CTC is selling up and living on land...

Puffling

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

My better half has just informed me that Narrowboat Experience’s boat is now up for sale for those of you with a morbid interest in these things.

Yes, trying privately first it seems. Going to be quieter on the cut soon?   Just waiting for Jono now?

image.png.4904da7007f362f276f6745b349de7a3.png

Edited by robtheplod
  • Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

My better half has just informed me that Narrowboat Experience’s boat is now up for sale for those of you with a morbid interest in these things.

That seems a reasonable price for a 9 year old boat with only 1000 hours and a diesel stove plus CH- although maybe thats because I personally like those features. 

But it does make me wonder- how many liveaboard boaters carry on until they are forced to move to land by age/infirmity? 

I heard somewhere there are about 7,000 or so full time liveaboards, but there seems to be a fait bit of 'churn' in that population. 

I understand that for some its an affordable dwelling in a big city, so they may move to land as soon as they can afford to. 

There are probably quite a few (singles and couples) who try it full time and find that it just doesn't suit them, for whatever reason. 

I want to see a lot more of the system personally, before I would even consider packing in. I find it interesting and novel way of life, but maybe one day the novelty will wear off. A travelling (or at least mobile) lifestyle can sometimes leave you feeling rootless, and not everyone is comfortable with that feeling.

• Greenie 1

I know there was some family issues with one of the girls, so I think they need to be other places then being on the Canal. So I would say genuine unforeseen circumstances has forced this on them. So I wish them all the best for their future and hope everything works out.

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

That seems a reasonable price for a 9 year old boat with only 1000 hours and a diesel stove plus CH- although maybe thats because I personally like those features. 

So where they CCing on about 100 hours a year, I do that in a month

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So where they CCing on about 100 hours a year, I do that in a month

They did many thousands of miles on their previous boat, Ewart. Voyages on that boat form the bulk of their YouTube output.
The COVID-19 shutdown hit soon after they bought the boat now being sold, then I think other issues forced them to keep it in a marina.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, robtheplod said:

Yes, trying privately first it seems. Going to be quieter on the cut soon?   Just waiting for Jono now?

image.png.4904da7007f362f276f6745b349de7a3.png

I would say Minimalist next, once they do their boat up??

I also think CTC and the above have left because of genuine changes to life and have been honest about it. With others and I will say the “Foxes” it has been a calculated plan and they milked their followers as much as they could with the “building a new boat” Vlog talk,  so keeping their followers keen and inquisitive. This was something I questioned them about from the start, leading them deleting my remarks and getting blocked on their social media. It worked for them though with the ridiculous price they got for a basic boat and helped start their new life in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I would say Minimalist next, once they do their boat up??

I also think CTC and the above have left because of genuine changes to life and have been honest about it. With others and I will say the “Foxes” it has been a calculated plan and they milked their followers as much as they could with the “building a new boat” Vlog talk,  so keeping their followers keen and inquisitive. This was something I questioned them about from the start, leading them deleting my remarks and getting blocked on their social media. It worked for them though with the ridiculous price they got for a basic boat and helped start their new life in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Does that mean they are off the cut?? Phew!! One less YouTube idiot is a good thing. 

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

It worked for them though with the ridiculous price they got for a basic boat and helped start their new life in Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

I thought it was almost fraudulent the way they did that. Are they even getting a new boat built? That's the one thing I really hate about youtube.....the way the vloggers can simply delete remarks and completely shape the narrative.   

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I thought it was almost fraudulent the way they did that. Are they even getting a new boat built? That's the one thing I really hate about youtube.....the way the vloggers can simply delete remarks and completely shape the narrative.   

They mentioned a few years ago the base plate was laid down, then nothing but little snippets of talk, but nothing of real fact.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

They mentioned a few years ago the base plate was laid down, then nothing but little snippets of talk, but nothing of real fact.

There's rumours circulating that they never actually owned by the boat, and it was used for publicity for both them and the boat builders. It was due to the boat builder coming into financial difficulties in more recent times that the boat was sold. But hey don't believe everything you read on the Internet 😉

I thought I read somewhere online that the builders had ceased trading or had sold out, hence why there's no new boat but a search online shows them actively in business with no mention anywhere to the contrary.

2 hours ago, Liam said:

There's rumours circulating that they never actually owned by the boat, and it was used for publicity for both them and the boat builders. It was due to the boat builder coming into financial difficulties in more recent times that the boat was sold. But hey don't believe everything you read on the Internet 😉

I thought I read somewhere online that the builders had ceased trading or had sold out, hence why there's no new boat but a search online shows them actively in business with no mention anywhere to the contrary.

I could believe there maybe was some deal done to benefit both parties as I think everything(Foxes) was planned for their future away from the canals. As for the builder I would say Bickerstaffe were never boat builders, but fitters as they bought the shells in, then fitted out(like most doing completed boats these days) to basically the same internal design for each boat. I don’t think the end customer had much say in changes. Probably kitchen worktops, fire, floor covering and what they all drool about the spray paint colour scheme, but not a massive input compared to some builders/fitters.

I believe they sold out(the boat building side) about the same time the Foxes sold the boat and are now concentrating on boat handling training courses. This was probably a good decision and more relaxing then building complete boats with the massive increase in prices for building materials.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Liam said:

Interesting. Nothing would surprise me! It did strike me as strange that they should buy a brand new boat (the one they just sold) then 2 years later sell it to get another boat built. I mean who does that? 

On 20/03/2022 at 15:56, PD1964 said:

The thing with all ABNB ads is that the photos are all taken with too much flash and heavily adjusted in Photoshop. Just look at the windows, you can’t even see out of them the light is so highly adjusted. Gives the false impression of a well lighted bright interior.

This may explain why you can't see out of the windows.  As ABNB has explained elsewhere outside of this forum, it's a method they use to reduce shadows and contrast for their interior shots. It's a professional photography technique, nothing to do with creating a false impression.

[Photo credit: ABNB].

image.png.60d1f42c417abe909ff861d7f6fda414.png 

• Greenie 1

I knew a couple who left it until they were forced to return to land  due to ill health.

But they had not planned for it financially so all the money from the boat had to be set aside for rent as they could not afford to buy a house.

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

I knew a couple who left it until they were forced to return to land  due to ill health.

But they had not planned for it financially so all the money from the boat had to be set aside for rent as they could not afford to buy a house.

Someone needs to do 58ft x 6ft retirement homes for those who would miss the cut......

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, GRLMK38 said:

This may explain why you can't see out of the windows.  As ABNB has explained elsewhere outside of this forum, it's a method they use to reduce shadows and contrast for their interior shots. It's a professional photography technique, nothing to do with creating a false impression.

[Photo credit: ABNB].

image.png.60d1f42c417abe909ff861d7f6fda414.png 

But a totally false impression of the boats interior and natural light. With the quality of low light lenses these days, it’s quite easy to take natural photos using the correct amount of lighting and not blast them out with flash and post editing. Every ABNB boat interior looks the same.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

This is precisely why myself and the missus moved off the boat last year. We had enough cash to buy a house outright, but that would soon have been impossible, especialy with the ever increasing housing market. My health would probably have done up to five more years on board, but then we would have been at the mercy of others. Jump before being pushed was the way for us.

• Greenie 2

11 hours ago, booke23 said:

Interesting. Nothing would surprise me! It did strike me as strange that they should buy a brand new boat (the one they just sold) then 2 years later sell it to get another boat built. I mean who does that? 

And who tells everyone a few years ago that the base plate had been laid down and they had been in communication with varies people and their boat would be full of the latest technology and everything from start to finish would be filmed for their Amazon Channel?

More fool all their followers that believed it and never questioned it when nothing seamed to be happening. Then selling their boat(if it actually was theirs as above posts) for a ridiculous over market value to one of those followers.

Shows how many many people can get enthralled by YouTube and the dream it offers while sat watching a screen 100’s and 1000’s of miles away from reality😢

• Greenie 2

On 18/03/2022 at 22:26, Goliath said:

I clicked and when he said he had a lot to say I switched off.

He always had a lot to to say.

I expect he’ll go on to say a lot about something else.

Good luck to him 👍

Vandemonium is his van channel. He has a huge following. 

On 19/03/2022 at 09:04, mrsmelly said:

Blimey David, what about Tik Tok? or whatever the ridiculous site is called. On morning news tuther dy some kid was introduced as a famous Tik Tok star ffs. Then theres Twatter, established solely for Twats. The list is endless. We need a couple of Canal world superstars, then we might in a year or two have a couple of silly Baftas awarded to members 🤣

Slating social media posters, but has 17.k post on a social media site.

Oh you have to 🤣

• Greenie 1