Oil pressure gauge connector

Callum4878

Featured Posts

Hi, can someone tell me the name of the connector I need to connect a remote gauge to my engine please. Gauge has a parallel thread and needs a copper washer for the connector female  and a flare male on the other end. I intend to use a piece of imperial copper tube I have to complete the install, and I have a flare/sewage kit. Not sure of thread sizes, maybe M16 on the gauge end.

Thanks.

I very much doubt anyone will be able to tell you because all the telepaths have left the forum. Perhaps if you could mention the make and model of engine and include a photo of the proposed take-off point, a non-telepath might be able to help?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I think one end has a "washer" like structure soldered onto the tube. The nut is like an ordinary compression fitting nut but with a flat on the inside instead of the taper seat. I think the thread could be anything from a special brass thread through BSF and UNF to metric, might even be a fine cycle type thread.

I think the OP needs to get a thread gauge to find out what thread is at either end. if this is for an ordinary boat I would suggest getting an electrical gauge and sender, then is only needs a length of cable.

Photos with something to scale from might help.

Thanks for the helpful responses!

Maybe I should have checked for predictive text before sending, but I think most people would know sewage was actually swage.

Tony, what you described as you see is what I have, and the pipe you sent the link for would work, but want to use copper.

I’m thinking the thread shown is metric?, as it’s 16mm in diameter and has 18tpi, and the tube I have I’ve now measured and is 3/8”, so a couple of 3/8” flare nuts will do that, it’s just the adaptor I need.

image.jpg

14 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

I’m thinking the thread shown is metric?, as it’s 16mm in diameter and has 18tpi, and.......

Well if it is 18 tpi it is  not metric.  That would equate to a pitch of 1.4111111...mm.

Threads that are 18 tpi include 7/16 BSF, 5/8 UNF and 5/8  ANF.  16mm is pretty close to 5/8in .

For ISO metric,  no threads with a 1.4 mm pitch are  listed.  Nearest is  M 10 at 1.5 mm pitch in the graded coarse series or a fine series constant pitch at 16mm in the 1.5 pitch series.

My money is on 5/8 UNF.

N

33 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

Tony, what you described as you see is what I have, and the pipe you sent the link for would work, but want to use copper.

I’m thinking the thread shown is metric?, as it’s 16mm in diameter and has 18tpi, and the tube I have I’ve now measured and is 3/8”, so a couple of 3/8” flare nuts will do that, it’s just the adaptor I need.

Have you contacted them to ask if they can supply just the ends? I just Googled mechanical oil pressure gauge connections, that was the first hit, there may be others.

You could cut the brass parts out of the tube and then silver solder them to your  copper pipe. You may need a copper sleeve. Unless you know what you are doing I would suggest that you don't try to braze them because the brass has a higher melting point so it is all too easy to melt the copper and brass fittings. I fear soft solder may fail over time but I don't think soft soldering would be a BSS issue on oil.

To the best of my knowledge there is no standard metric pipe thread. The ISO standard for iron pipe theads is BSP for countries other than the US sphere of influence, where threads based on the Briggs pipe thread are standard ( NPT , SAE Dryseal, NTPF etc). 

18 tpi is not a pitch used in the BSP range, but it is used in the American range. From my copy of "Machinery's Guide to World Screws" it corresponds to the nominal 3/8" NPT/API  pipe size (approx 0.62" external diameter) .  Iron pipe threads are still referred to by the original nominal pipe bore diameters, and are always somewhat smaller than the actual external diameters. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

This is almost certainly 1/4 bsp parallel thread that uses a copper seal washer inside a fitting called a gauge adapter.

These are widely available from hydraulic fitting suppliers usually for metric OD pipes, commonly 6mm is the smallest used.

This is quite a large fitting on a small gauge.

If you are looking to use copper or brass pipe with a neat and compact flat faced fitting then this needs to be silver ( hard soldered) to the pipe.

This type of fitting is used in the refrigeration/air conditioning industry on commercial equipment, they also will have the kit to hard solder pipes. Soft soldering will work but can be difficult to get a good joint on small pipes.

I you cannot find want you need P M me and I will look further. 

Should have said 50mm gauges are 1/4 inch, most larger are 3/8 inch bsp upto 6 inch gauges when the connection is usually 1/2 bsp