Best Generator Recommendations Please

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I doubt it is legal to fit a non-approved gas appliance on a RCD/RCR compliant boat, hence the low number of gas fridges fitted in boats since about 199?. I don't think it is anything to do with the BSS.

Well yes, BS PD 54823 says flueless gas appliances other than cooking appliances may not be installed, but ignoring BS PD 54823 is not a criminal offence.  

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

Well yes, BS PD 54823 says flueless gas appliances other than cooking appliances may not be installed, but ignoring BS PD 54823 is not a criminal offence.  

I was thinking more about what equipment the RCD allows. I understood al equipment fitted had to be CE/BS marked as suitable for its use and if the manufacturers have to certified a gas fridge as such then as I understand fitting it would contravene the RCD, even more so if what Alan says about the RCD now having to be complied with for the life of the boat. I am sure falsifying the RCD documents is a criminal offense even if the authorities are unwilling to prosecute.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

I was thinking more about what equipment the RCD allows. I understood al equipment fitted had to be CE/BS marked as suitable for its use and if the manufacturers have to certified a gas fridge as such then as I understand fitting it would contravene the RCD, even more so if what Alan says about the RCD now having to be complied with for the life of the boat. I am sure falsifying the RCD documents is a criminal offense even if the authorities are unwilling to prosecute.

I think we are running away with the gold plating here. Installing a gas fridge in a boat, even a RCD boat is not a criminal offence. It is perhaps "illegal" in that it invalidates an RCD declaration or ticket, but some of us here care about such things, while others don't. No-one is going to be arrested and criminally prosecuted for having a gas fridge in their boat.

Yes, forging documents is a criminal offence for which prosecution is likely but again, I've not noticed anyone suggesting this should be done.

The whole discussion started because Arthur asked "Are gas fridges no longer allowed even if vented?" And the answer is as with everything, "it depends". "Not allowed" is different from "illegal". 

Ignore the naysayers.  I have a genny and I wouldn't be without it.  I have a Kipor 2600 and it runs everything I want.  I got it from Midland Chandlers on a 20% off promotion and it cost me c.£500.  It's slightly louder than a Honda but not much, it's heavy but I can lift it at 29kg (a bag of coal weighs 25kg).  It's far quieter and less vibrating than running my engine.  The cheapest Honda genny which will run my washing machine is around £3000 and weights 61kg so a non-starter for me. https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/honda-eu30is-generator.html

The Kipor 2600 seems to be discontinued and replace by this:  https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/spark-petrol-inverter-digital-generator-ig2600-2-6kva-spk2600

I can't vouch for it, but it looks similar.  My concern is that my Kipor can produce a continuous 2.3kw.  The Spark can only muster 2.1kw.

As others have said, the Jackery is a battery, not a generator, despite which the company may imply.  If you can charge it regularly, it may be useful for charging laptops and other devices up to about 100w.  Trying to run an immersion heater from one is never gonna work.  The Jackery will become discharged before the water is tepid.

7 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Ignore the naysayers.  I have a genny and I wouldn't be without it.  I have a Kipor 2600 and it runs everything I want.  I got it from Midland Chandlers on a 20% off promotion and it cost me c.£500.  It's slightly louder than a Honda but not much, it's heavy but I can lift it at 29kg (a bag of coal weighs 25kg).  It's far quieter and less vibrating than running my engine.  The cheapest Honda genny which will run my washing machine is around £3000 and weights 61kg so a non-starter for me. https://www.justgenerators.co.uk/honda-eu30is-generator.html

The Kipor 2600 seems to be discontinued and replace by this:  https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/spark-petrol-inverter-digital-generator-ig2600-2-6kva-spk2600

I can't vouch for it, but it looks similar.  My concern is that my Kipor can produce a continuous 2.3kw.  The Spark can only muster 2.1kw.

As others have said, the Jackery is a battery, not a generator, despite which the company may imply.  If you can charge it regularly, it may be useful for charging laptops and other devices up to about 100w.  Trying to run an immersion heater from one is never gonna work.  The Jackery will become discharged before the water is tepid.

I dont know much at all about gennies so apologies if I've missed something, but Rosie's main daily need is going to be heating water with an immersion heater, and they are normally 1kw arent they? 

If hers is 1kw, might she get away with using a 1000w genny?

If I understand it right, the immersion will take whatever current the genny can give, and if its a bit less than 1kw, it will just take a bit longer to heat up.

I'm just thinking a 1kw genny will be smaller, easier to manhandle, and maybe cheaper?

5 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I dont know much at all about gennies so apologies if I've missed something, but Rosie's main daily need is going to be heating water with an immersion heater, and they are normally 1kw arent they? 

If hers is 1kw, might she get away with using a 1000w genny?

If I understand it right, the immersion will take whatever current the genny can give, and if its a bit less than 1kw, it will just take a bit longer to heat up.

I'm just thinking a 1kw genny will be smaller, easier to manhandle, and maybe cheaper?

You didn't read her whole post, did you?

"but unsure as to whether it will be powerful enough to power an immersion or washing machine."

Now there are ways to reduce a washing machine to below 1000w but they always involve some kind of compromise.  If you want a proper plumbed in washing machine then you'll find that parts of the cycle will be close to 2000w and therefore too much for either a Honda EU10i or a Honda EU20i.  Hence my advice.

You're right that a 1000w genny will be cheaper than the equivalent 2000w one.

8 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

No, 'fraid not. 

If a load bigger than the genny can deliver, it will just pop the overload protection.

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

You didn't read her whole post, did you?

"but unsure as to whether it will be powerful enough to power an immersion or washing machine."

Now there are ways to reduce a washing machine to below 1000w but they always involve some kind of compromise.  If you want a proper plumbed in washing machine then you'll find that parts of the cycle will be close to 2000w and therefore too much for either a Honda EU10i or a Honda EU20i.  Hence my advice.

You're right that a 1000w genny will be cheaper than the equivalent 2000w one.

I really must start actually reading these posts, rather than persisting with the telepathic method. 

Just now, Tony1 said:

I really must start actually reading these posts, rather than persisting with the telepathic method. 

No need to bother with all that!

Few here see any particular need to read a thread of more than about five posts before jumping in with both feets...

Not sure whether a Honda EX650 suitcase generator would fit the bill. They are very cheap second hand (less than £200).  I've had mine for over thirty years.  It still starts first pull and produces enough power to run power tools and occasionally a battery charger.  I've even used it with a 9" angle grinder and a largish circular saw.

Although they are very old, they are probably the quietest ever made.  

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

No need to bother with all that!

Few here see any particular need to read a thread of more than about five posts before jumping in with both feets...

Mainly sunny, with scattered showers later

16 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Not sure whether a Honda EX650 suitcase generator would fit the bill. They are very cheap second hand (less than £200).  I've had mine for over thirty years.  It still starts first pull and produces enough power to run power tools and occasionally a battery charger.  I've even used it with a 9" angle grinder and a largish circular saw.

Although they are very old, they are probably the quietest ever made.  

Not a bad idea for battery charging........but at 650 watts it's not powerful enough for the OP's requirements.

23 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Not sure whether a Honda EX650 suitcase generator would fit the bill.

4 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Not a bad idea for battery charging........but at 650 watts

I have one - it may be called a "650" but the actual continuous rating is 500w - 550w depending on whose information you use.

It would certainly not be sufficient for powering a washing machine (or an immersion heater)

5 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Not necessarily enough to power a decent sized battery charger.

No, but it'll probably run a 30 amp charger. Not ideal, but if you're on a budget it's better than a frame genny. 

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have one - it may be called a "650" but the actual continuous rating is 500w - 550w depending on whose information you use.

How quiet is it compared to the EU10i? 

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It would certainly not be sufficient for powering a washing machine (or an immersion heater)

It is the usual marketing ploy, it is probably 650KVA which is only 650W into a restive load. What it is into an inductive load like motors & probably chargers depends upon their power factor. More Watts for a good design and fewer from 'orible ones.

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

No, but it'll probably run a 30 amp charger. Not ideal, but if you're on a budget it's better than a frame genny. 

How quiet is it compared to the EU10i? 

I don't have an EU10I to compare it to, but the EX650 is 'quieter than a whisper at 6 feet'.

The big difference is you can pick up a "650" for under £200 or an EU10i for ~£550

Honda EX650 Petrol Suitcase Generator | eBay

Honda EU10i Portable Compact Quiet Inverter Generator for Camping Motorhome 3573390030201 | eBay

To some people £350 is a lot of money.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

Ex650 is not sine wave.

very quiet gennie very noisy output.

struggles with modern chargers.

we used an lpg modified one for 10 years with no issues on transformer type chargers  But having changed boats to one with a modern charger in 2000  ( heart interface) discovered it didnt like it.

I suspect modern chargers are even more picky

From possibly the best Honda generator repair man in the UK :

(He once spent over an hour holding on the phone talking me thru trying to get the "650" working after I have plugged it into a freezer and it went 'pop' in a big loud way)

Honda EX650

If quiet running is what you need then the Honda EX650 trumps all comers but quiet running is not the only thing that made the Honda EX650 a true design triumph. The Honda EX650 is the most durable and repairable machine I have come across. The engines are bullet proof and even after many thousands of hours service the most that is usually required to bring them back to as new condition is new piston rings. The controls are fantastic with everything done by one simple knob. It’s a doddle in the dark.

Honda EU10i

Super light weight, pure sine wave inverter with ECO throttle. The Honda EU10i has it all. Or has it.  The GXH50 engine is unlined and, unless 50hr oil changes are very strictly adhered to, fast wearing and uneconomic to repair. The EU10i is the trickiest machine to buy second-hand. So if you want one, buy new.

Honda EU20i

With its tough GX100 engine this is a super little pure sine wave inverter. Of all the suitcase machines I sell the one I worry about the least is the Honda EU20i. Fantastic but pricey.

Honda EU26i

2.4kw continuous from a quiet and compact pure sine wave inverter. The Honda EU26i lacks the wheel kit and electric start of the Honda EU30is but I love the simplicity and easy maintenance of the Honda EU26i. The engine is just the same old GX160 that Honda has been sticking on everything since T.rex bit the dust.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Installing a gas fridge in a boat, even a RCD boat is not a criminal offence. It is perhaps "illegal" in that it invalidates an RCD declaration or ticket, but some of us here care about such things, while others don't. 

And could that be because some of us have RCD compliant boats while others don't, so those in the latter group don't have to care about it?

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The BSS allows gas fridges for diesel engined boats, but for petrol engined boats it must be room sealed, or, the approved 'Wilderness modifed' gas fridge.

Where the vessel has a petrol propulsion engine, is any LPG refrigerator of a proprietary room-sealed type, or a Wilderness Boats conversion of an Electrolux RM 212?

Screenshot (1080).png

Which is one of the points being looked at in the next issue of the BSS requirements

Observations on a theme:

Does the O/P have an inverter on board?

How much Solar do they have?

We run our Washing Machine or Immersion heater from a 1600va inverter ( WM draws 1400w and Immersion 1000w) saves faffing about with a generator.

Running the engine will give hot water (assuming its not air cooled or a plonky plonk vintage engine) and with the immersion on at the same time it will be quick. Our 1kw Immersion only needs 15minutes on its own before there is enough hot water for two showers (navy style)

A properly set up boat should have no need for an external generator unless its being used off grid in the depths of winter ;)

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

A properly set up boat should have no need for an external generator unless its being used off grid in the depths of winter ;)

I'm not sure what winter has to do with it.  I could have spent thousands on a top notch inverter and a better battery bank and done everything that way, or £500 on a decent genny., which brings other benefits:

1.  An option if my engine won't start.

2. Quieter running with less transfer of noise and vibration to other boats.

3. Far quieter and less vibration in my own boat.