Safe mooring south of Autherley junction

boatsandsteam

Featured Posts

Picking a hire boat up from Autherley junction on Saturday afternoon in 10 days. Intend to go south down Staffs and Worcs.  Where would be a good safe spot to moor no more than 2 hours south of Autherley or am I better to stay at Napton Narrowboats base on Saturday night and start on Sunday?

Anywhere from above Compton lock southward will be fine. Compton is a popular mooring with many local facilities. It's better below the lock.

Bratch visitor moorings (above the locks) are not within 2 hours of Autherley hire base, that would take up to 4 hours. 

Edited by Captain Pegg

I would see if you think you have time to get down to Dimmingsdale Lock Moorings.  This is a little over 5 miles from Autherley Junction, and there are three locks (not counting Dimmingdale Lock as the moorings are above the lock.)  Should take less than 3 hours, I would say.  Further than you ask for, boatsandsteam, but the moorings have rings, and they are on the offside of the canal.  It's rather remote, so very quiet.   

Edited by Tom Morgan

49 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

We usually stop below Compton lock, handy for the chip shop and Sainsbury's.

The Italian restaurant there (Fiume, at the bridge right by the moorings) is also supposed to be good, though I haven't tried it -- I've got my eye on it as the last night stopping place before taking our hire boat back to Napton at Autherley Junction in June.

Had a good meal at The Mermaid Wightwick but that is only  just over an hour and a couple of locks down from the junction.

52 minutes ago, Tom Morgan said:

I would see if you think you have time to get down to Dimmingsdale Lock Moorings.  This is a little over 5 miles from Autherley Junction, and there are three locks (not counting Dimmingdale Lock as the moorings are above the lock.)  Should take less than 3 hours, I would say.  Further than you ask for, boatsandsteam, but the moorings have rings, and they are on the offside of the canal.  It's rather remote, so very quiet.   

Found that bywash a bit noisy, preferred the towpath side slightly higher up

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

We usually stop below Compton lock, handy for the chip shop and Sainsbury's.

If you like Indian the Mem Shaib (above a pub) used to be superb and may well still be

Compton is a good location but we have often found the moorings below the lock to be full if arriving later in the day, so we stop above the lock and walk down to check before going through. The chippy is excellent (Peps Plaice). Also the Marstons pub, The Swan on the Bridgnorth Road is very good. We have not tried the Oddfellows which looks to be generic eatery/pub.

My vote would be the visitor moorings just after Bridge 56 at Wightwick.  As previously mentioned close to Mermaid pub. Also very close to the National Trust property Wightwick Manor which is well worth a visit. No security issues, I left my boat there 2 days last year when I went up to Birmingham.

1 hour ago, Awayonmyboat said:

My vote would be the visitor moorings just after Bridge 56 at Wightwick.  As previously mentioned close to Mermaid pub. Also very close to the National Trust property Wightwick Manor which is well worth a visit. No security issues, I left my boat there 2 days last year when I went up to Birmingham.

We stopped there in September last year, no troubles at all, quite a few boats moored on the offside on permanent moorings at what I believe used to be a hire base.

7 hours ago, Awayonmyboat said:

We stopped there last summer on the visitor moorings, which are opposite to long term moorings.  Seemed fine.

As others have said there are many nice places to stop. But, seeing you  ❤ Ale... Dimmingsdale may be remote, but is only 1/2 mile from the Greyhound, Lower Penn (along narrow country lanes). Enville Ale, Hobsons Town Crier plus two others. If you do get a little further Awbridge is only 1/2 mile from the Bell, Trysull (country lanes plus fields). Holden's pub with Bathams as guest. Neither are canal side, so are often overlooked by boaters, but if you are in the right place and don't mind a walk...