Woodburners in Bedrooms

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But suffer terribly with alzheimers

No, you just need to fully discharge them every now and again. Well proven safe deep cycle technology, but around twice the price of a lead acid sealed deep cycle. 

NiMH are supposed to be better than NiCad, apart from higher self discharge rate.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

No, it doesn't.  Anywhere in the listing.

What it does say is LiFePO4 which is the cell chemistry used in the battery.

I'm beginning to wonder if you are not only a troll but are simply incapable of understanding stuff you read.

Missed out a second link that was supposed to be above the comment, as it was for a similar black battery. LiFe and LiPO4 are different types. If it has both and you tap on the wrong blue teeth button on your mobi, it explodes then turns into a ball of toxic smoke and fire. In fire fighting terms, all you can do is jump for the bank or into the canal, don't try a fire blanket or dry powder. Fit a burn through tube from a thru hull, then wait for the battery bay to flood before leaping back and closing the seacock. 

9 minutes ago, TNLI said:

No, you just need to fully discharge them every now and again. Well proven safe deep cycle technology, but around twice the price of a lead acid sealed deep cycle. 

NiMH are supposed to be better than NiCad, apart from higher self discharge rate.

The problem is not just they need discharging 'every now and again' they need discharging EVERY TIME THEY ARE PARTIALLY DISCHARGED,

That means that Solar is no use to you, running off the alternator is no use to you - you need a method of 100% discharging them everytime before you can start to recharge

As you like Google so much :

The Nickel Cadmium, NiCd rechargable cells were prone to an effect known as the memory effect.

The NiCd memory effect, affected cells that were repeatedly only partially discharged. The result was that after multiple partial discharges the cell would only discharge to the level it had been repeated discharged to.

The memory effect was obvious in applications where a NiCd had been used in an applications where it acted as a battery backup. Under normal circumstances a mains or other supply was used, but repeatedly the cell was discharged partially when the mains supply was not available, and then it was recharged.

It was reputed that the effect was first noticed in satellites where the Sun was used when it was available, but the NiCd batteries were used when the satellite passed over the dark side of the Earth. Accordingly the batteries were repeatedly partially discharged and then immediately recharged again without experiencing a full discharge. Soon it was discovered that their overall capacity was reduced as they "remembered" the amount by which they were normally discharged.

12 minutes ago, TNLI said:

NiMH have a much lower self discharge rate than NiCd.  Around 1-2% per month for NiMH as compared to ~10% per month for NiCd.

Standard rechargeable AA/AAA cells are all NiMH these days and will still be ~80% charged after 12 months.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

NiMH have a much lower self discharge rate than NiCd.  Around 1-2% per month for NiMH as compared to ~10% per month for NiCd.

Standard rechargeable AA/AAA cells are all NiMH these days and will still be ~80% charged after 12 months.

Thanks, I got it the other way around, but still can't find the elusive 12V marine NiCad, or NiMh that was sold by UK chandleries a few years ago. I will eventually need 8, and 2 10hp, (7.5 if you don't like electrical smoke), go cart motors, (48V). Rough plan is to use one until one bank is flat, then switch on the other motor. 2 small diesel gens sets in the sealed fwd cabin. That means I can suffer the failure of one side but still have the other available. In fuel efficiency terms, no better than an old BMC. 

Not buying anything yet, just researching where to buy batteries from.

Edited by TNLI

Just now, TNLI said:

Thanks, I got it the other way around, but still can't find the elusive 12V marine NiCad, or NiMh that was sold by UK chandleries a few years ago

Unlikely anyone is still making them.

Do some actual research on LiFePO4 batteries - not LiPO they are very different batteries.

Much higher energy density, no memory effects, don't care (actually prefer it) if they are left partially discharged for ages.

There's some cracking videos on YouTube of destruction testing of various Lithium battery types.  The one where the chap is shooting holes in an overcharged LiFePO4 is memorable.  I think it's the same guy who drops one into an incinerator too.  And connects one reverse polarity and dumps hundreds of amps into it ...

There's also a few done by various firefighters comparing different types.

3 hours ago, TNLI said:

Now this looks better, as they do a full range of NiCd batteries:

IBL Industrial Batteries | Saft Batteries | Saft Ni-Cad Batteries (ibluk.co.uk)

I had an industrial placement at SAFT Batteries when I was at college, after I complained that at my original placement, with the BBC I was being used as a glorified tea boy.

9 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'm beginning to wonder if you are not only a troll but are simply incapable of understanding stuff you read.

Never argue with an idiot.... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience...

• Greenie 1