Bridge 32 Leeds & Liverpool

JohnEW2912

Featured Posts

So, we set off this morning to take our boat from Scarisbrick Marina to Lymm for a repaint. I was concerned about a stoppage at Ell Meadow lock but that was sorted last week and the planned maintenance at Barton Aqueduct was done by last Friday.

but arriving at Br 32 by the Latham Slipway pub the swing bridge has jammed and not closed properly. So we’re waiting here for an indeterminate period. At least the sun’s shining…..

17 minutes ago, JohnEW2912 said:

So, we set off this morning to take our boat from Scarisbrick Marina to Lymm for a repaint. I was concerned about a stoppage at Ell Meadow lock but that was sorted last week and the planned maintenance at Barton Aqueduct was done by last Friday.

but arriving at Br 32 by the Latham Slipway pub the swing bridge has jammed and not closed properly. So we’re waiting here for an indeterminate period. At least the sun’s shining…..

I spent a pleasant day waiting for them to fix that some years back

Had same thing happen to us at that one near the Marquis of Granby pub, only our second ever electric bridge on our first ever boat holiday and we were sure we’d done something wrong and broken it. Hour or two’s wait for a CRT lad in a van to turn up and tell us it was a regular problem and reset it.

Sadly, the pub was shut :( 

JohnEW

The Poolstock pound was empty as usual this morning and a CaRT employee had just arrived to fill it up at 8.00am.

Not sure where you are stopping tonight but I would advise you to go through as soon as possible and not wait to go through first thing in the morning.

You should tell CRT what you are doing, I had to let water down from lock one last night on the Leigh branch, there is a problem with that stretch , so needs fixing.It’s emptying so fast , ridiculous to refill it every few hours, puts an hour on your journey.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

You should tell CRT what you are doing, I had to let water down from lock one last night on the Leigh branch, there is a problem with that stretch , so needs fixing.It’s emptying so fast , ridiculous to refill it every few hours, puts an hour on your journey.

I did report it as soon as I had the paddles up but said I didn’t need any help unless I rang back. In the end the pound filled in more like 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

They usually say its 'vandalism '....

Pie Eater is right - it’s not vandalism.

CRT rang me back to thank me for reporting it and we had a chat about the issue.

As regulars will know the pound between the 2 locks has often been susceptible to low levels and a need to top up, but it was intermittent until recently. As we have seen on this thread it was empty yesterday morning and low again the afternoon and again empty this morning. CRT admitted that they don’t know what the problem is but I’m guessing that they can’t keep filling it up twice or more a day and I would not be surprised to see a stoppage to sort it. That will be problematic at the beginning of the season as it’s the most popular route from the South to the L&L and through the Ribble Link to the Lancaster.

56 minutes ago, JohnEW2912 said:

As regulars will know the pound between the 2 locks has often been susceptible to low levels and a need to top up, but it was intermittent until recently. As we have seen on this thread it was empty yesterday morning and low again the afternoon and again empty this morning. CRT admitted that they don’t know what the problem is but I’m guessing that they can’t keep filling it up twice or more a day and I would not be surprised to see a stoppage to sort it.

Most of the water to feed the junction pound usually comes down the flight - the separate feeder can't keep up with boats crossing from Poolstock to Wigan who draw at least two lockfulls each cycle.

Wigan Flight is shut for maintenance, opens next week, so there will be more water supplied after that, reducing the problem.

The biggest problem at Poolstock is usually boaters who think the "Please use all paddles" sign doesn't apply to them and sit there for half an hour failing to make a level while emptying the junction pound. 

3 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

It is definitely not vandalism as the pound drains on its own every night.

Yes I know its not vandalism.... my tongue was firmly in my cheek. 

Pleasing if CRT have stopped blaming vandalism.

Some proper drain dye would be the stuff to use (£7.49 from screwfix)

I see the latest stoppage notice for Wigan locks quotes pounds being  emptied due to vandalism as part of the reason for delays...

Annoyingly they also claim that lock 73 is 'close' to the breach at  Rishton ..

I think they mean that until both the breach and Wigan flight are sorted, normal navigation can't really resume. One without the other doesn't really help too much.