Liverpool

mark99

Featured Posts

Clearly busy as tug owners and lightermen in the twentieth century 

In June 1933 The Liverpool Screw Towing and Lighterage Co clamied to have the most powerful tugs in the world

Black Cock, East Cock, Fighting Cock, Flying Cock Heather Cock, Marsh Cock, May Cock,North Cock, Peacock, Parie Cock, Sea Cock, South Cock, Storm Cock,Thistle Cock, Weather CockWest Cock and Wood Cock

It is of interest to know why the "cock" suffix was used

14 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Clearly busy as tug owners and lightermen in the twentieth century 

In June 1933 The Liverpool Screw Towing and Lighterage Co clamied to have the most powerful tugs in the world

Black Cock, East Cock, Fighting Cock, Flying Cock Heather Cock, Marsh Cock, May Cock,North Cock, Peacock, Parie Cock, Sea Cock, South Cock, Storm Cock,Thistle Cock, Weather CockWest Cock and Wood Cock

It is of interest to know why the "cock" suffix was used

A surname of the founder maybe? I did check and it is a surname sometimes derived from Dutch de Cook or de Kok, it also used to be a nickname for red hair or rosy hair

17 hours ago, tree monkey said:

it is a surname sometimes derived from Dutch de Cook or de Kok, 

There is a current African international cricketer called Divan le Cock. I shudder to think how he spends his spare time.

• Haha 1

Derek,

I gather you have some knowledge of traction engines, were any named with "Cock" in the name

If I recall there was a steam locomotive Cock of the North

There was definitely an industrial locomotive Blackcock that was used by the Cannock Chase Colliery to bring coals to the South Staffordshire Railway and BCN.

21 hours ago, Heartland said:

Derek,

I gather you have some knowledge of traction engines, were any named with "Cock" in the name

There was definitely an industrial locomotive Blackcock that was used by the Cannock Chase Colliery to bring coals to the South Staffordshire Railway and BCN.

"Some" knowledge, but not a lot! In my teens I bought 'A Century of Traction Engines' by  W. J. Hughes and still have it, but can find no traction engine within named with 'Cock' in the title. As Roger says and witnessed, 'Cock of the North' is the most likely, but most were given names such as; Simplicity; Lord Roberts; Her Majesty; Clyde; Little Giant; Invincible; Old Nick; Fred; and so on. 'Woodcock' comes to mind, but more likely from my trains spotting days.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/traction-engine-name-plate.html

As I lived on the Piccadilly line in my childhood, a trip to the northern terminus at Cockfosters was always a welcomed excursion into the 'countryside', and where one met the buffers! End of the line.

Looking through my Ian Allan, 'ABC of British Railways Locomotives' combined volume (Summer 1958, 10/6d), there were only three locos with the word cock in them; 'Adam Woodcock' an 4-4-0 class D30 of 1914; 'Cock O' the North' an A2 Pacific 1943 numbered 60501; and 'Woodcock' a Gresely A4 Pacific 1935 numbered 60029 - one of the 'Streaks'.

Edited to add: It can be read on some websites that Woodcock (the A4) was renamed Dominion of Canada. Yet in my 1958 ABC BOTH locos are listed, Dominion of Canada numbered 60010. and Woodcock as 60029! And as I have them 'underlined', it is clear that I 'copped' them both in either 1958 or '59.

Edited by Derek R.

56 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Think I prefer the original . . .

I think you're supposed to!

The lead singer Ron Dante went on to sing with The Archies who inflicted 'Sugar Sugar' on an unsuspecting world.

On 01/04/2022 at 11:13, Heartland said:

Derek,

9QlFcZ4ZawoJzJscCLbUkfj85y5VUNK8_DdwsK8EywTuvNag6n13Aq871VuqlhxXWvIQHZNi2OcwJZO1rTGpuiJJ_-sn6jS2ol4OG8QeoBGYh7jnNEmzluNVk6vPe4-Ko9bIF1hKtO-O9aSQFVjTrmM_OAWBcJpgcDoj3rZ6XQu0TszH0CUwz71GnC0rwQGBskT7XjdD8T13t80DcPDbq4sIwD0udJiRy7lHQHm6Nu8ifILGJpGdq0sSLNhUpe3j-XVDmYxAycuypwphwsS_vkVmCYvaimN8gy_5cFGbGscGOgC0cRyFUGG2b8poAgEV0r1z1rY4ko8ZIyDrckYSWD4PuJ4Vw_3YNU1eEeZ6KI07pWl8iiVUUrOeVrtLsbE0Zjh-Ax7MKJAJqeIuHV0tREnsD7wc7OKwJUO8zpLSrLw6VmxmnDx_88BclcleHOVDI5m9Q4Ox8Y84uLge7sSVGhWa08jSbdTBXdaujGhofNqfMj0OrUD6wBIK0uWfShqTVhqWqbIpDmQ_vio94sn27AYzZKK6hqAWgb_p5uC_fSfti9wZeXNPipS-mgpWeQpMksus3Keuc5ALRIuubTFcRqIFM8jZ2zkTKacIQtqum_df7EA_NSOy8WQ0al-1wcFqamhbyihTV9_LrqTsn_BreS54Z9jd5QZ_C5MlnP8ZCPotV0XHspPnOUE8NO3BdCZ54fbJirnRsMUEjpFhpyV6EE3GeAboNa6aPOA0vI37t3IHMc0Y-rEyKTKsbxo4CvIuODvIQP-H3ORW1Kv0JU7eVm1qyhFrbDECi2s=w945-h1259-no?authuser=0

On 02/04/2022 at 18:41, Derek R. said:

That long link leads me to a Google account, which despite me having been logged into my Google account, will not show whatever is in the link.

Oops, sorry about that -- it just showed up as a photo when I added it, like this...

IMG_20160822_125442872.jpg