BMC starter motor

Madmark62

Featured Posts

Hi , help required please. I have a BMC1.5  engine in my boat and the starter motor went kaput, so I took it to a local place for rebuilding, they have lost it, so while I am in discussions about how they are going to sort it( it s looking like the company may be going under, so I am not holding out much hope). I need another one obviously, but this is where I am stumped, the old one only had 2 bolts holding the starter on, but all the ones I see for sale have 3. I cant get the part number from the old one , so and I realise this is a long shot, has anyone got any idea of which starter motor it could be or suggest a replacement ? 

I am needing to move the boat fairly quickly , so any advice on which one , is gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

If you have to buy one, try Lancashire Rotating Electrics in Leyland.  I think you can use a 3 bolt one and change the front mounting plate. They are Lucas M45G motors.

Thinking, you may be able to fit a 3 bolt one anyway, not sure.

26 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you have to buy one, try Lancashire Rotating Electrics in Leyland.  I think you can use a 3 bolt one and change the front mounting plate. They are Lucas M45G motors.

Neither am I but I know on some 1.5 starters getting a spanner onto one bolt was awkward so many 3 hole starters have been fitted with just two bolts. The only genuine two hole starter I have seen on a 1.5 was in the 60s and was an exceptionally early one.

In my day we changed any number of 1.5 starter drive end brackets so the solenoid sat at 10 o'clock looking backwards rather than at noon or 6 o'clock. The 6 o'clock ones used to fill the solenoids with bilge water on some cruisers.

Thanks for the replies, I will try and get to the boat tomorrow and do the rubbing, good idea.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Right I can get my hands on a 3 hole one tomorrow or Weds, so might try that

• 5 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Madmark62 said:

I forgot to reply to this thread. The starter motor is actually a 1.8 model, not 1.5. 

Still having trouble with the rebuild place.

To clarify. Are you looking for a 2 hole or 3 hole starter motor and Is  your engine a 1.5 or a 1.8 ? Calcutts are listing both.

53 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The flywheels are of a different diameter so the back plate is probably larger on the 1.8. I know we could not get a 1.5 starter to  work on a 1.5 or visa versa when we were trying to build a bitsa training rig.

All good info, learning as we go.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

All good info, learning as we go.

From memory the problem sounded very like what the OP describes. Seemed like a flat battery but intermittent, more often being difficult than starting. I think we were trying to get an automotive 1.8 into marine speck using parts from an marine 1.5. However as I was not doing the job I only have a hazy memory of what went on. I wonder if the pinions are different but I have no parts lists to look  it up.

On 26/04/2022 at 18:50, Slim said:

To clarify. Are you looking for a 2 hole or 3 hole starter motor and Is  your engine a 1.5 or a 1.8 ? Calcutts are listing both.

The engine is a 1.5, the starter motor is 2 hole.  I have got one now and it is working perfect.thanks for all the replies.