Blakes Lock Reading - 2022 Q1 closure

Andy Spiceley

Featured Posts

Does anyone have recent news about Blakes Lock?  The EA website lists it under closures with an end date of Apr 7 but the text is a bit ambiguous as it suggests that the work doesn't entail a closure (though that might refer to the canoe portage element).  I tried to contact EA directly but I suspect the email address I used is a no-reply one (in practice at least).  If work is still in progress, it would be really useful to know if they expect to open on time so we can plan our escape onto the Thames....

Many thanks 

FWIW - EA have transferred  their winter works to an outside contractor and are keeping schtum about any early opening of locks - if indeed there are. They have removed any local phone numbers from their system - all calls are handled centrally in Rotherham ( ?? Thames - Rotherham....). I tried yesterday and after a long wait allegedly to a local office, the line dropped.

Even if the lock was opened early there are plenty of locks either side of Reading which are closed  for works and due to open at the end of March - but no information as to any change of date is forthcoming.

Just keep an eye on the winter works page on the web  is your best bet......

Here -

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/river-thames-restrictions-and-closures#river-closures-updated-7-march-2022

and page down to the lock closures section that's the best info: that you'll get.

Edited by OldGoat

Lock closure info on the website does not appear to have been updated since 18th Feb - BUT I did manage to reach a very helpful lady at the EA Rotherham office who called through to someone else in EA with internal access to Thames news and then called me back.  Unfortunately the news is not good - now forecast that Blakes lock will re-open on 18th April.😪   

However that seems like an odd date to me (Easter Monday) - I suppose if contractors are over-running and on penalties they might work over Easter weekend, but you'd think that, if it's not finished by Easter Friday, they will still be working on the Tuesday after Easter....

Edited by Andy Spiceley

For what it's worth, in case anyone else is following this: EA "updated" their closure notice today (23.03) with Blakes Lock still showing as due for completion on 7th April, but on the other hand a contact in a local business told me that they had been advised that 22nd April was now the expected re-opening.

Apologies, I started a thread about Blakes Lock in the wrong forum (you just can't get the staff....).  I'll try to educate myself a bit better and maybe I'll find a way to cross-link it, but to cut to the chase:  the latest EA lock closure notice (issed 23.03) still states that Blakes Lock works should complete on 7th April but I was informed by the EA Rotherham office that the latest forecast is 18th April.  A contact in a local business told me that they'd been advised to expect 22nd April as the earliest re-opening...

Edited by Andy Spiceley