Jump to content

CTC is selling up and living on land...


Puffling

Featured Posts

David never struck me as someone with more than a passing interest in canals and boating. He's done a competent job of demonstrating canal boat life in my view but boating is not in his blood and in his bones. I'm not surprised he's knocking it on the head.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Who is CTC / David? I have never heard of him.

 

He’s the most successful/watched of the many youtube canal boat channels.

 

43 minutes ago, MtB said:

David never struck me as someone with more than a passing interest in canals and boating. He's done a competent job of demonstrating canal boat life in my view but boating is not in his blood and in his bones. I'm not surprised he's knocking it on the head.

 

I’m not surprised either. He never really seemed to embrace the cruising element of narrowboating. I do enjoy watching some of his documentary style videos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, MtB said:

David never struck me as someone with more than a passing interest in canals and boating. He's done a competent job of demonstrating canal boat life in my view but boating is not in his blood and in his bones. I'm not surprised he's knocking it on the head.

He did a nice video for the Cotswold Canal Trust

  • Greenie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a massive youtube watcher but have dabbled a couple of times. I've noticed that when not cruising or visiting interesting places they can sometimes be happy to sit in one place spouting on about themselves, their plans, whatever for 30 minutes or so quite happily. I have often wondered how Putin could address the nation for 4-5 hours at a time without people switching off. I'm not equating the youtubers with Putin, just the seemingly endless capacity of some people to absorb self indulgent ramblings. 

  • Greenie 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He makes a valid point about not getting too old and his boat getting too old to be worth much before leaving it too late before selling and using what assets he has to use as a house deposit.

 

I cant imagine many things worse than being alone frail and infirm stuck on a deteriorating boat that you are not fit enough to move or even empty its bog. Detached from family too.

 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

I clicked and when he said he had a lot to say I switched off.

He always had a lot to to say.

I expect he’ll go on to say a lot about something else.

Good luck to him 👍

Out of interest I have just watched the first quarter-hour of the video.

He comes over as a clubbable fellow, but his narrative does tend to go from London to Brighton via Weston-super-Mare.

I was somehow reminded of Ronnie Corbett's interminable monologues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MtB said:

 

Youtube vlogger, channel name "Cruising the Cut".

 

 

9 hours ago, booke23 said:

 

He’s the most successful/watched of the many youtube canal boat channels.

 

 

Whether they were by him or not, I do not know but I did try watching a couple many years ago, but after a few minutes, my attention was diverted looking for an egg to suck! I never could tolerate so called "experts" who actually know very little about the Canals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

 

 

Whether they were by him or not, I do not know but I did try watching a couple many years ago, but after a few minutes, my attention was diverted looking for an egg to suck! I never could tolerate so called "experts" who actually know very little about the Canals.

Blimey David, what about Tik Tok? or whatever the ridiculous site is called. On morning news tuther dy some kid was introduced as a famous Tik Tok star ffs. Then theres Twatter, established solely for Twats. The list is endless. We need a couple of Canal world superstars, then we might in a year or two have a couple of silly Baftas awarded to members 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Out of interest I have just watched the first quarter-hour of the video.

He comes over as a clubbable fellow, but his narrative does tend to go from London to Brighton via Weston-super-Mare.

I was somehow reminded of Ronnie Corbett's interminable monologues.

By looking in the video description, you are able to cut to the chase and see the video divided into topics, each with a timestamp. But he does warn at the outset it's going to be a "cups of tea and packets of biscuits" kind of talk.

I'd have liked a few cutaways so those unfamiliar with his boat could at least get a quick impression of it. For a lot of his time making episodes, he avoided showing the boat's name, probably for a less complicated life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

He makes a valid point about not getting too old and his boat getting too old to be worth much before leaving it too late before selling and using what assets he has to use as a house deposit.

 

I cant imagine many things worse than being alone frail and infirm stuck on a deteriorating boat that you are not fit enough to move or even empty its bog. Detached from family too.

 

I havnt watched the vlog or whatever its called but these are valid points. A dear friend of mine aged 81 was recently in this very position after forty plus years on board. He did get quite a lot for his well kept boat however. This, combined more importantly with my failing health is all part of the reason why we down graded back to a house last year after more than thirty years living aboard. We had enough cash to buy a house, the way prices have rocketed ( obscene ) we would very soon have not had enough cash and ended up later on stuck and unable to enjoy the boat life. The area is fabulous where we now live, not far to beach, nice garden, beautiful scenery etc etc but in all honesty its still a downgrade, as we, ( especialy the missus ) truly loved the boating life, way superior to a house. What you do need of course is a genuine boat loving missus.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.