FIGHT ............... River Trent boat owners threw punches in row over moorings

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, Steve Buxton said:

I think one of the reasons my wife wanted a boat was so that she could take part in The Riverside Festival from the water - would have been cheaper to get one of those inflatable canoes 🙂

Just the one canoe though and a single person one at that😊 It’s always popular. As I say I don’t know if it’s on this year with the last few years being effected by Covid. I’ve always enjoyed mooring there, always quieter then the moorings more in the city by the Marina.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That was the Glasgow Ice cream wars. (I remember it well - I was working in the area)

The Ice Cream Wars were turf wars in the East End of Glasgow, Scotland, in the 1980s between rival criminal organisations selling drugs and stolen goods from ice cream vans. Van operators were involved in frequent violence and intimidation tactics, the most notable example of which involved a driver and his family who were killed in an arson attack that resulted in a twenty-year court battle. The conflicts generated widespread public outrage, and earned the Strathclyde Police the nickname of "Serious Chimes Squad" (a pun on Serious Crime Squad) for its perceived failure to address them.

Not the only ones I understand

7 hours ago, MtB said:

One would hope so. The article starts with this masterpiece of ghastly English:

"The pair were sat on their boats at Trent Bridge when it was the victim who was abusive to Neil Brice."

The judge also deserves censure for coming up the the term "excessive self-defence", whatever that means! 

Correct Nottingham would be “The pair wor sat on their boats at Trent Bridge sorry, when it wor the victim what wor abusive to Neil Brice.”

Obviously errors in translation.

Edited by PaulD
Typo
  • Greenie 1

I did try to read the text written by legal affairs correspondent Rebecca and did wonder if the wording was quoted with the precision of a that in the court and she did not put the transcript into a more readable format.

Modern phones can record words, may she did that to save writing down a transcript, But then are journalist allowed to record conversations in a court of law ? 

It seems Will Smith might have heard about this case though!