Fenny Stratford lock

Rambling Boater

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

What could cause that? Earthquake? 😉

Nar - it's all due to blurry boaters crashing about the system.

Methinks a riased cill means something analagous to 'sproket out of true on t'treddle'...

as to the shortness of the closure being reported formally methinks it's a matter of following the rules, without engaging one's mind....

Give the guys at BW-CRT a bit of lattitude, please..

5 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

I'm not sure what they mean by a 'raised cill' either.

If this is one of the Grand Union locks which have a large balk of timber at the front of the cill. It may have been knocked out of position.

Edited by nbfiresprite

Some  15 years ago we were unable to enter a lock on the Fenny Compton flight because one of the bottom gates would not fully retract into its recess. CRT soon came out and diagnosed it as a piece of wood from the cill that had come away. They fixed it in under 3 hours from the time I rang them. 

Edited by Ronaldo47

5 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

What could cause that? Earthquake? 😉

Went to a very intersting talk at the National Canal Restoration Conference at the weekend given by a senior CRT engineer who expalined many of the reasons for bed failures including water pressure pushing up the bottoms of locks and canal beds.

Edited by Tim Lewis

21 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A bit hard to do (with a boat) on a lock with a rise of only a foot.

Cosgrove is not that much deeper, I hooked the front of the baseplate under the metal strap along the top of the timber there once about 20 years. Held the front of the boat down until it started to lift the timber. But which time I dropped the top paddles and open the bottom ones. The timber dropped back into place. Next time the boat was out the water, I modified the baseplate to prevent it happing again.