BCS Bow thruster

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm a new member but feel I may crop up on a regular basis.

I have a bcs thruster model BT 100N and require some minor spares for it but so far have been unable to find a supplier in the uk.

Any help would be grateful

Robbie

Hi and welcome to the forum. Before anyone else chips in, I have to say that over the 15 or so years I've been on this forum I've found that the consensus amongst narrow boaters is that  bow thrusters are great and every boat should have one. You won't get any negative responses. 😋

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. Before anyone else chips in, I have to say that over the 15 or so years I've been on this forum I've found that the consensus amongst narrow boaters is that  bow thrusters are great and every boat should have one. You won't get any negative responses. 😋

How much longer has your nose grown today ?

The Adventures of Pinocchio Movie Review | Common Sense Media

Ok, point taken. 

Just for you, the thruster has never worked since I've had the boat, ( sheer pin and solenoid sticking) but it's going into dry dock so I thought this would be a good time to sort it. The boat may go up for sale soon and as its fitted it should be working.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Thames Bhaji said:

I have a BCS BT100 - I don’t think anyone still does actual spares for it, but these shear-pins fit: https://www.vetus-shop.com/set-of-shear-pins-5x-vetus-bow-thruster-80kgf-p-2599.html

Do you know if the solenoid is getting 

11 minutes ago, Thames Bhaji said:

I have a BCS BT100 - I don’t think anyone still does actual spares for it, but these shear-pins fit: https://www.vetus-shop.com/set-of-shear-pins-5x-vetus-bow-thruster-80kgf-p-2599.html

Do you know if the solenoid is getting power? 

Thanks for the vetus link, very useful. Yes the solenoid is getting power but only runs in one direction. Trying it the other way and it just clicks, I'm guessing points are struck due to incorrect use.

Ok, point taken. 

Just for you, the thruster has never worked since I've had the boat, ( sheer pin and solenoid sticking) but it's going into dry dock so I thought this would be a good time to sort it. The boat may go up for sale soon and as its fitted it should be working.

If you are going on the dock,         VITAL  that you black inside the BT tube, many are rusting through in no time at all.  Solenoids often are Albright or Allen Bradley.

There should be fuses somewhere.  Motor brushes are like starter motor brushes, an auto electrical shop should be able to sort them out.

41 minutes ago, Robbie.C said:

Thanks for the vetus link, very useful. Yes the solenoid is getting power but only runs in one direction. Trying it the other way and it just clicks, I'm guessing points are struck due to incorrect use.

If all else fails let me know. As it happens I’ve just removed mine and replaced it with a home-brewed proportional control which appears to be working fine. If it’s still OK in a couple of months I can’t imagine ever using the solenoid again so would be happy to send it to you. 

16 hours ago, Thames Bhaji said:

If all else fails let me know. As it happens I’ve just removed mine and replaced it with a home-brewed proportional control which appears to be working fine. If it’s still OK in a couple of months I can’t imagine ever using the solenoid again so would be happy to send it to you. 

Hi Thames Bhaji,

I'm having trouble replying so hopefully you'll get this one.

I really appreciate your kind offer regarding the solenoid and as soon as your happy with your new set we can talk.

My thruster is 12 years old so the boat has to come out of the water to do the sheer pin. 

I'll reschedule my dry dock booking until later in the year which won't make any difference to me but will give you time for a good test,

Thanks again, Robbie

19 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Thanks Mike, sorry for the late reply, age is playing havoc with technology at the moment and technology is just out in front,

Regards Robbie

17 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If you are going on the dock,         VITAL  that you black inside the BT tube, many are rusting through in no time at all.  Solenoids often are Albright or Allen Bradley.

There should be fuses somewhere.  Motor brushes are like starter motor brushes, an auto electrical shop should be able to sort them out.

Hi Tracy,

Please accept my apologies for not responding sooner, age is fighting with technology at the moment.

Thank you very much for your comments, especially regarding the bt tube. I shall definitely pay extra attention to it,

Kind regards Robbie

17 hours ago, Tractor said:

The main snag with bowthrusters, is that they are not used regularly to maintain the brushes free in the holders, the commutator, and contactor free from damp.

Strip down and clean, I would bet there are no spares required.

Hi Tractor,

Sorry for the delay in responding, age is fighting technology at the moment.

Your comments are much appreciated and I will certainly do what you suggested,

Many thanks Robbie

I found with my 55kgf bow thruster from BCS that tucked away by the solenoid is a small 5A blade fuse which is on the control circuit. It may not be that the solenoids have gone but this fuse.

I too went down the road of sourcing new solenoids only to discover this fuse - which was sprayed black the same as the motor body. 

DSC02156 (Medium).JPG

7 hours ago, Robbie.C said:

My thruster is 12 years old so the boat has to come out of the water to do the sheer pin. 

You know you can change the shear pin with the boat in the water don’t you? You just lift the motor off the bracket on the thruster tube inside the boat and it’s there. 

2 hours ago, Thames Bhaji said:

You know you can change the shear pin with the boat in the water don’t you? You just lift the motor off the bracket on the thruster tube inside the boat and it’s there. 

Then I have been given the wrong information by a so called marine engineer. Obviously you having owned one I am now encouraged to go with your suggestion. I'll give it a try next time I visit the marina and let you know how I get on. Thanks again.