We have just bought a narrow boat. Advice required please.

David J Smith

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

No BSS implications at all and no insurance problems either.

I'm reasonably sure BS PD 54823:2016 demands nothing is stored in a gas locker other than gas bottles. 

So, channelling Alan's predilection for extrapolation and catastrophising, storing an anchor in gas locker invalidates the RCD if not the BSS, and therefore the insurance, and... blah blah... you get the picture! 

• Happy 1

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm reasonably sure BS PD 54823:2016 demands nothing is stored in a gas locker other than gas bottles. 

So, channelling Alan's predilection for extrapolation and catastrophising, storing an anchor in gas locker invalidates the RCD if not the BSS, and therefore the insurance, and... blah blah... you get the picture! 

I used to have 3 x 19Kg gas cylinders and when Weltonfield cocked up the re-bottoming of the locker the third 19Kg did not fit so in the end I dispensed with it. I have never been happy with storing paint etc inside the boat so after consulting the BSS I constructed a tall wooden, ventilated base box to take the place of one gas cylinder. Into this went the paint, white spirit, brush cleaner etc. and even spare petrol for the generator. Again no problem with the BSS. It was properly secured and stopped the gas bottles moving about.

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

IF I remember rightly when I had my BSS examiner on board he advised me to keep my white spirit and paraffin somewhere safer than on the floor in my cratch. 
And to keep them in a metal locker.

Which is a obviously a sensible thing to suggest.

I am sure he said if you ain’t got a separate locker then put them in the gas locker.

BUT I might be remembering wrong.

Needless to say the white spirit (for my oil paints and washing brushes) and my paraffin (for lamps) still sit out in cratch waiting for me to buy a metal container. 

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

IF I remember rightly when I had my BSS examiner on board he advised me to keep my white spirit and paraffin somewhere safer than on the floor in my cratch. 
And to keep them in a metal locker.

Which is a obviously a sensible thing to suggest.

I am sure he said if you ain’t got a separate locker then put them in the gas locker.

BUT I might be remembering wrong.

Needless to say the white spirit (for my oil paints and washing brushes) and my paraffin (for lamps) still sit out in cratch waiting for me to buy a metal container. 

Clearly someone who lives in the same place as you and me then, widely known as the real world. 

What BSS bods say and what the regulations say can be poles apart. 

The BSS actually says this:

7.4.4 Is the cylinder locker or housing clear of any items that could damage the LPG equipment or ignite escaping LPG vapour? R Check the contents of all cylinder lockers and housings. Cylinder lockers and housings must not contain loose sharp or heavy items such as anchors or mooring pins that could damage the cylinders or other LPG system components. Cylinder lockers and housings must not contain any item that could ignite escaping LPG vapour. 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Clearly someone who lives in the same place as you and me then, widely known as the real world. 

7.4.4 Is the cylinder locker or housing clear of any items that could damage the LPG equipment or ignite escaping LPG vapour? R Check the contents of all cylinder lockers and housings. Cylinder lockers and housings must not contain loose sharp or heavy items such as anchors or mooring pins that could damage the cylinders or other LPG system components. Cylinder lockers and housings must not contain any item that could ignite escaping LPG vapour. 

But that is only part of the story :

No rags, cloths, mops, carpet, mats etc allowed :

7.3.3 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could block the drain? R

Check cylinder lockers for any items which could block the drain.

Cylinder lockers must be clear of any item which could block the drain

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

I keep all me mooring pins in with the bottles and I got me shitty expanding hose in there waiting to be thrown away.

I do store in such a way there’s nowt resting on pipes or the regulator.

And I throw a few ropes in there for good measure.

I don’t think’ll be putting me flammables and inflammables in the mix too.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I keep all me mooring pins in with the bottles and I got me shitty expanding hose in there waiting to be thrown away.

I do store in such a way there’s nowt resting on pipes or the regulator.

I think one of the BSS concerns is the potential for bits of metal banging about to generate a spark, and, if there is any gas 'floating about' - BOOM !

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think one of the BSS concerns is the potential for bits of metal banging about to generate a spark, and, if there is any gas 'floating about' - BOOM !

An additional concern is anything which may block the gas locker drain holes including rags and other fabrics, rope etc which could help to  trap any stray gas, adding to the potential Boom scenario mentioned by Alan.

Howard

37 minutes ago, howardang said:

An additional concern is anything which may block the gas locker drain holes including rags and other fabrics, rope etc which could help to  trap any stray gas, adding to the potential Boom scenario mentioned by Alan.

Howard

See 4 posts above this (why can we not have post numbers ?)

On 25/03/2022 at 16:55, Alan de Enfield said:

From a magazine :

What Length of Mooring Chain Should I Use?

During the last seven and half months, I spent 129 days anchored (out of 228) in 61 different anchorages. The mean water depth was 6.50 meters and the scope 5/1. The total length of the anchor chain was about 30 meters, of which 23.5 meters was lying on the bottom (30 - 6.50 m)

Something improbable here in having 23.5m of a 30m chain lying on the bottom in 6.50 depth of water - unless the chain was fixed to the boat below the waterline.

6 hours ago, Goliath said:

I've got a empty steel tool chest here if you want ti.

On 25/03/2022 at 18:42, David Mack said:

Far better that the OP learns about engine maintenance and how rivers and currents behave, to minimise the chances of ever getting into the brown-trouser situation.

Sorry David but I don't get this at all. Surely it's not a case of choosing one approach or one being better than the other? You should of course maintain your engine, and understand river currents, but you MUST also have an anchor and warp at the ready in case the worst happens. It only takes some rubbish wrapped around your prop or a log jammed in there and you can't plan for that. So it's not a case of either/or... you should do both.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But that is only part of the story :

No rags, cloths, mops, carpet, mats etc allowed :

7.3.3 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could block the drain? R

Check cylinder lockers for any items which could block the drain.

Cylinder lockers must be clear of any item which could block the drain

Yes I once got a bollocking from an inspector for having a couple of flat hoses and a pair of wellies in my gas locker

• Horror 1

On 26/03/2022 at 07:15, David john Smith said:

Oh dear. Have I really made such a big mistake in buying the Danforth?? I only went there, because our previous 57 ft narrow boat had one. We never had to use it. So I wasn't aware of its possible poor performance.  I've have seen Danforth anchors stored on the roofs of narrow boats. I just thought they were the "Way to go". As I mentioned we are on the Great river Ouse in Cambridgeshire. And will be heading to the grand union canal.  Will someone come on here and say that the Danforth worked for them in an emergency. As I've lost confidence in my"Stupid " decision. I dare not tell the wife. Coz she has concerns as to where we store the darn thing.

Thanks for all your help and guidance guys

You'll be fine. In the unlikely event of engine issues the Great Ouse and Nene are narrow and gentle rivers where its easy to steer into the bank and you'll rarely be anywhere near a weir. I had recurring issues with air getting into the engine last year without once considering deploying the anchor when I stalled (not even when I was in the engine bay bleeding it)

Edited by enigmatic
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

You'll be fine. In the unlikely event of engine issues the Great Ouse and Nene are narrow and gentle rivers where its easy to steer into the bank and you'll rarely be anywhere near a weir. I had recurring issues with air getting into the engine last year without once considering deploying the anchor when I stalled (not even when I was in the engine bay bleeding it)

^^^ Look ^^^ 

The voice of reason at last! Have a big fat greenie.

One thing is certain, the OP's Danforth will be far more use than nothing in the vanishingly unlikely event of engine failure just next to a weir. There are other bad things in life far more likely to happen than this. 

This is one of those threads were we need people to lay out their river boating 'CV's.

Then people can form a judgement about the value of the advice given.

Im not convinced everybody is qualified or experienced enough to do so.

3 hours ago, enigmatic said:

On the tidal section of the Ouse between Denver and Salter Lode, keep away from the banksides which is deep sloping mud. If you stick here on a falling tide, you may not get off on the next tide due to the suction of the mud.   

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, nbfiresprite said:

On the tidal section of the Ouse between Denver and Salter Lode, keep away from the banksides which is deep sloping mud. If you stick here on a falling tide, you may not get off on the next tide due to the suction of the mud.   

I went through Denver Sluice on my second day of cruising the boat, and at the time I was warned of a shallow area on the left, just before Salters Lode, where a boat had stranded itself not long before.

With that advice in mind, I stayed towards the right as I went down the channel, not realising that its also quite shallow on the right hand side. Thank Heavens I got away with it, but it brought home to me that if you seek advice on a stretch of waterway, you need to get the full picture. A limited set of info could actually encourage you to endanger your boat, although I have to admit it was mainly blind ignorance that allowed me to think I could safely stay on the right in that kind of channel. 

• Greenie 1

On 25/03/2022 at 20:24, Tony1 said:

Congrats to you! I bought my boat on the Great Ouse (old west river) about 18 months ago, but I must confess I didn't have the slightest idea what I was doing. 

I stupidly went through Denver Sluice to reach the middle levels with no anchor and not even a lifejacket. I dread to think what might've happened if I'd lost power or hit something. 

But anyway, at least you're wise to the risks. Are you planning to move onto the CRT canals or staying on EA waters? 

You'll want to join the GOBA and FORTN first- its dead cheap and it opens up loads more mooring spots for you. 

One or two of the locks on the Nene need a certain type of windlass too if I remember correctly, but the boat might already have that. 

Its an amazing part of the waterways, and you've reminded me that I have to go back there one of these days. 

The OP might find this helpful. I have just updated it for 2022, and think it is all accurate ... 

https://goba.org.uk/a-guide-for-visitors-to-the-east/

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

The OP might find this helpful. I have just updated it for 2022, and think it is all accurate ... 

https://goba.org.uk/a-guide-for-visitors-to-the-east/

Missing contact details for Kev Russell  Middle Level Navigation Officer. The person to contact with any navigation problems

he can be contacted via kevin.russell@middlelevel.gov.uk   or  07725 134170.

25 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

Missing contact details for Kev Russell  Middle Level Navigation Officer. The person to contact with any navigation problems

he can be contacted via kevin.russell@middlelevel.gov.uk   or  07725 134170.

Thank you - yes I have found him helpful. I will add that soon(ish).