get a "please move on" email from CRT which surprised me. I would assume they are at least 14 day moorings. The Telford pub is really good as long as you like late nights and music, though some nights it was paid entry only and has probably got a bit more student focussed of late. Theres a very good micro pub just down the road, (goat and munch), feels like its aimed at trendy students but is mostly fraternised by hard drinking and sociable grown ups.