Illegal to use red diesel for boat propulsion

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I think this a bit of urban mythology....seems completely unworkable to me ... I wouldn't expect to change or steam clean my 30 year old tractors fuel tank if I needed to use for non agricultural purposes and so put white in the tank.  ( I do have a 30 year old road legal tractor just to be clear)

Red diesel reality check:
Accepted use:
“A farmer transporting his livestock from the farm to the mart for sale at auction.”
Non accepted use:
“Farmers using red diesel for charity tractor runs.

It sure seems unworkable. Imagine the farmer putting 5 litres of white into the tractor tank half full of red diesel in order to do some "charity tractor runs". Government busybody turns up to dip the tank. Now what? 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have just had a bloke on a hire boat tell me that as well. He also said farmers couldn't drive their tractors on the road with red

Nothing new there 

Permitted only to travel between farm and fields locally

49 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

When hiring machinery, particularly if the machinery is likely to be used on construction sites too, farmers should check if there is an obligation from the hire company to use white diesel instead of red. 

My neighbour runs a large hire co down here in the SW, discussing this last time we were out his co policy is that all their kit must only be used with white, any customer using red will be billed  for cleaning and disposal of the fuel.

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Nothing new there 

Permitted only to travel between farm and fields locally

Maybe it doesn't affect Englandshire but farmers are permitted to use red diesel for clearing roads using snow ploughs etc on their tractors UNLESS they are contracted to do it by the local council in which case it is white only. This will have a big impact in a lot of rural areas in Scotland. 

And here's a whole new dimension to the debate courtesy of a large marine supplier of HVO on the Thames and Medway:

"Green BioFuels Ltd are supplying us with rebated, undyed product and their contact at HMRC has confirmed that their approach is correct.  The treatment of HVO from a duty perspective is the same as the treatment of fossil gas oil (red diesel) so if a vessel is entitled to use rebated fossil gas oil, it can use rebated HVO.  We are also being supplied with undyed fossil gas oil into our bunker barge for delivery to ships, again the rebate is generated through the BDN*, so whether or not it’s dyed seems not to matter anymore.

"Personally, I think this drive not to dye gas oil will end in tears, because some people are bound to cheat and buy rebated, undyed product for boats but then use it in cars and trucks.  However, there is no longer any requirement to dye rebated product, so presumably HMRC are happy to take the risk that people might cheat because HMRC’s ability to catch such people out is now seriously diminished".

(*BDN: https://www.exxonmobil.com/en/marine/technicalresource/marine-resources/bunker-delivery-notes

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

And here's a whole new dimension to the debate courtesy of a large marine supplier of HVO on the Thames and Medway:

"Green BioFuels Ltd are supplying us with rebated, undyed product and their contact at HMRC has confirmed that their approach is correct.  The treatment of HVO from a duty perspective is the same as the treatment of fossil gas oil (red diesel) so if a vessel is entitled to use rebated fossil gas oil, it can use rebated HVO.  We are also being supplied with undyed fossil gas oil into our bunker barge for delivery to ships, again the rebate is generated through the BDN*, so whether or not it’s dyed seems not to matter anymore.

"Personally, I think this drive not to dye gas oil will end in tears, because some people are bound to cheat and buy rebated, undyed product for boats but then use it in cars and trucks.  However, there is no longer any requirement to dye rebated product, so presumably HMRC are happy to take the risk that people might cheat because HMRC’s ability to catch such people out is now seriously diminished".

(*BDN: https://www.exxonmobil.com/en/marine/technicalresource/marine-resources/bunker-delivery-notes

I can't find any evidence to support ''there is no longer a requirement to dye rebated product'', none of the bulk suppliers mention this and still offer red diesel and red HVO for sale as well as white diesel and white HVO. 

Keith

1 hour ago, Steilsteven said:

I can't find any evidence to support ''there is no longer a requirement to dye rebated product'', none of the bulk suppliers mention this and still offer red diesel and red HVO for sale as well as white diesel and white HVO. 

Keith

Red HVO is still available through Crown Oil and a (very) few of its distributors but that doesn't mean to say that GBF Ltd are wrong. 30% owned by BP, I rather suspect they know the right people at HMRC to talk to.

8 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

Keith

As I understand it there is a chemical marker added to rebated fuel.

The presence of the chemical marker makes red dyeing of the fuel as a visual marker no longer necessary.

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

As I understand it there is a chemical marker added to rebated fuel.

The presence of the chemical marker makes red dyeing of the fuel as a visual marker no longer necessary.

But then if both types of fuel become identical in appearance, it will open up the defence,"I didn't know", wont it?:unsure:

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

But then if both types of fuel become identical in appearance, it will open up the defence,"I didn't know", wont it?:unsure:

7 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Or I asked for and paid for white and what he put in looked like white.

16 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Yep. 

It also opens up the defence of "I only broke the law in a limited and specific way". Now lemme think, who was it did that recently....?

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yep. 

It also opens up the defence of "I only broke the law in a limited and specific way". Now lemme think, who was it did that recently....?

But he didn't know it was a party. Are, I see what you mean

On 06/05/2022 at 18:46, MtB said:

More pertinently, once a drop of red diesel has been used in the tractor it can never be used again on the road whatever fuel was put in it last, as the marker chemical persists (apparently).

That is what I understand too, went to a presentation at HMRCs Compass House during Londons “open house” weekends 4 years ago and the HMRC inspector had all the testing equipment and van showing how the dipping and testing all worked. He was very clear on this, and demonstrated it. Diesel in the Republic of Ireland contains different chemicals but the same principle applied, and they usually tested for both. Both contain chemicals that persist  for absolutely ages, well past the colour disappearance. He wasn’t able to state for how long but he muttered about it being sometimes years. 

Which is a bit strange because if I remember correctly (unlikely at my age) during the last Fuel shortage it was suggested by HMRC that it would be OK to use red if necessary provided you paid them the duty on it. Now it is possible that I am all to cock with that.