4 year old 2-pack epoxy, what to expect?

Woodwych

Featured Posts

Yardarm is booked into dry dock this summer. It had 2 pack epoxy (Jotunmastic 87 I think) applied when built and this will be the first time out the water. Use has been gentle since the build.

The dry dock don’t do 2-pack so it’s a DIY situation. I’m wondering what to expect and what to plan for with regard to paint supplies?

Will it likely be patches that need redoing or is the whole hull going to need re-coating? Are there photos online of what looks ok and what doesn’t?

I appreciate its very unpredictable but would value the experience of others

It really depends on its original application. If it was applied correctly to a clean hull then you might not need to do anything. Mine was first docked after 6 years and it was in fantastic condition. I went over the hull to ;rough' it up and applied three more coats. It was docked again last year and still in great condition with absolutely no pitting.

• Greenie 1

Power wash off well. Take any damage back to clean steel.  Double coat these areas. Then give it all a scrub with a wire brush just to remove any ingrained algae then a full coat all over.

If you are keel cooled with skin tanks, do not over coat that area as you can lose cooling capacity.

I asked Jotun for advice, or maybe it was SML (they sell kits) they came up with jota mastic 90, three coats, I did not think about the skin tanks, but it would be a good idea as the coating is quite thick. The hull was power washed and brushed with cupped brushes on a big drill. 

The boat had been epoxied from new, and was free of rust after 20 years. Boat came out today, for repairs, quite a lot of algae (swan attractant) but no signs of rust, except a little where base mets hull. Its a year since it was epoxied, prep as per Tracy D`

I missed a trick, I should have used the time out of water to rub down the rubbing strakes, then slap some paint on, boat had quite a baptism of fire in Bingley 3 and 5 locks, paired up with a newby boater who seem to be over keen to keep close to me, lots of engine action, entering locks and inside the locks. Even without his attentions the locks are very 'active'. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I asked Jotun for advice, or maybe it was SML (they sell kits) they came up with jota mastic 90, three coats, I did not think about the skin tanks, but it would be a good idea as the coating is quite thick. The hull was power washed and brushed with cupped brushes on a big drill. 

The boat had been epoxied from new, and was free of rust after 20 years. Boat came out today, for repairs, quite a lot of algae (swan attractant) but no signs of rust, except a little where base mets hull. Its a year since it was epoxied, prep as per Tracy D`

I missed a trick, I should have used the time out of water to rub down the rubbing strakes, then slap some paint on, boat had quite a baptism of fire in Bingley 3 and 5 locks, paired up with a newby boater who seem to be over keen to keep close to me, lots of engine action, entering locks and inside the locks. Even without his attentions the locks are very 'active'. 

What’s the base like?

If it’s been epoxied I’d be interested to know.

Just done mine for the first time.