Shoreline Fridge Fan

Featured Posts

Hi Thank you for reading

I have a 12v Shoreline Fridge. I see on the compressor control box I can wire a fan between the " F Term" and "12v" ...It would help give a little more air movement in the somewhat  confined space.

Has anyone done this ...and have they any recommendations for the fan...I guess a 12v Brushless is a good start ...But also how big and how  to mount etc ? 

Thank you again

Andy

Just now, andybarrett1 said:

Hi Thank you for reading

I have a 12v Shoreline Fridge. I see on the compressor control box I can wire a fan between the " F Term" and "12v" ...It would help give a little more air movement in the somewhat  confined space.

Has anyone done this ...and have they any recommendations for the fan...I guess a 12v Brushless is a good start ...But also how big and how  to mount etc ? 

Thank you again

Andy

Computer fans are oft used for this - it can be wired in so that it only runs when the fridge is running (saves leccy).

Another method is to drill holes in the floor and screw a fan down so that it gets its cold air from the bilges and blows it up behind the fridge.

As Alan says.  Use a computer fan or fans.  Loads on the web.  I have a couple of fans from a 3D printer.

Don't exceed the current capacity of the 'F' terminal.

The other thing to watch is the location of the fridge condenser.  Older fridges have it on the back as a grid of pipes.  More recent versions may have it on the sides.  Our Shoreline fridge has it on the left side, looking at the door.   It gets warm when the fridge is running so you can find it easily.  Put the fans so they are moving cool air over the condenser.  If making a passage to the bilge for cold air dont forget to cut an inlet too.

N

23 minutes ago, BEngo said:

If making a passage to the bilge for cold air dont forget to cut an inlet too.

I agree but I think that you may find that there is ample gaps between floor and cabin sides to let air. If you decide to fit extra inlet then site them well away from the fridge so they are not sucking warm air down and recirculating it. If you really know your boat then  a vent it the lining for the front or rear bulkhead may do the job.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Computer fans are oft used for this - it can be wired in so that it only runs when the fridge is running (saves leccy).

Another method is to drill holes in the floor and screw a fan down so that it gets its cold air from the bilges and blows it up behind the fridge.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I agree but I think that you may find that there is ample gaps between floor and cabin sides to let air. If you decide to fit extra inlet then site them well away from the fridge so they are not sucking warm air down and recirculating it. If you really know your boat then  a vent it the lining for the front or rear bulkhead may do the job.

Mine is in the floor to draw cold air up over the condenser at the back of the fridge, some now put the condenser on the side of the fridge inside the casing

18 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I mounted 2 fans wired in series so run slower and quieter, mounted on a bit of ply covering holes in the floor behind the fridge.

32 minutes ago, pearley said:

I mounted 2 fans wired in series so run slower and quieter, mounted on a bit of ply covering holes in the floor behind the fridge.

Very similar, I have 3 in series running 24/7 on a 24 volt supply, yes they are running when not needed but I find you notice something starting and stopping but nor a constant very low volume noise. Mine is a 240 volt fridge by the way. I did publish the power saving when I first installed them

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1