Wolvercote Lift Bridge 233 (Oxford)- extended stoppage not reported via CRT yet

Boat afloat

Featured Posts

Just had a helpful conversation with a CRT rep who has asked if I can report an extension to a stoppage that the website isn't currently stating.

The stoppage at 233 is supposed to be finishing on the 18th March but will be extended by at least 3-4 weeks!

The alternative route is up the River Thames and across Dukes Cut but you need to book the passage with CRT via phone.

The CRT website suggests that Dukes Lock 44 is also closed. This is mostly true. You need to book the lock in conjunction with the passage along Dukes Cut and they will open/unlock the lock for you. You need to book at least 24 hours in advance but they are recommending 48 hours just to be safe...

Obviously anyone currently sitting on the Oxford waiting for the Wolvercote Lift Bridge to open this weekend is going to find this a major disappointment :(

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Boat afloat said:

Just had a helpful conversation with a CRT rep who has asked if I can report an extension to a stoppage that the website isn't currently stating.

The stoppage at 233 is supposed to be finishing on the 18th March but will be extended by at least 3-4 weeks!

The alternative route is up the River Thames and across Dukes Cut but you need to book the passage with CRT via phone.

The CRT website suggests that Dukes Lock 44 is also closed. This is mostly true. You need to book the lock in conjunction with the passage along Dukes Cut and they will open/unlock the lock for you. You need to book at least 24 hours in advance but they are recommending 48 hours just to be safe...

Obviously anyone currently sitting on the Oxford waiting for the Wolvercote Lift Bridge to open this weekend is going to find this a major disappointment :(

This is where you need to go to book it

To book, please contact the London & South East Customer Service Team on 0303 040 4040 or by

emailenquiries.londonsoutheast@canalrivertrust.org.uk

Edited by ditchcrawler

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

This is where you need to go to book it

To book, please contact the London & South East Customer Service Team on 0303 040 4040 or by

emailenquiries.londonsoutheast@canalrivertrust.org.uk

I should have posted up the number - doh!!

They did suggest to me that it was best to phone for the booking rather than email but I suspect that's as much so they can capture the info they need for the passage in one hit rather than anything else.

10 hours ago, Boat afloat said:

Is there any specific reason Dukes Lock is padlocked closed and passage has to be booked? Is this a permanent thing or just something done over winter?

2 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Is there any specific reason Dukes Lock is padlocked closed and passage has to be booked? Is this a permanent thing or just something done over winter?

Only guessing but its to do with the water dropping down above the work on the bridge, maybe they have lowered the level between Ducks cut lock (both of them) and the dame at the bridge.

Had a walk down there the other day and they have lowered the level in the junction pound. Presumably they don't want the lock emptied rapidly and sending a wave down to the dam? There were no staff or padlocks or signs to say the locks at the junction needed booking however. It isnt in the stoppages anymore either (the stoppage notice for bridge 223 is updated but doesnt mention booking Dukes cut anymore)...

On another note, does anyone know why they are making all the lift bridge on the south oxford hydraulic? 

8 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Had a walk down there the other day and they have lowered the level in the junction pound. Presumably they don't want the lock emptied rapidly and sending a wave down to the dam? There were no staff or padlocks or signs to say the locks at the junction needed booking however. It isnt in the stoppages anymore either (the stoppage notice for bridge 223 is updated but doesnt mention booking Dukes cut anymore)...

On another note, does anyone know why they are making all the lift bridge on the south oxford hydraulic? 

That’s super helpful Dave. I rang them an hour ago to book a passage along Dukes Cut so it will be interesting to see what they come back with…

interesting there are no notices on the locks…curious…

Just popped in my inbox;

Update on 22/03/2022:

Extension of Stoppage for Bridge 233 South Oxford Canal

Following the recent storms and significant rain, the site at Bridge 233 has suffered severe flooding. Consequently, this means the planned site works have needed to be suspended for 19 working days to respond to the immediate aftermath and challenges on site.  Although the circumstances were beyond our control, and we understand the impact the extension will have on boaters’ plans. We can confirm that following reinstallation of the dams and increased over pumping (with approx. 450l/s of pumping now available) works on site have restarted and are progressing well.

An extensive programme review has been undertaken with the contractor. Works to complete the maintenance required below water level on the site is ongoing and due to be completed on Thursday 14th April 2022. Whilst this work should allow the re-opening of the canal, some works will continue after this which may require additional short restrictions. In the event these are required we will publish specific notices with timed closures, which we should be able to limit to maximum delays of several hours to minimise further disruption to navigation.   Please be assured that, if possible, we will endeavour to improve further on the date for re-opening.

In the meantime, the diversion for boats wishing to visit central Oxford will be via Lock 44A Dukes Cut Lock, Dukes Cut to the River Thames through King’s and Godstow Locks, then through Sheepwash Channel to Isis Lock. Total distance 4 miles and 4 locks.  Please note that the published opening times for the River Thames Locks as follows: -

March 9:15am to 1pm      2pm to 4pm

April 9am to 1pm              2pm to 5pm

If your boat does not have a Gold Licence, please contact Enquiries Enquiries.londonsoutheast@canalrivertrust.org.uk who will be able to provide you with documentation to allow you to navigate this section of The Thames

For craft not wishing to Navigate the Thames but wishing to visit Oxford, there are visitor moorings at Thrupp and the S4 Bus runs hourly from the Junction on Canal Road and the Banbury Road directly into Oxford.  We will update this notice with relevant information if and when there are any changes that further affect boating customers.

Been some updates about this. Reading between the lines of the email it seems they have had too many boats coming through and winding to go back up. Why this is an issue but traffic going to or from the Thames isn't I'm not sure? When I phoned to book the manager of the contractors called back to give instructions and just said to go slowly using just 1 paddle but that I could do it when I wanted. They didn't need to know the exact time. I'm surprised, given how close the dam is to the locks, that they don't want to supervise and aren't padlocking them outside of hours. They are keen enough to do this elsewhere for water supply reasons etc...

Update. We’ve been through and we met by the engineer working in the lift bridge. The reason they are trying to restrict access is due to the risk of flooding to the dam tbey have built. He tells us it gets to critical levels very easily.

they are pumping 1,600 cubic metres (tonnes) a minute (I think he said a minute not an hour), out of there to keep the dam levels where they need to be.

Turns out the contractors agreed to operate Dukes Lock because 1) CRT said they had no staff and 2) the contractors thought it would only be the odd boat. On the day we went through we were the 5th…

I forgot to ask him what they were doing with securing the lock when they weren’t there ie padlocking or whatever? Given there is a good reason to restrict access though hopefully everyone will book properly although the CRT system for doing so seems somewhat haphazard!

There isn't even a sign explaining what to do at the lock so someone that hasn't read the online stoppage notice could come through and cause havoc. And the canal is only going to get busier as Easter approaches