2 month hire - where to go ?

cisamcgu

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, cuthound said:

On both of my shareboats and my current boat a tankfull of diesel lasted about 3 weeks of 8 hour days. All.had tanks of around 225-250 litres.

Also check with Rose whether the boat hire costs include diesel or not -- some do, some don't. If they do then you usually refill and pay for the fuel and claim it back from Rose when you return the boat. Just be aware that few hire boats (actually, not a single one that I've ever been on) have a diesel fuel gauge because normally they get back to the hire base long before the tank is empty, so you'll have to make sure you don't run out, which usually means dipping a stick into the tank -- I'm sure Rose can tell you what you need to do.

14 minutes ago, Tacet said:

I would be looking to cross the Penines at least once; all three canals are splendid so it is one of the great cruises, in my view.

I would heartily agree, and suggest that the OP does the HNC as one of those -- lots of locks (but easier than the Rochdale, and the L&L swing bridges...) but a real experience. Unless you don't like tunnels, in which case avoid it like the plague... 😉

9 minutes ago, cisamcgu said:

We did a week on the L&L a couple of years ago - beautiful, but the swing bridges spoiled it a lot, we dreaded the turn around and having to face them again on the way back :( 

Some of them were complete b*stards when we did it last year, a couple were basically immovable by one person. And *much* less enjoyable than locks, in my view...

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/04/2022 at 14:16, cisamcgu said:

Oh, another question if I may ?

We are planning on hand washing our clothes during the trip, but how feasible is it to dry them on the boat ? Would it cause condensation issues maybe ?

You are thinking about washing but I ordered a new tracksuit from the revenge merch store during the trip because it was needed overtime to dry.

As you pass through Birmingham, make time to visit the awesome Black Country Living Museum at Tipton. You can moor overnight on site or very close by. It's a full day's visit, so you'll need 2 nights or an afternoon and the following morning if you schedule a one night stay. Oh, and you'll be needing to try the pub and the fish and chip shop! 

• Greenie 1

On 04/04/2022 at 10:16, cisamcgu said:

Oh, another question if I may ?

We are planning on hand washing our clothes during the trip, but how feasible is it to dry them on the boat ? Would it cause condensation issues maybe ?

The main issue with drying clothes after hand washing is that they'll be sopping wet no matter how much you try and wring them.  You could take a small spin dryer with you which might help.  Otherwise, it could take days to dry and yes, cause condensation issues inside the boat, and take up a lot of space.  I try and dry outside on a rotary line as much as possible, so you could take a freestanding rotary airer.  But this is sounding complicated now.  If I were hiring a boat for 2 months, with no washing machine, I'd use launderettes.  You'll need to buy this canal launderette guide:  http://aylesburycanal.org.uk/laundrette-list/

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As you pass through Birmingham, make time to visit the awesome Black Country Living Museum at Tipton. You can moor overnight on site or very close by. It's a full day's visit, so you'll need 2 nights or an afternoon and the following morning if you schedule a one night stay. Oh, and you'll be needing to try the pub and the fish and chip shop! 

If you like pubs, you could also do worse than visiting the Bull and Bladder (The Vine, Batham's brewery tap). Or moor at the Withymoor Island Trust overnight and walk up to Ma Pardoe's (The Old Swan). Or both 🙂

On 04/04/2022 at 10:39, Stroudwater1 said:

Why? the non tidal parts are perfectly safe and the Avon (Plus many others) is lovely and the tidal parts are too if you plan correctly. they may flood but you do get notice of that. 

I lived on the Avon for 3 years. It can flood very quickly indeed and you won't get much notice. I've seen it rise 8ft in 48 hours after heavy rain. The EA warnings generally come after it's happened, so you just have to keep your eye on the weather. 

Edited by blackrose

8 hours ago, blackrose said:

I lived on the Avon for 3 years. It can flood very quickly indeed and you won't get much notice. I've seen it rise 8ft in 48 hours after heavy rain. The EA warnings generally come after it's happened, so you just have to keep your eye on the weather. 

Agree- I did state you do get notice, apologies should have said the notice is that if its raining a lot it will quite possibly flood, 😃Its indeed unwise to rely on EA warnings. you would be very unlucky if it was raining so heavily to cause floods in Warwickshire yet no rain in Evesham. Its sad to avoid such lovely navigations on the chance it will flood. The floods in Summer usually go down rapidly, and theres many places safe to stop if flooding is likely.  

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, cisamcgu said:

Crossing the Pontcycyllte Aqueduct - is it one boat eastwards, then one boat westwards, or first come first served or .. ?

Thanks

Andrew

It is a free for all.

On 06/05/2022 at 08:43, doratheexplorer said:

I wonder how often there's been a proper stand-off, with both boats refusing to reverse back out.

Rarely I would think.  The boat heading downstream would always have a massive advantage if they meet in the middle!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

we have started our journey, and have a quick question.

Bancroft basin in Stratford - how easy it is to get a mooring there for 24 hours in the next couple of days ? And if we did get to the basin and found it full, is it possible to turn there ? 

Thanks

Andrew

48 minutes ago, cisamcgu said:

Hi all,

we have started our journey, and have a quick question.

Bancroft basin in Stratford - how easy it is to get a mooring there for 24 hours in the next couple of days ? And if we did get to the basin and found it full, is it possible to turn there ? 

Thanks

Andrew

I would expect there to be spaces in Bancroft this time of the year, if it is full there is plenty bit room to turn.  You can also go on to the river and moor but that does have a daily charge.

There’s plenty of Gongoozlers there, so turning is better done early or late in the day perhaps!
 Hopefully you will get a place, the mooring is often nicer below the lock tbh so  leaving room in Bancroft-  Appreciate you aren’t keen to go on the Avon yourselves though it’s only £5 a day, it’s lovely upstream of Stratford too.

Thanks for all the advice, we managed to moor in the basin without crashing or sinking - so a victory for us. Looking forward to spending a couple of days here, sadly there is no show at the RSC until Tuesday evening, and we will have to leave by 4pm on the Tuesday, our 48 hours will be up - oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks again

Andrew :)

joeystrat.jpg

Edited by cisamcgu
  • Greenie 1