Boatyards/Marinas with NB cranes

Tunicle

Featured Posts

Hello, hopefully this is the correct place for help. trying to find on site facilities to move a 57 ft narrowboat from lorry into canal. Is there a list of boatyards/marinas which have on site cranes to lift from lorry onto canal? Are local knowledge if no list, looking for one close to Staffordshire (so Trent and Mersey or Staffs and Worcester or Coventry Canals in first instance)

Thank you

40 minutes ago, magnetman said:

In my experience (3 long range low loader deliveries in England) the contractor doing the haulage will have a preferred delivery location. 

Have you asked them? 

Hi, yes have 3 quote requests out, conversations with them resulting in me asking the question. One is calling around, another says they have it sorted but has not given details (or quote) and third has a preferred site 3-4 days away. All were recommended but seem unfamiliar with thois part of the network.

Edited by Tunicle
grammar

Some boat yards will hire a crane and on a specific day to do boat lifts in bulk rather than have their own crane.  There was one at Great Haywood a few weeks ago.  You could try Streethay Wharf, they may have their own crane now.

Just now, Rob-M said:

Some boat yards will hire a crane and on a specific day to do boat lifts in bulk rather than have their own crane.  There was one at Great Haywood a few weeks ago.  You could try Streethay Wharf, they may have their own crane now.

No crane here

They get one in when a few boats need moving

If you only want a yard with their own hoist then consider Newark marina (£160 lift off the truck and into the River when a friend had his 57 foot dropped in) you then have about 1 day cruise into Nottingham and the next day you are onto the T&M.

If a yard is bringing in a crane especially for you it can be very expensive - the marina we are in tries to get all boats in / out together and splits the costs but if its just for 1 boat it comes out at around £1000.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 hours ago, Tunicle said:

Hello, hopefully this is the correct place for help. trying to find on site facilities to move a 57 ft narrowboat from lorry into canal. Is there a list of boatyards/marinas which have on site cranes to lift from lorry onto canal? Are local knowledge if no list, looking for one close to Staffordshire (so Trent and Mersey or Staffs and Worcester or Coventry Canals in first instance)

Thank you

Norton Canes Boatbuilders at Glascote have craning days

1 hour ago, Tim Lewis said:

Norton Canes Boatbuilders at Glascote have craning days

But like other yards, they hire in when they have a few lifts to do.

I'm told that for the relatively few lifts most yards do, it simply isn't worht the costs of owning and maintaining a crane, and keeping it certified and insured etc.

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I'm told that for the relatively few lifts most yards do, it simply isn't worht the costs of owning and maintaining a crane, and keeping it certified and insured etc.

Thats why I suggested Newark Marina, it is a main entry / exit point for the Trent and their hoist is available every day.

It can lift boats up to 40 tonnes and over 14 foot beam (we are 14 foot beam and as you can see there is plenty of space left).

20191010-104925.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 28/03/2022 at 16:41, Tunicle said:

Thank you

Debdale just north of foxton locks

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know they can lift in and out, but can they lift off a lorry?

I don't know that for sure. Their crane could get high enough I think, having seen it in action, but perhaps their yard might be a bit tight in space for manoeuvring a lorry.