Boating Expenses

Jash

Featured Posts

On 31/03/2022 at 12:12, doratheexplorer said:

Ok so here's mine, all rough estimates, over the last 12 months.

Mooring fees:  £600.

Insurance:  £120.

Coal:  £300.

Calor Gas: £90.

Diesel: £200.

Petrol: £50.

BSS cistificat: £150 - divide this by 4.

Engine service:  £150.

Other maintenance:  £100.

Elsan Blue:  £20?

L-shaped sofa reupholstered - £900.

New squirrel stove fitted with new chimney and collar - £1000ish

Boat licence £1000ish.

Other years will be different, but the overall costs probably don't change a lot.

Note:  I actually live aboard, unlike most of the responders.

I'm wondering about the mooring fee, are you a continuous cruiser or do you have a permanent mooring? I'm trying to figure out how much I can expect to spend on mooring rent if I get a permanent mooring. 

18 minutes ago, Heather22 said:

I'm wondering about the mooring fee, are you a continuous cruiser or do you have a permanent mooring? I'm trying to figure out how much I can expect to spend on mooring rent if I get a permanent mooring. 

This is from the 1st page of the thread :

Mooring costs will vary hugely across the country from about £1500-£2000 for a Farmers field in the middle of nowhere in the 'North', to £15,000 for a serviced mooring in London. Typical 'Midlands' marina cost would be around £2500-£3000 per annum

1 hour ago, Heather22 said:

The only way to get an exact answer to that question is to contact marinas and other mooring providers in the area you want to moor and ask them how much.

8 hours ago, Heather22 said:

My on-line CRT mooring on the K&A ia about £3,500 a year. 

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm not sure why people are adding costs like food and wine to boating expenses? Yes, they're living expenses, but once you start including things like that where does it stop? Everyone will have different living expenses. Are you going to include your, car insurance, commuting costs, holidays, etc? If you want comparable costs it's best to stick to those related to the boat 

I tend to agree, but I guess food and drink costs might be an issue for people considering living on a boat to go to canalside pubs on a daily basis!

Not having a car, a commute or any foreign holidays in the last couple of years has certainly helped the bank balance 🙂

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

Everyone will have different living expenses. Are you going to include your, car insurance, commuting costs, holidays, etc? If you want comparable costs it's best to stick to those related to the boat 

Car insurance? Why I travel on a boat.

Commuting costs? Why I commute on my boat.

Holidays. Why? I wake up to a different view every morning.

Unlike @doratheexplorer the non explorer London Moorer.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Christine Rawcliffe said:

Hi , I have just bought a boat and have a moorings ,  I get moorings fees paid can I get help with paying my Licence .

If you’re on about claiming benefits then I believe you can get help with the license. 
 I think a couple of years back it was recognised/accepted that the benefit office will pay the license fee. 

Get in touch with your benefit office. 

Just looked it up and a license can be paid for under a claim for housing benefits.

This is regardless of having a home mooring or not.

Housing benefits will pay towards mooring fees and license but not towards insurance or BSS.

If anyone is refused they have a right to appeal.

Hope that helps.