Will it fit?

Moke

Featured Posts

The other half and I have been looking for a boat for a while now and eventually, last weekend, we found one that pretty much fits the bill. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that it’s 61’ long 

My understanding is that the size limit for using the L&L is 60’ but reading the CRT  boater guide it gives the maximum length as 62’. 
   I know we can get into Leeds basin so at least we can visit family but  I was wondering if anyone on here could give some real world clarification on whether we could travel any further 

Just now, Moke said:

The other half and I have been looking for a boat for a while now and eventually, last weekend, we found one that pretty much fits the bill. The only fly in the ointment is the fact that it’s 61’ long 

My understanding is that the size limit for using the L&L is 60’ but reading the CRT  boater guide it gives the maximum length as 62’. 
   I know we can get into Leeds basin so at least we can visit family but  I was wondering if anyone on here could give some real world clarification on whether we could travel any further 

Yes it will fit.

L&L locks are longer than 62'.  You will however get very wet on some flights, so make sure the boat can shed water well without flooding at both the bow and the stern.

I have very seriously advised some boats to tape up deckboards on longer boats before doing Bingley or Wigan locks but these are not the only ones to watch out on.

I'd also advise accurately measuring the boat length yourself.  Boats tend to grow or shrink in the telling depending on what the measurement is needed for ...

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Moke said:

Worth checking what a boat's actual length is. You may get a pleasant surprise.

Our boat was 60ft and was a tight squeeze particularly in the Five and Three rises at Bingley. Another foot would have been a further challenge but doable with a bit of judicious jiggling.

However you will be close to the gates in all the locks and you will get wet. Close the doors going up and down, wear waterproof trousers and make sure our bilge pump is in order.

61ft eh? 

Is that with fenders UP, or DOWN? With rudder straight or hard over to one side? Best to check these things.

Also, if a boat will just about squeeze into a lock with fenders lifted and the rudder had over, it can be a miserable experience if water is cascading through/over the top gates. Also, silling the boat when going down becomes a serious risk....

I have a 61ft 6”(plus fenders) Trad Stern, went from Leeds to top of Bingley and back a couple of years ago, you’ll be tight in the locks and you will get wet, all the maned locks Newley and Bingley they’ll want you to double up if boats are waiting. Not that bad going up but coming down you have to get right up to the Cill to get out. This is the most tricky part with the amount of water coming through the gates, you will get wet and will need to close your rear down as much as possible with enough gap to reach your morse control. But doable you just need to be more switched on then in a 57/58. I wouldn’t like to do it on a 61ft cruiser or Semi-Trad. Good luck.

Well, thanks for the replies, they pretty much confirm what I suspected. But it’s good news. I’m aware of the Calder locks and that a trip up to York is out of the question  but that’s a small price to pay when compared with all the pluses 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Moke said:

Well, thanks for the replies, they pretty much confirm what I suspected. But it’s good news. I’m aware of the Calder locks and that a trip up to York is out of the question  but that’s a small price to pay when compared with all the pluses 

You’ll get to York no problem, just not to Ripon. Where are you moored?

Right now it’s down in Northampton, we’re going for a test drive tomorrow so that’ll be the decider. 

P.S.  I don’t want to go into too much detail because up till now every time we tell someone about what’s happening it all goes south……and I don’t want to jinx this one 

• Greenie 1

Just now, Moke said:

Right now it’s down in Northampton, we’re going for a test drive tomorrow so that’ll be the decider. 

I have a 61.5” and looking back I would of got a 57’ what I’m finding is there are far more leisure/residential moorings for a 57’ then a 61’ and on a well laid out boat you will not miss going smaller.

Also you can get more places without the worry of sinking your home.

What stern are you looking at?

• Unimpressed 1

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

I have a 61.5” and looking back I would of got a 57’ what I’m finding is there are far more leisure/residential moorings for a 57’ then a 61’ and on a well laid out boat you will not miss going smaller.

Also you can get more places without the worry of sinking your home.

What stern are you looking at?

You have just posted similar to what I was about to.

If I knew we were going to end up predominately based on the Northern system I wouldnt have bought a 60ft.

57ft 58ft max.

We started on the T&M.

11 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

You have just posted similar to what I was about to.

If I knew we were going to end up predominately based on the Northern system I wouldnt have bought a 60ft.

57ft 58ft max.

We started on the T&M.

Totally agree, if he is basing himself North he is missing out on seeing the Huddersfield, Rochdale and up to Ripon with a 61ft and getting the boat wet on the L&L(not enjoyable sometimes) If he doesn’t do the L&L all he’ll have is a limited area, Stanley Ferry, Leeds, York, Goole, Doncaster, Sheffield(??? I hear 60ft restriction??) a decent cruising area but becomes boring quickly.

Better with a 57/58’ and have total coverage and more choice of mooring availability.

22 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Why?

Have they shortened the locks recently?

Can a 61ft get that way from the East?

I don’t know where he’ll be based, but was Talking about Leeds area to visit?????

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

57ft 58ft max.

We started on the T&M.

For our first boat we knew we were going to be based on Calder & Hebble, we were looking at a 55ft and a 57ft. The owner of the mooring said to go with the 55ft and I am glad because that 2ft difference made life much less fraught on that canal and much drier feet in Salterhebble locks. Just better to have a bit of room to spare. 

Good morning everyone, I’m just catching up on the replies that came in after I went to bed. To answer some questions, we’re not planning on basing ourselves oop north (it’s just where we’re from is all) The other half has offspring in Lincoln and London, I’ve friends over Birmingham way so I think we’ll be here, there and everywhere. 
  I know a 57 to 60 would be ideal but sometimes when everything else about the boat is good you just have to accept the odd little quirk…….if you can call 12” quirky!!

By the way, it’s a round cruiser stern 

2 hours ago, Number 9 said:

On the other hand, if you only go to Leeds once every other year and spend the rest of the time further south, getting wet a couple of times v an extra 4 ft of space for the other 726 days?

If it is simply a case of getting wet once a year, then agreed.

However - with a cruiser sterned NB at maximum length there is a big risk of flooding the boat. You would need to make the deck boards water/air tight before using the lock, forgetting to stop and do it it before entering the lock, could result in not just getting wet once a year, but 'sinking' once a year.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Worth checking what a boat's actual length is. You may get a pleasant surprise.

I ordered a 57ft sailaway from Scouse Boat Company.  When I visited to check on progress the cabin top was fitted to the hull, windows cut out and all.   The window locations seemed to be rather odd - measuring from the front of the cabin they were right but measuring from the back they were 4ft too far forward.  I decided to measure the hull - it was 61ft long!!   The workshop foreman glibly said "oh that's OK, we'll call this boat a stock boat and start afresh".  The speed at which they turned out boats meant that the delay to building my 57ft hull was only 10 days.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I ordered a 57ft sailaway from Scouse Boat Company.  When I visited to check on progress the cabin top was fitted to the hull, windows cut out and all.   The window locations seemed to be rather odd - measuring from the front of the cabin they were right but measuring from the back they were 4ft too far forward.  I decided to measure the hull - it was 61ft long!!   The workshop foreman glibly said "oh that's OK, we'll call this boat a stock boat and start afresh".  The speed at which they turned out boats meant that the delay to building my 57ft hull was only 10 days.

I suspect this happens quite a lot. If a slight (or big) mis-measure gets noticed once the shell construction is under way, adjusting the length is a big undertaking and the shell builder is likely to want to persuade/pressure the customer to accept it the length it is, with perhaps a cash adjustment rather than change it. IF it gets noticed in the first place.

I have to admit I never measured the only new shell I ever had built, I just accepted that having ordered 58ft, that this was what they delivered. I just ordered the longest bare shell I could afford! It certainly looked about right but I guess it could have been anything from 56ft to 60ft and I probably wouldn't have noticed.