Was anyone here involved in the Coventry restoration in the 1970s?

agg221

Featured Posts

I wondered whether anyone who was involved in the Coventry restoration in the 1970s might be able to clear up a mystery, or at least maybe help fill in some of the gaps.

The BCN had six iron ice boats built. The whereabouts of five of the six is fairly well known but the sixth, originally named Empress, was last seen being used as a mud hopper by the Coventry Canal Society. It was a heavily built wrought iron rivetted hull, around 35' long with a rounded bottom - it was originally horse-drawn and by that stage had not been converted.

Does anyone happen to have any photographs which might show it, or any idea what happened to it?

Alec

I suggest you look through the Herbert Dunkley collection of photos.

https://collections.canalrivertrust.org.uk/bw197

Bert was actively involved with the CCS in the period you mention.

To be pedantic, the Coventry Canal was never restored, as it has always been navigable, but the CCS have for a long time cleared rubbish from the section between Coventry Basin and Hawkesbury.

12 hours ago, John Brightley said:

To be pedantic, the Coventry Canal was never restored, as it has always been navigable, but the CCS have for a long time cleared rubbish from the section between Coventry Basin and Hawkesbury.

Didn't the Coventry Canal Society restore the Wyken Arm?

18 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Didn't the Coventry Canal Society restore the Wyken Arm?

I think the first part of the arm (canal to motorway) was done by Coventry cruising club and the 2nd part (other side of the motoway) was done by Coventry canal society.

Our boat picked up some interesting battle scars on the cabin sides when we moored in the cruising club and the canal society brought out Panther

2 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Yes, but the Wyken Arm is part of the Oxford Canal, not the Coventry !

Indeed! But I remember joining the canal society on a working party some time in the mid 70s when we did a rubbish clearance starting at Coventry Basin and ending up at the Wyken Arm. I can't remember the rubbish boat we used though.

On 27/03/2022 at 21:39, John Brightley said:

Thanks John, I have started working my way through the photos (there are a fair few of them!) Nothing yet but I remain hopeful.

It's a strange boat to have disappeared completely, as it should have been in reasonable repair, and a lot of effort to go to if someone broke it up.

Alec

The Weavers also took pictures of the Coventry Canal at that time. When I became secretary for the RCHS West Midlands Group in the 1990's there was still a joint meeting with the Coventry Canal Society in September, if I recall correctly.

As to how busy the Canal was post January 1948 is also a matter of discussion. There were still working mines such as Newdigate, Griff and Coventry who sent coal by canal, There was also the Foleshill Gas Works and may be Courtaulds then still active.

58 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The Weavers also took pictures of the Coventry Canal at that time. When I became secretary for the RCHS West Midlands Group in the 1990's there was still a joint meeting with the Coventry Canal Society in September, if I recall correctly.

The Rodney Weaver collection of photos can be viewed on the RCHS website -link here: Rodney Weaver collection

Most of the photos are much earlier than the 1970's though.

8 hours ago, John Brightley said:

The Rodney Weaver collection of photos can be viewed on the RCHS website -link here: Rodney Weaver collection

Most of the photos are much earlier than the 1970's though.

Thanks John - I have been through these and nothing relevant to Empress, but some very interesting records relating to The King which I hadn't seen before and have passed on to the owner, including the best photograph I have seen of it.

Alec