Bosley locks

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

It's still on the C&RT website so it looks like it's still 8.30 - 13.00. Your home mooring is fairly close isn't it. I cycled past on Monday. 

It is, yes. If you cycle past again and it looks like I'm down there, you're welcome to a coffee!

45 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

According to a CRT email, restrictions are going to be in place all year, last entry at 1pm and all boats to be off the flight by 4pm.

I assume the works/improvements to Bosley Reservoir are still ongoing as the reservoir is almost empty. With Bosley and Todbrook reservoirs still out of action it doesn't look good for boating on the Macc and PFC this summer. 

47 minutes ago, PhilR said:

I assume the works/improvements to Bosley Reservoir are still ongoing as the reservoir is almost empty. With Bosley and Todbrook reservoirs still out of action it doesn't look good for boating on the Macc and PFC this summer. 

We are coming that way next month. This from CRT Yesterday

Good afternoon Brian,
We have received your enquiry at Canal & River Trust, Northwest regarding the information at on our notification page regarding Bosley Lock Flight.  
The notice was originally put on in the summer due to low water reasons but has been turned into an ongoing notice to conserve water throughout the year.
The locks are open and closed daily at the times stated below:
Bosley Lock Flight – DailyOpen from 8:30am to allow passage through the flight. Last entry to the flight will be at 1pm, and all boats must be off the flight by 4pm.I hope this helps you plan your journey.
Lisa IredaleCustomer Service Administrator M 03030 40 40 40 E enquiries.northwest@canalrivertrust.org.ukCanal & River TrustSouth Pier Road, Cheshire, Ellesmere Port, CH65 4FW

21 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Email out today: Bosley and Marple will be open only two (different) days per week from 25th April. Great start…

Notice Alert

Location: Lock Flight Operating Times, Macclesfield and Peak Forest Canals

Intersection of:

Lock 1 to Lock 12 on Macclesfield Canal

and

Lock 1 to Lock 16 on Peak Forest Canal

Monday 4 April 2022 08:30 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Water resources

Original message:

Macclesfield & Peak Forest canals lock flight operating times, 2022

Following essential maintenance works at Bosley Reservoir over the winter, requiring the reservoir to be drawn down; coupled with the on-going repair works at Toddbrook Reservoir, we are starting the upcoming main boating season with much less water than normal.  Unfortunately, this means that there will be limited supply of water to support navigation in the North West this spring and summer.

To make sure that the limited water that is available lasts for as long as possible, we need to restrict the use of the lock flights from Monday 4 April 2022.

The Trust is providing additional resources to this area to support our water management activities and will have teams of volunteer lock keepers helping to conserve as much water as possible.

From Monday 4 April until Sunday 24 April 2022, the following operating times will apply:

Bosley Lock Flight – open Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays

• Open from 8:30am to allow passage through the flight. Last boat entry to the flight will be at 1pm, and all boats must have exited the flight by 4pm.

Marple Lock Flight – open Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays

• Open from 8:30am to allow passage through the flight. Last boat entry to the flight will be at 12 noon, and all boats must have exited the flight by 4pm.

Both Lock Flights will be closed on Fridays to help the summit water levels to recover ahead of the weekend demand.

From Monday 25 April 2022 the following opening times will apply:

Bosley Lock Flight – open Sundays and Thursdays

• Open from 8:30am to allow passage through the flight. Last boat entry to the flight will be at 1pm, and all boats must have exited the flight by 4pm.

Marple Lock Flight – open Tuesdays and Saturdays

• Open from 8:30am to allow passage through the flight. Last boat entry to the flight will be at 12 noon, and all boats must have exited the flight by 4pm.

We apologise for the inconvenience and disruption this may cause to your boating plans. By implementing these operating times, we hope it will allow boaters to plan your journeys knowing what to expect over the summer months as our teams continue to work hard to conserve water at every opportunity.

You can help us conserve water by ensuring paddles are fully closed once you have passed through a lock.

Our teams will continue to monitor our reservoir holdings throughout the season and where possible, amend the operating times should the situation improve. Please note, these operating times will remain under review and could be subject to change.

If you have any questions or would like to know more about the current reservoir situation, you can find more information, here. Alternatively, we will be holding an online meeting with our water management team on Wednesday 6 April at 7:30 pm. You can register your interest to attend, here.

Filmed last summer, this video provides some further background information to the works at our reservoirs which, because they require the water to be drained, is limiting water supply.  The works mentioned in the film at Bosley Reservoir are now complete.  However, rain is needed to refill the Bosley Reservoir following the completion of the works and we start the main boating season with the reservoir nearly empty.

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/21825/lock-flight-operating-times-macclesfield-and-peak-forest-canals

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Presumably open on those days so the hire fleets from Heritage can get up and home again. Very glad I moved my boat below Bosley.

If it's another dry summer it'll be down to half a day a week. I wonder how many boats can get through 12 locks in half a day....

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

12 Bosley locks in half a day is easy.

16 Marple locks... depends how much water there is!

I think you miss read it, how many boats waiting at the bottom would be able to clear the flight in half a day, not how many would want to stop in the flight

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you miss read it, how many boats waiting at the bottom would be able to clear the flight in half a day, not how many would want to stop in the flight

I reckon eight on a good day. Going to be quiet up there. Might go myself...

I cannot remember a year when all four reservoirs on the Macc/PFC weren't at, or close to, full capacity in March. Even so, there were still several years when lock restrictions, and even closures, were needed. Draw your own conclusions 😟...........

The interesting bit, with regards to getting up and down, is going to be where boats are going to queue at the top. There's room, I think  for one boat waiting, then the water point and then a l o n g line of CRT permanent moorings. The services block is right by the top lock. A couple of boats might be able to park north of the moorings, but how will they know not to come right down to the locks? It's a seriously stupid place to have long term moorings.

10 hours ago, Goliath said:

Plenty of mooring at the bottom of the flight 

Always space at the top on the bend 

The trouble is that from there you can't see the top lock,  so if you're intending to go down you can't stop there -  you'll just end up in a huge traffic jam by the moored boats with nowhere to tie up, blocking the water point and services. Anyone actually wanting water is just going to make things worse.

There is room for five or six boats at the bottom and maybe CRT will have a word with the usual suspects who dump their boats there for weeks on end or make it temporarily a 24 hour mooring.

That water point really is in a bad spot.

Its pretty much on the lock landing, isn’t it?

I think there’s room to moor over night for 1 boat, but if it’s a long boat it over hangs on to the water point.

In the past I’ve tied up on the bend and then walked to the top lock to see the state of play.

I can see there being problems with waiting

Edited by Goliath

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

You can get into the bank immediately after the last boat, or you could a year or two ago, then again just round the corner. After that you're stuffed till you approach the swing bridge. Where it's noisy.

When I first did that stretch, 10 years ago now, the pub over the road was open.

I always hope every time I pass it will have reopened

Are there still Vintage cars in the car park?

Apart from the noisy road it’s a pretty spot to moor up.