Tablet, Huawei, memory full

LadyG

Featured Posts

My tablet seems to keep filling up and needs cleaned, but it lasts for only an hour or so. 

I've tried to remove stuff, but I don't know what I am doing, I find the tablet has no room for apps, it's not like my phone. 

Could it be something to do with sync? 

It asks me to perform deep clean, but I can't find a way to do this. 

I might buy a new tablet, as glass is broken, but would rather wait till contract ends, and sort everything at once. 

How old is it, or which model? I have a Huawei T3-10 which, since last year's updates, is almost completely filled up by its own operating system and the "essential" apps that cannot be uninstalled. Nothing can sensibly be done with it.

I made the mistake of replacing it with a more modern Huawei, forgetting that they are no longer allowed to access the Google Play Store so their range of apps is very limited.

8 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

We have found, over the last 10 years or so, that you pay more for Apple tablets and laptops, but it’s money well spent.

Or don't buy a cheap and cheerful Android tablet without understanding what you are buying. I am more than happy with my Lenovo Tab which was a fraction of the price of the wife's iPad but I prefer to be fully Android.

9 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

We have found, over the last 10 years or so, that you pay more for Apple tablets and laptops, but it’s money well spent.

And if you don't have the money, I'd still take a 5 year old refurbished Apple product over an Android product.  Because they just work.

Last year I sold a 2nd Gen ipad to a friend for £50.  It was 10 years old and still worked fine.

• Greenie 1

Huawei are fine,  my Media pad cost way north of £350 4 years ago, still working fine, it,s still got higher screen resolution and  better sound than most others. Only downside is it needs a new battery but then it has had intensive use 😎

Apple products are forbidden in this house 😱

• Greenie 1

I've got an ancient Lenovo Yoga 8, runs Android 6 and does everything I need. I managed to get one from India that takes a simcard so I can use it on the tub without bothering with wifi. Battery lasts a week. It's a bit slower than the simple wifi one  but then I'm on a boat....

Cost peanuts compared to Apple stuff. Still got my old Nokia E90 (not terribly) smartphone too. Why upgrade if you don't need to? What does an iPhone do for you that's any use that my old stuff won't do as well?

PS got a real camera with a viewfinder too...

24 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Is it a proper camera that takes rolls of film?

Still got one and several rolls of film.

My Asus android tablet is several years old an and fine for what I use it for, mostly watching movies when I'm staying away, I managed to get the docking station for it so I have proper keyboard and dolby stereo.

3 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

How old is it, or which model? I have a Huawei T3-10 which, since last year's updates, is almost completely filled up by its own operating system and the "essential" apps that cannot be uninstalled. Nothing can sensibly be done with it.

I made the mistake of replacing it with a more modern Huawei, forgetting that they are no longer allowed to access the Google Play Store so their range of apps is very limited.

It's a T5 18 months old, symptom same

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Will it not take a memory card? An unexpanded tablet has very little storage space left after OS and bloatware.

Err, I don't know, there are no instructions, but this is a new development, last ten days. 

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

Huawei are fine,  my Media pad cost way north of £350 4 years ago, still working fine, it,s still got higher screen resolution and  better sound than most others. Only downside is it needs a new battery but then it has had intensive use 😎

Apple products are forbidden in this house 😱

I think mine came free with 2 year contract and something else, that's why I want to wait a few months, and get another deal. 

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I presume the tablet is Android based, if it is open the Files app and tap on the clean option.  This will make recommendations on things to delete.

Yep did this, but same thing

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Will it not take a memory card? An unexpanded tablet has very little storage space left after OS and bloatware.

I'm not sure, there seems to be a slot in the side but I don't know if this is for memory or a sim card. There is a hole to poke a pin in to, but again, I am not sure, it could be for earphones, who knows. 

I have one photo, and little else, I use the thing as a laptop, but live streaming, I think, not storing movies

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I'm not sure, there seems to be a slot in the side but I don't know if this is for memory or a sim card. There is a hole to poke a pin in to, but again, I am not sure, it could be for earphones, who knows. 

I have one photo, and little else, I use the thing as a laptop, but live streaming, I think, not storing movies

Almost certainly for a memory card. Don't stick a pin un the hole.... But you wouldn't really, would you? If it's a real pinhole it'll be a reset button and you don't want to do that. You should be able to download a manual from somewhere.

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

And if you don't have the money, I'd still take a 5 year old refurbished Apple product over an Android product.  Because they just work.

Last year I sold a 2nd Gen ipad to a friend for £50.  It was 10 years old and still worked fine.

I left mine out in the rain all night an it still worked, but you can't load lots of apps because its too old

Both of the Huawei tablets that I mentioned above, will happily take a SIM SD card which can be used for the storage of pictures, music, etc; however there is no facility to enable the transfer of any apps to it.

Edited by Keeping Up

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

Both of the Huawei tablets that I mentioned above, will happily take a SIM card which can be used for the storage of pictures, music, etc; however there is no facility to enable the transfer of any apps to it.

You mean an SD card?

Yes?

6 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Ah, the old apple is superior to android argument.

To suggest that a 10 year old ipad will be superior to a newer/new Android tablet is I'm afraid just nonsense.

Ive got a newer ipad than that languishing in a drawer. You can browse on it using Safari and that is about it. None of the newer apps will run on it. So I cant use it for anything particularly useful.

My Samsung tablet is fine but I prefer Mrs HN's Lenovo.

18 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ah, the old apple is superior to android argument.

To suggest that a 10 year old ipad will be superior to a newer/new Android tablet is I'm afraid just nonsense.

I didn't suggest that.  I suggested my 10 year old ipad still worked fine.  Nothing more.

18 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ive got a newer ipad than that languishing in a drawer. You can browse on it using Safari and that is about it. None of the newer apps will run on it. So I cant use it for anything particularly useful.

My Samsung tablet is fine but I prefer Mrs HN's Lenovo.