Leisure batteries

Dean4444

Featured Posts

I have got to change 5 leisure batteries on my boat just wondering how to do this safely.Do I take all old batteries out first or can I do one at s time I haven't got a clue thanks Dean ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

8 minutes ago, Dean4444 said:

I have got to change 5 leisure batteries on my boat just wondering how to do this safely.Do I take all old batteries out first or can I do one at s time I haven't got a clue thanks Dean ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

ย 

Take photographs from all angles showing which connection goes where and which end of the barreies are the + and which are the -

ย 

Disconnect ALL of the 'negative' wires first.

ย 

The disconnect the positive wires, then remove all batteries.

ย 

Fit all new batteries in to the battery box.

Reconnect the batteries using your photos for guidance.

ย 

Connect ALL Positive wires first

ย 

Then connect all Negativeย  wires.

ย 

If you are not sure about anything on the boat. Always take pictures before you start - if it all goes pear-shaped then at least we have a clue as to where you have gone wrong.

Ensure any solar controller is isolated from the panels. Turn off all electrical loads and then the battery isolater switch(es). Take negative terminals off first then the positives. Remove all batteries and put new ones back in. Reconnect positives first and then negatives, isolater(s) back on, reconnect the solar panels.

Thanks Allen you are a gent .That's put my mind at ease.Im at the top of branch locks never done them before so I'm a bit dubious ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ensure any solar controller is isolated from the panels. Turn off all electrical loads and then the battery isolater switch(es). Take negative terminals off first then the positives. Remove all batteries and put new ones back in. Reconnect positives first and then negatives, isolater(s) back on, reconnect the solar panels.

Thanks Tony not got any solar as yet still looking for the best deal on them ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Also if you're not sure what you are doing with batteries:

ย 

Remove all metal jewellery like rings, necklaces, bracelets, watches before starting work.

ย 

Consider covering most of the spanner you use with insulating tape so you can't make a short circuit if it slips.

ย 

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

ย 

Remove all metal jewellery like rings, necklaces, bracelets, watches before starting work.

ย 

Consider covering most of the spanner you use with insulating tape so you can't make a short circuit if it slips.

ย 

Thats a really good point- knew a chap who got a seriously painful burn when he shorted his metal watch strap.ย 

Another thing to think about when getting new batteries is to make sure they will fit in the existing battery box. Battery boxes tend to be a pretty tight fit round batteries but batteries are not all the same size.ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Thats a really good point- knew a chap who got a seriously painful burn when he shorted his metal watch strap.ย 

ย 

Hence me not wearing a wedding ring, shorted out up behind a Hillman dashboard. Had a blister and scab for weeks.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

Don't forget to weigh the old ones in.ย  They are worth about a tenner each.ย  Make sure they are fully topped up before you weigh them in.๐Ÿ˜‰

ย 

N

Thanks mate ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

On 20/03/2022 at 13:31, TheBiscuits said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Good advice to remove jewellery and tape up spanners (you can also tape over hard to remove rings) whether or not you are sure what you are doing with batteries.

ย 

I once saw an experienced work colleague burn his fingers to the bone when he forgot to remove or tape up finger rings and accidentally created a short circuit with the ratchet he was using when working on a DC system.

40 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Good advice to remove jewellery and tape up spanners (you can also tape over hard to remove rings) whether or not you are sure what you are doing with batteries.

ย 

Yes, badly phrased. I certainly didn't mean to imply that someone who is used to handling batteries doesn't need to bother with removing jewellery!

ย 

As the OP wasn't sure what to do with the batteries I thought he'd probably not be aware of those risks.ย 

ย 

I'll also bet he isn't the only one reading this thread who isn't aware or has never thought about what happens if you get a dead short on 4 big leisure batteries connected in parallel.ย 

ย 

Especially going via a thin chain round your neck.ย ย You know those hot wire cutting tools for slicing polystyrene? ...ย :sick:

ย 

ย 

• Greenie 1

On 20/03/2022 at 15:30, Tony Brooks said:

ย 

Hence me not wearing a wedding ring, shorted out up behind a Hillman dashboard. Had a blister and scab for weeks.

I stopped wearing my wedding ring when I swung down a yacht companion way and effectively pushed it into my flesh to the bone. When it healed the ring would no longer fit.

On 20/03/2022 at 13:20, Alan de Enfield said:

ย 

Take photographs from all angles showing which connection goes where and which end of the barreies are the + and which are the -

ย 

Disconnect ALL of the 'negative' wires first.

ย 

The disconnect the positive wires, then remove all batteries.

ย 

Fit all new batteries in to the battery box.

Reconnect the batteries using your photos for guidance.

ย 

Connect ALL Positive wires first

ย 

Then connect all Negativeย  wires.

ย 

If you are not sure about anything on the boat. Always take pictures before you start - if it all goes pear-shaped then at least we have a clue as to where you have gone wrong.

Thanks Allen all done no probs thanks to you ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Happy 1