VPN vs satelitte

XLD

Featured Posts

No, but I've experience of doing it the other way around.....i.e. using a VPN to pretend I'm in another country to unlock Netflix catalogues. (pretty much every film ever made is on Netflix somewhere in the world) and more recently F1 TV. It works quite well, although you do need to pay for a decent VPN like expressvpn or nordvpn and I haven't done it with Netflix recently since they clamped down on it a few years ago, although I hear it still works with a good VPN. 

They are not directly comparable but can allow you to access content that has geographic restrictions. If you had Satellite internet connectivity, you could use this instead of using fibre/DSL/cable/4G etc. You'd need to check with your satellite provider to ascertain if they're happy for you to use it in your chosen country.  

Satellite internet connectivity will likely cost more though and can be expensive. It inherently has higher latency though probably not high enough to cause problems streaming media content but you may notice that page load times are not quite as responsive. It is also vulnerable to bad weather and often has data limits. That said, they can be ideal for people in rural areas where other options are limited or non existent. 

VPNs are different in that you still need an underlying internet connection, whether it be fibre, DSL, cable or cellular etc. I have used NordVPN before but not specifically for accessing content otherwise only available overseas. There's some guidance posted on their website on how to use it for streaming via a TV.
https://support.nordvpn.com/FAQ/1047409252/Can-I-set-up-NordVPN-on-my-smart-TV-or-gaming-console.htm

It is much less of a faff if you are using a mobile device or PC/laptop, you simply download an agent (app) and then choose a server in your chosen country and connect. 

My only gripe using a VPN is that a lot of content providers/websites/whatever block IP ranges belonging to the likes of NordVPN. This somewhat defeats the object of using it. My advice is not to bother with a VPN unless you really need to. If you do decide to go down the VPN route, there's also lots of discount/promo codes available online. 

I saw in an earlier topic that you mentioned you can no longer get CNN on Freesat, not sure if that's what you're looking to watch? Although I haven't used Freesat personally for some 15 years, I know you can watch CNN along with many other overseas channels live on YouTube. YouTube is great, you can find a lot of content on there. It also has the benefit of being able to watch what you want, when you want. - On demand. Of course, not everything is available on YouTube but for me there's more than enough content to make it much better than regular TV. Personal preference I guess. :) 

1 hour ago, RichM said:

They are not directly comparable but can allow you to access content that has geographic restrictions. If you had Satellite internet connectivity, you could use this instead of using fibre/DSL/cable/4G etc. You'd need to check with your satellite provider to ascertain if they're happy for you to use it in your chosen country.  

Satellite internet connectivity will likely cost more though and can be expensive. It inherently has higher latency though probably not high enough to cause problems streaming media content but you may notice that page load times are not quite as responsive. It is also vulnerable to bad weather and often has data limits. That said, they can be ideal for people in rural areas where other options are limited or non existent. 

VPNs are different in that you still need an underlying internet connection, whether it be fibre, DSL, cable or cellular etc. I have used NordVPN before but not specifically for accessing content otherwise only available overseas. There's some guidance posted on their website on how to use it for streaming via a TV.
https://support.nordvpn.com/FAQ/1047409252/Can-I-set-up-NordVPN-on-my-smart-TV-or-gaming-console.htm

It is much less of a faff if you are using a mobile device or PC/laptop, you simply download an agent (app) and then choose a server in your chosen country and connect. 

My only gripe using a VPN is that a lot of content providers/websites/whatever block IP ranges belonging to the likes of NordVPN. This somewhat defeats the object of using it. My advice is not to bother with a VPN unless you really need to. If you do decide to go down the VPN route, there's also lots of discount/promo codes available online. 

I saw in an earlier topic that you mentioned you can no longer get CNN on Freesat, not sure if that's what you're looking to watch? Although I haven't used Freesat personally for some 15 years, I know you can watch CNN along with many other overseas channels live on YouTube. YouTube is great, you can find a lot of content on there. It also has the benefit of being able to watch what you want, when you want. - On demand. Of course, not everything is available on YouTube but for me there's more than enough content to make it much better than regular TV. Personal preference I guess. :) 

I tried to get CNN live but could only find CNN BRAZIL live🤔. Everything else seemed to be 5 minute videos.