Bosley locks

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

The pub is not going to reopen. It is being converted to homes. At the moment there is still a motley selection of  old cars in the car park. MGs, Reliants and a Lancia last time I took notice. They're all a bit tired. The business appears to be Dolan Classics and from their online presence I'd say they've got a workshop elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

More important is the water supply for the T&M. The Macc feeds the Red Bell locks and the tunnel all the way through Stoke. A lack of water at that junction could close the 4 Counties ring too.

It will be running over the bywashes while there are no boats 🤣

53 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

More important is the water supply for the T&M. The Macc feeds the Red Bell locks and the tunnel all the way through Stoke. A lack of water at that junction could close the 4 Counties ring too.

The T&M summit is also fed from Rudyard Lake via the Caldon Canal.

• Greenie 1

Well we are now at Bosley and there are no padlocks on the locks, a boat has gone into the bottom lock going up at 5pm today. Tomorrow they go onto 3 days a week. I wonder if they will lock them for the other 4. Of course the bywashers are all running, so the water is being used anyway.

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well we are now at Bosley and there are no padlocks on the locks, a boat has gone into the bottom lock going up at 5pm today. Tomorrow they go onto 3 days a week. I wonder if they will lock them for the other 4.

It was all unlocked (barring the towpath side on No2 bottom) when I last went through in February. I wondered if it was left that way unofficially as there was little traffic about at that point. Well none on that day-it was horrible 😀

Guessing it will be locked up from now on..

The plot thickens, by chance we had a volocky turn up by our boat around 10 this morning before we set off so we gave him a cup of tea. As far as he and the other volockies were concerned there were no restrictions until today and the locks were available 24/7 (left hand not knowing what right is doing) Today they go to 8-30 to 1pm 3 days a week. Rumer has it (I havent checked yet) that next month they will reduce further, not sure if he said 1 or 2 days a week. 6 Volockies on duty which is really helpfull if you are coming down as they congregate at the top.

DSCF6369 (2).JPG

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The plot thickens, by chance we had a volocky turn up by our boat around 10 this morning before we set off so we gave him a cup of tea. As far as he and the other volockies were concerned there were no restrictions until today and the locks were available 24/7 (left hand not knowing what right is doing) Today they go to 8-30 to 1pm 3 days a week. Rumer has it (I havent checked yet) that next month they will reduce further, not sure if he said 1 or 2 days a week. 6 Volockies on duty which is really helpfull if you are coming down as they congregate at the top.

DSCF6369 (2).JPG

That's interesting that the volockies don't know what C&RT have said and are allowing passage outwith the C&RT "rules". Hope it stays that way for you to get back and for us to get to Whaley Bridge and back soon. 

5 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's interesting that the volockies don't know what C&RT have said and are allowing passage outwith the C&RT "rules". Hope it stays that way for you to get back and for us to get to Whaley Bridge and back soon. 

He knows there is restricted hours now and the locks will be locked.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's 2 days a week from, i think, end of April. Sundays and Thursdays (again if I remember rightly), presumably so the Heritage hire fleet can go up on Sunday and get back for handover.

24 April

• 2 months later...

How long before the T&M is closed too then?  And Harecastle?   And its only June, will we have 4 counties and Cheshire rings at all this summer?

Parry should resign, its shameful.  Can we have a vote of confidence, its in vogue. 

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

How long before the T&M is closed too then?  And Harecastle?   And its only June, will we have 4 counties and Cheshire rings at all this summer?

Parry should resign, its shameful.  Can we have a vote of confidence, its in vogue. 

Won't work, he'll win with a small majority. I wrote a song about him once which some of his supporters told me was a disgrace....

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

If I remember correctly, one Marple lock needed major repair as a consequence of being left empty while another was repaired a few years ago.

Why then are some of the Marple locks being left empty now as they are closed to navigation? There is water flowing round these empty locks so why can't C&RT manage them so they all contain water at all times? A little thought and effort could save them a lot of money in the future and prevent further closures.

BTW the Macc Upper Level is very low and difficult to navigate. I don't know about ditchcrawling - it's more like sludge surfing.

Notice Alert

Location: Navigation Closure: Macclesfield and Peak Forest Canals

Intersection of:

Lock 1 to Lock 12 on Macclesfield Canal

and

Lock 1 to Lock 16 on Peak Forest Canal

Monday 4 April 2022 08:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Water resources

Update on 01/07/2022:

Whilst we have experienced recent rainfall, this has had no impact on our reservoir holdings which supply the Macclesfield & Peak Forest canals and navigation remains closed on the Bosley and Marple lock flights.

Whilst the locks remain closed, our teams are currently reducing the supply from the reservoirs to the canals, however due to the levels dropping on the summit pound, which is between Bosley and Whaley Bridge, we have had to reduce the supply slower than originally planned to ensure a sustained supply to the pound is maintained to help reduce any risk to our infrastructure and moored boats.

During these closures, it is expected that the water levels will drop on the summit pound, our teams will continue to recharge the summit pound daily, though it is expected to take longer than normal to refill. To help prevent water loss, we have a team delivering grouting and leak sealing works around the summit and the pumps supplying a feed from the River Goyt at Whaley are monitored daily to ensure a sustained feed.

We have taken this opportunity to complete a range of works along these canals to help retain water, including lock gate replacement works at Lock 1 and Lock 11, Bosley lock flight, with piling works started between Lock 4 and Lock 5.

Please note, if conditions continue, we may have to close access to the Bugsworth Basin to help retain water.

A further update will be provided by Friday 15 July 2022.

Make  of this what you will. As someone stranded on the Upper Level I feel entitled to a partial license refund.

And everything between Skipton and Leigh branch shut. The North aint open.

When BW locked us in between Chester and Elllesmere Port for nearly a year we got a complete refund. But that was twenty odd years ago, when anyone in control thought the navigation mattered.

2 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

There’s a handy website, https://hosepipeban.org.uk/hosepipe-ban-current-situation/, which tracks the hosepipe bans in force all over the country resulting from the exceptionally dry spring. Shambles.

675B7A15-C628-40B4-A25A-05A2E0C95079.jpeg

That's lucky, as they seem to be filling the top pound with a hosepipe.