FM reception

RickS

Featured Posts

I have a DAB radio which pretty much works perfectly anywhere on the boat. Rather than buying another one to save moving the first one around with me, I have an FM/MW radio which gets great reception in the kitchen on top of the bread bin with its aerial extended across the window, until precisely 13:28 every day!?

Then it's just static and can't use it.

Anyone had this before and does anyone know what causes it? Do the turn the transmitter down at lunchtime 🙂 ?

Try walking around a couple of hundred meters to see if you can identify the source.  Is it powered by you boat on by it’s own internal batteries?  If powered by the boat see if running on it’s own battery helps.  How long does the interference last for?  If it’s exactly 13:28 everyday it must be something on a timer, do you have anything?

Edited by Chewbacka

56 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Is this in a marina or all over the system? Shoreline charger in use or not? When does any solar or other charger drop into float?

My first guess would be something in local industry starting up.

Thanks Tony I'm In a marina at present. Shoreline charger is in use (no solar) and is pretty much always on float. I sorted out the bilge pump by the way, thanks for your advice with that.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Try walking around a couple of hundred meters to see if you can identify the source.  Is it powered by you boat on by it’s own internal batteries?  If powered by the boat see if running on it’s own battery helps.  How long does the interference last for?  If it’s exactly 13:28 everyday it must be something on a timer, do you have anything?

Thanks Chewbacka. It's running on it's own batteries. The interference, once started, seems to last for the rest of the day / eve. i don't have anything on timer myself and I can't see anything obvious in the immediate locality.

5 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Is it still going off at 13:28 after the BST change?

Thanks Jen. Only made a note of the time today, so that might be a bit of a leap by me, but certainly always during the lunchtime news on Radio 4. it kind of fades away to be replaced largely by static. Bit puzzling

I have poor FM reception on my boat when at its home mooring. I tend to find it gets worse as the day goes on, when at home. Not the sharpish cut off that you are hearing, but enough that it is too annoying to make out the program over the static later in the day. The other difference from your situation is that my FM radio sits on the rice storage jar by the kitchen window, rather than the bread bin! The fact that it only works in particular places and orientations is another indication that reception is marginal and that it won't take much to tip it in to static. These days I stream radio stations via the 4G intertubes, as I now have an unlimited data contract. The FM radio is still there for when I go out, as a set of four AA batteries will last many weeks between charges.

Jen

2 hours ago, RickS said:

I have a DAB radio which pretty much works perfectly anywhere on the boat. Rather than buying another one to save moving the first one around with me, I have an FM/MW radio which gets great reception in the kitchen on top of the bread bin with its aerial extended across the window, until precisely 13:28 every day!?

Then it's just static and can't use it.

Anyone had this before and does anyone know what causes it? Do the turn the transmitter down at lunchtime 🙂 ?

25 minutes ago, RickS said:

Thanks Jen. Only made a note of the time today, so that might be a bit of a leap by me, but certainly always during the lunchtime news on Radio 4. it kind of fades away to be replaced largely by static. Bit puzzling

Does the Archers start at 13:30 ?

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Does the Archers start at 13:30 ?

Ha ha. That would be too much to hope that it is a self-editing radio. Hears the Archers and gives up until the next day!

1 minute ago, booke23 said:

Maybe try another FM radio to rule out any issues with your current radio. If it still persists, report it to Ofcom....you can do it online and they'll investigate. 

The only other FM radio I have gets nothing except when outside the boat

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, RickS said:

The only other FM radio I have gets nothing except when outside the boat

Does it get a signal outside the boat after 13.28? Hold off reporting to Ofcom RTIS* until you are sure it's not some piece of equipment on your boat.....they might confiscate it! (equipment causing interference on FM not the boat)

*I've just read that Ofcom now no longer investigate interference to FM radio (they still investigate most other interference cases). So you need to report it to the RTIS (Radio and television investigation service - run by the BBC), who will then pass it to Ofcom if necessary.  

Edited by booke23

9 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Does it get a signal outside the boat after 13.28? Hold off reporting to Ofcom RTIS* until you are sure it's not some piece of equipment on your boat.....they might confiscate it! (equipment causing interference on FM not the boat)

*I've just read that Ofcom now no longer investigate interference to FM radio (they still investigate most other interference cases). So you need to report it to the RTIS (Radio and television investigation service - run by the BBC), who will then pass it to Ofcom if necessary.  

Yes, perfect clear signal on the well deck etc.

Don't really want to report anything as I'm sure lord Grade will have enough on his plate choosing the new wallpaper, more puzzled about what is causing it

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RickS said:

more puzzled about what is causing it

I suspect a very marginal signal because it is inside a Faraday cage (a steel boat) would be a popular suspect. The battery voltage will drop a bit after they having been turned on after resting and that might be enough for the receiver to be unable to sort out the signal.