CTC is selling up and living on land...

Puffling

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Why hs it posted it twice? 
i know we are in rural australis in van life

But did it go round the internet in both directions?

I've hidden one of them.

If you want it back, let us know.

20 minutes ago, DShK said:

Some real gatekeeping going on in this thread...

Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean by "gatekeeping"?

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

A secretary is her bosses 'gatekeeper' keeping people away and filtering information - maybe you should put the poster on 'spam watch' along with that other one who just posts "I'm an enginer"

Gatekeeping is the process through which information is filtered for dissemination, whether for publication, broadcasting, the internet, or some other mode of communication.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

One of the few competent canal related vloggers on Youtube. Fortunately he does intend to continue posting on "Cruising the Cut", so I for one will look forward to his vlogs as a balance to the posting here by self-centred curmudgeons. 😄

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

He makes a valid point about not getting too old and his boat getting too old to be worth much before leaving it too late before selling and using what assets he has to use as a house deposit.

I cant imagine many things worse than being alone frail and infirm stuck on a deteriorating boat that you are not fit enough to move or even empty its bog. Detached from family too.

This reminds me of a poignant moment in one of Gerard Morgan-Grenville's books, 'Barging through France' perhaps. He cruised past a wharf where a group of ancient, redundant commercial barges were moored, populated by equally ancient people, and speculated as to which would expire first.

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A secretary is her bosses 'gatekeeper' keeping people away and filtering information - maybe you should put the poster on 'spam watch' along with that other one who just posts "I'm an enginer"

Gatekeeping is the process through which information is filtered for dissemination, whether for publication, broadcasting, the internet, or some other mode of communication.

That's a possible explanation, though I'm not sure it has any relevance to this topic.

As he has posted no "spam" (which has commercial content) I can't see any reason to to put him on such a list.

37 minutes ago, Athy said:

I've hidden one of them.

If you want it back, let us know.

Welcome to the forum.

No dont need it back enough of my drivel first time.

I have 12 verses of a refused doggrel about the ‘man from snowy river ‘ an australian  icon. 

I wrote it in 35 degrees with an extreme infection following routine surgery in an australian hospital.

Let me know and I can digress this forum and the gatekeeping.

17 minutes ago, DShK said:

Thanks for the welcome guys! I've been lurking for a while - finally made myself sign up this morning. Didn't mean to start by posting something a bit antagonistic!

What I meant by gatekeeping - and this is something you see in all, especially online, communities - is the artificial placing of boundaries to entry to the community to keep away "outsiders".  People who define their sense of self by something tend to be defensive of that thing - if suddenly everyone is doing it, then what they defined as their identity has disappeared.

In this case it was the implied denial of David as a "boater" because he'd "only" done it for six years "didn't have it in his blood" etc etc, and had made a sensible decision for his future. Plus the usual grumblings of social media. I suspect my sensitivity in this case - as hopeful boater - is I see a bit of myself in David.

But I digress! David's move away from cruising to more documentary style videos really sets him apart, and makes full use of his professional history. I hope he can continue to effectively document a rich part of our national history, making it more accessible to everyone.

I suspect the negative comments came from some who hadn't watched this particular video. If they had they would understand why he's selling up and how that fits in with the various periods and times in his life and need to change every now and then.

He also indicates he may actually return to boating, but as a leisure boater at some point in the future. I for one would love to see a blog of a fit out of a Wilderness Trail boat which he said he may consider doing in the future.

Talk of him 'not being a boater' is frankly just utter nonsense.

I had disparaging comments on here when we gave up boat ownership (not liveaboards) after just five years but then when I looked at the individuals making them and commenting on my reasons I was reminded of how worthless the opinion of certain people is.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

Cruisi g the Cut, David Johns, one of the most established vloggers, has been discussed on here. His videos are very professional, because he is a professional, a front of camera news reporter. . He also has Vandemonium, a van channel 

I remember from earlier vlogs he had given up his job and moved in order to be near his parents, obviously not in the first flush of youth. 

I don't think it is necessary to be a dyed in the wool "proper boater" to live on board for a few years, then move back to land. Its not strange to me, I live on board, and when I get fed up with it I'll sell up, I think that is sensible. I don't claim to be proper boater, to me this is like saying I used to be a real householder. 

You make a good point. Who's actually a real "dyed in the wool" boater with boating "in their bones" on this forum? It sounds like nonsense to me. Doesn't MTB live in a house? 🤣 He was when I met him anyway. 

I watched CTC's YouTube blogs a few times and found them interesting and his presentation style entertaining. The fact that he wasn't teaching me anything new didn't really matter. I did make a comment on one of videos telling him how to plumb his water pump in properly which he didn't take kindly to, but it's his boat so he can do what he wants.

If he's selling up and moving on that's also fine. We'll all do it at some point unless we die onboard.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 3

4 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Whether they were by him or not, I do not know but I did try watching a couple many years ago, but after a few minutes, my attention was diverted looking for an egg to suck! I never could tolerate so called "experts" who actually know very little about the Canals.

Not his vlogs, he is quite watchable, solo man, not expert, his first DIY was how to attach a coat hook, he moved on to other things.

You are falling in to a trap thinking any of these are instructionsl videos. They are not. David actually states he is no expert. 

A few "I know it all vlogs" appear, then disappear.

If you know so much ab out eggs, why not put up your own instructional. Video, you might get an income after about 100,000 subscribers. it takes about 6 years, one a week, 50 x 6 vlogs. Hint, don't use a phone camera, Pro equipment plus good presentation skills. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Whether they were by him or not, I do not know but I did try watching a couple many years ago, but after a few minutes, my attention was diverted looking for an egg to suck! I never could tolerate so called "experts" who actually know very little about the Canals.

Totally agree , found him totally irritating

much Prefer the humility of Robbie

• Unimpressed 1

Its like the first wave of YouTubers now moving on - CRC, Foxes Afloat, Narrowboat Experience etc..... I wonder if they will be like the young lad Dan Brown (Sort of Interesting) who moved to land, missed boating too much and moved back?  

My Favourite YouTubers currently are Narrowboat Pirate (innuendo overflow!), Narrowboat Will (he is a bit mad, but a good mechanic!) and Narrowboat Hands (techy who does narrowboat hire maintenance/turnarounds - fascinating stuff)...

• Greenie 1

48 minutes ago, midnight cowboy said:

Totally agree , found him totally irritating

much Prefer the humility of Robbie

You can't expect to like everyone you meet, and so it is with vloggers, in fact those I have met are exactly the same face to face. If you find him irritating, just don't watch, I would have thought that was obvious. 

Most NB vlogs, are going to have a wide audience, people who are mildly interested in the subject, very few need to know how to change the engine oil on an Isuzu, that's just too niche. 

• Greenie 2

39 minutes ago, LadyG said:

You can't expect to like everyone you meet, and so it is with vloggers, in fact those I have met are exactly the same face to face. If you find him irritating, just don't watch, I would have thought that was obvious. 

Most NB vlogs, are going to have a wide audience, people who are mildly interested in the subject, very few need to know how to change the engine oil on an Isuzu, that's just too niche. 

Interesting point.

Most successful vloggers on Narrowboats show their personality - often a couple who chat to camera and have banter - just like someone at the pub. The danger is people can take against them but that's life. If you look at views on videos these are the most popular. Techy type vlogs on maintenance etc don't come close in views to the human aspect vlogs, so that tells you lots about why people watch them.

• Greenie 1

So far nobody on this thread has mentioned Cruising The Cut's "not a vlog" productions. Each is a lengthy (sometimes as long as three hours) video, concentration on a single route, minimally edited and with no dialogue, music or captions.

Shot from the bow of the boat, they give a different perspective from that gained at the helm, something close to having a comfy seat on the well deck. The weather changes, roads come close to the canal and then snake off again  I find these some of his most absorbing videos, especially the river ones.

A sample:

• Love 1