Boat polishing

haggis

Featured Posts

can anyone recommend anyone who does narrowboat polishing? I occasionally see a guy who does it being mentioned on FB but trying to find anything there is impossible 🙂 

I wash kelpie a couple of times a year but she is needing a polish to help protect her paint and although we have an electric polisher on board I think we have only used it once - himself always has  more interesting things to do 🙂.  Anyone know anyone who does boat polishing in marinas?

haggis

I'm disappointed. I thought you might DIY!

It was always one of the most satisfying jobs we did on Naughty-Cal 😀

Looking forward to getting the machine polisher on the van in a couple of weeks. 

It somehow symbolises the start of the year and the start of some proper "cruising " for us. (Be that by water or road)

I would normally have done it myself but I have had three operations on my right eye this year so far with at least one more to come  so apart from not being able to see all that well, I am supposed to avoid doing anything strenuous. Not sure where boat washing and polishing fits in with that :-). In a few weeks time we are going down to the boat on the Wednesday to get our BSS on the Thursday then we will be staying in the marina till Sunday as we are driving to a relatives anniversary do on the Saturday. Having shore power it seems a good opportunity to give kelpie a face lift but then common sense stepped in 🙂 

haggis 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, baldlimey said:

Hi,

Where are you based?

We had ours professionally done once, took the guys 2 days.

Oddly enough I was thinking of asking them again as I have had 3 eye surgeries since October and am waiting on my 4th.

Pete

We are at Park Farm marina at the top of the Trent and mersey. Who did yours ? .

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

I polish my boat about once every 25 years, whether it needs it or not. 

Iain has much the same view but I like my car and boat to look good! Does that put me into the shiny boat brigade ?  🙂

2 minutes ago, haggis said:

Iain has much the same view but I like my car and boat to look good! Does that put me into the shiny boat brigade ?  🙂

I had to get my car washed on Thursday as C insisted it should be clean when we visit her mother today.  It's now covered in dust from the road down to the marina so a complete waste if time and money.

But it would look good for a while! When you say "had to get my car washed " does this mean you don't do it yourself ? When my activities were greatly reduced because of my eye problem one of the things which really bugged me was my dirty car. I am allowed to do a bit more now and my car is shining in the sun this morning

26 minutes ago, haggis said:

But it would look good for a while! When you say "had to get my car washed " does this mean you don't do it yourself ? When my activities were greatly reduced because of my eye problem one of the things which really bugged me was my dirty car. I am allowed to do a bit more now and my car is shining in the sun this morning

I run my van through a car wash every so often as it needs to look smart and professional when I arrive as a customer's house. More recently I've taken to washing it with a broom and a large tub of water as it seems actually quicker than the car wash, especially if there is a queue of a car or two in front.

But polish it? Life's too short!

I don't polish the car either I get them treated with Diamond Bright when they are new and a quick wash and they are all shiny again 😃. I went to a car wash once and it wouldn't work as my car was too wide. Never went back. 

2 hours ago, haggis said:

But it would look good for a while! When you say "had to get my car washed " does this mean you don't do it yourself ?

Absolutely not. When the local chaps charge £5 for wash and go why would I DIY? 😎

It looked good for 24hrs until I drove down to the dustbowl that is Ringstead 😱

Just now, jonathanA said:

Might be worth trying any local  mobile car valeting people. They usually have the buffing machines etc. 

Thanks, Jonathan, I have it all sorted now. 

21 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Absolutely not. When the local chaps charge £5 for wash and go why would I DIY? 😎

It looked good for 24hrs until I drove down to the dustbowl that is Ringstead 😱

The local chaps probably use pressure washers which I wouldn't have anywhere near my car 🙂 . I use a long handled brush which goes round with the force of the water and which has a bit you put the car shampoo in.  Then a hose with clean water. Job done in about 10 minutes. and I haven't spent £5 🙂 

6 minutes ago, haggis said:

Thanks, Jonathan, I have it all sorted now. 

The local chaps probably use pressure washers which I wouldn't have anywhere near my car 🙂 . I use a long handled brush which goes round with the force of the water and which has a bit you put the car shampoo in.  Then a hose with clean water. Job done in about 10 minutes. and I haven't spent £5 🙂 

Yes they do but from a distance for rinsing, not real close up. Plus a pre wash and then a foam wash. For me £5 is worth it 😁

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Yes they do but from a distance for rinsing, not real close up. Plus a pre wash and then a foam wash. For me £5 is worth it 😁

Who runs these places now? It always used to be Eastern European casual labour, employed by small-time drugs money launderers.

Or so I was told.

I have just cleaned my car windows, inside and out, and hoovered (well, Henry'd) the inside. No point in washing or polishing the paintwork, given that rain is on its way.

On 26/03/2022 at 17:57, baldlimey said:

It was actually a guy called Stephen Causon who is a car detailer, I have just dropped him an email to see if he would be interested in doing mine in Nottingham.

I've asked him if it is OK if I pass his email on to you.

Pete

We might be interested too.