CTC is selling up and living on land...

Puffling

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Puffling said:

So far nobody on this thread has mentioned Cruising The Cut's "not a vlog" productions. Each is a lengthy (sometimes as long as three hours) video, concentration on a single route, minimally edited and with no dialogue, music or captions.

Shot from the bow of the boat, they give a different perspective from that gained at the helm, something close to having a comfy seat on the well deck. The weather changes, roads come close to the canal and then snake off again  I find these some of his most absorbing videos, especially the river ones.

A sample:

Thanks for alerting us to their existence.

A lovely background to have playing on the TV, as familiar sights and boats  are encountered, at the speeds familiar to us.

The only distraction  is  predicting the sounds of passing trains adjacent to the Grand Union Canal.

Also liked the trip on another slow TV Utube offering, complete with the sounds of a Lister? from Casio Wharf towards London as well.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Knighty said:

I can’t be bothered to watch the whole blog, does he mention where he’s going to live? I wonder if he is buying that canalside house with dock and workshops he did a vlog on a while back?

He explicitly says he's not; way beyond his price range.

MP.

15 hours ago, Goliath said:

How do people cope in real life on the towpath when met with someone equally tiresome?

If I've done a half-decent job of it, they usually up sticks at 8am next morning, and cruise on. 

Occasionally I have to have the Lithium Chat with them, before they finally give up and move on.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Occasionally I have to have the Lithium Chat with them, before they finally give up and move on.

Excellent technique, I'll adopt that one too if I may! 

Another (related) technique is to tell them you have an electric car (whether or not you have one) and start going on about the range. That usually gets rid of people you don't want to talk to, too. 

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Another (related) technique is to tell them you have an electric car (whether or not you have one) and start going on about the range.  

"These Eppings are great, I've been comparing mine's performance on various types of smokeless fuel. What I've concluded is.....oh, you've gone".

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

"These Eppings are great, I've been comparing mine's performance on various types of smokeless fuel. 

Have you? Excellent!

Do post up your figures - I'd be fascinated to read them. We can compare them with mine....

:giggles:

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

Excellent technique, I'll adopt that one too if I may! 

Another (related) technique is to tell them you have an electric car (whether or not you have one) and start going on about the range. That usually gets rid of people you don't want to talk to, too. 

My worry about the electric car method is that I might come across someone who is either knowledgeable or enthusiastic on the subject. Or even worse, both. 

The whole scheme could blow up in my face, and I might end up trapped in an interminable lecture by someone who knows lots about an utterly excruciating subject, and is highly motivated to pass on their information. 

In other words, beaten at my own nefarious game.

Obviously some sort of social norms must be followed in this game. For example, it is not that easy to crowbar lithium batteries into a random towpath conversation, so one must always be on the lookout for an 'in'.

The running of their engine to recharge is a golden opportunity.

Innocent talk about electricity generation can easily be steered onto batteries, and then the Lithium Chat can be launched with no outward appearance of malice aforethought. 

For maximum evil, a twist on this technique is to make the dream of lithium batteries seem achievable initially, so that the victim walks willingly into the most boring conversation of their adult life. 

Tease them with tales of how cheap these batteries are nowadays.

Lie shamelessly about easy they are to look after, and how easy to install.

Once the victim's interest is aroused, move the subject on to the various options for charging, the deadly peril of alternator fires, BMSs, and of course our old friend the BMV712. 

It quickly turns into sort of a conversational relativity- for them, time seems to have slowed down to a tenth of its normal pace, but for you it  moves normally.

Amazing really. 

It matters not how little one knows about lithium batteries. However little you know (and in my case it is very little), it will be more than they know. 

One of these days I'm bound to come across Nick on the towpath and start my lithium chat, and my whole scheme will collapse, and it will be me who is driven away in shame and ignominy. 

Edited by Tony1
  • Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

One of these days I'm bound to come across Nick on the towpath and start my lithium chat, and my whole scheme will collapse, and it will be me who is driven away in shame and ignominy. 

Whilst agreeing with your points in the most part, meeting His Normanship on the towpath could actually turn out to be great, and the same thing in reverse.

One could marshal and trail out those minor trivial questions one has about lithiums, on an 'Oh by the way while you're here, what about...?" basis, get a nice brain picking discussion going then just as the lock empties, blurt out the next question you'd idly like an answer to. For you, this will take barely five minutes to suck out about 100 threads-worth of information, but for Nick it will seem more like five hours.

I wonder if he has ever considered painting over the name "Telemachus" on his bote....

34 minutes ago, MtB said:

Whilst agreeing with your points in the most part, meeting His Normanship on the towpath could actually turn out to be great, and the same thing in reverse.

One could marshal and trail out those minor trivial questions one has about lithiums, on an 'Oh by the way while you're here, what about...?" basis, get a nice brain picking discussion going then just as the lock empties, blurt out the next question you'd idly like an answer to. For you, this will take barely five minutes to suck out about 100 threads-worth of information, but for Nick it will seem more like five hours.

I wonder if he has ever considered painting over the name "Telemachus" on his bote....

Oh dear no- I wasn't meaning to imply that Nick would 'counter-bore' me, but rather that he would expose my tissue-thin veneer of knowledge, and would thus force me to retreat from the subject in disgrace. 

On a practical level, as you say, meeting His Lithiumness in person would indeed be a great opportunity to delve into all those partially-answered questions in so many threads.... 

For me this would take at least five hours of normal time, but for poor Nick I think the sensation of time might actually stop. 

But as tempting as that would be, rule number one of the lithium club is: don't talk about lithium (in person). 

Edited by Tony1

18 minutes ago, Puffling said:

Have a look:

https://www.abnb.co.uk/boat?BoatID=3822

(I'm not on commission [more's the pity]).

The ad tells you that the boat was home to a well known, but un-named, internet vlogger, then you look down the photos and see a Cruising the Cut sticker on the washing machine!😀

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

The ad tells you that the boat was home to a well known, but un-named, internet vlogger, then you look down the photos and see a Cruising the Cut sticker on the washing machine!😀

The thing with all ABNB ads is that the photos are all taken with too much flash and heavily adjusted in Photoshop. Just look at the windows, you can’t even see out of them the light is so highly adjusted. Gives the false impression of a well lighted bright interior.

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

The thing with all ABNB ads is that the photos are all taken with too much flash and heavily adjusted in Photoshop. Just look at the windows, you can’t even see out of them the light is so highly adjusted. Gives the false impression of a well lighted bright interior.

This seems to be a universal thing. The amount of flats I've viewed that look lovely and bright, clean white walls. And then you view them in person and it's a grungy, dirty and dark hole that is asking for half your income a month. It's a waste of time, but it doesn't hurt them because ultimately you're not going to pass up on the boat/house/flat that you do like from a place that might have done you a bit dirty with your time.

I think hatches seem to not help with this either. Initially I've seen some porthole only boats, and they swing open all the doors and hatches, and mid-summer it looks so bright. But when viewing them you can see, with them all closed (especially in winter I imagine), it's quite dark.

36 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

It's priced about £12k more than he paid for it, not bad for 6.5 years?

He could of got a lot more if he never used a broker and did a “click bait” Vlog saying  something like “The most famous Narrowboat on the Canals for sale” then ripped one of his followers off by £40-£60K, Oh sorry I think that’s been done. 
 I wonder if “The most famous Narrowboat on the Canal” will increase in price £12k or loose £60k in a couple of years???

Then that’s the difference between Dave and The Foxes, he’s a decent bloke and good luck to him in whatever he chooses in the future.

• Greenie 1

Best of luck to him.  David's were the first vlogs i watched when considering a narrowboat.   Always well produced, entertaining and informative.    None of it in a " look what i have done and this is how you should do it " manner but in an often self deprecating way.   The Foxes i can watch in small doses only but as said in earlier post, Narrowboat Pirate is another i enjoy, plenty of humour and inuendos in a " Carry on up the cut " style.   There are some however who simply should not be allowed a camera.  

No, i will miss Crusing the Cut and best of luck to him for the future.

6 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Best of luck to him.  David's were the first vlogs i watched when considering a narrowboat.   Always well produced, entertaining and informative.    None of it in a " look what i have done and this is how you should do it " manner but in an often self deprecating way.   The Foxes i can watch in small doses only but as said in earlier post, Narrowboat Pirate is another i enjoy, plenty of humour and inuendos in a " Carry on up the cut " style.   There are some however who simply should not be allowed a camera.  

No, i will miss Crusing the Cut and best of luck to him for the future.

His channel isnt ending. He plans to continue making canal related videos. They just wont be as frequent or based from his boat.

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

My better half has just informed me that Narrowboat Experience’s boat is now up for sale for those of you with a morbid interest in these things.

Seems that these YouTube types may have discovered it’s not for them…wonder if their devoted followers will realise it’s not always how they make it out to be.