Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Keep at it, persevere 

You’ll get your help 😃

But you gotta give some basics.

Have you sorted that Stop switch

Give it a pull does it move?
Give it a push does it move?
Push and pull, it ought to sit back closed, nice and neat.

Lift your boards to see the engine and see if you can trace where the cable is going to and from.

Pull and push the Stop switch to try and spot some movement. 
You should have about an inch and half movement (?)

you need to close that Stop 

Wiggle and push/pull, spray some WD40 or similar in any joints you can see it struggling with

Spray a bit down the cable. 

IF you can pull the stop switch but only get it back in as far as the position in the photo, then maybe that’s as far back in as it goes.

dunno 🤷‍♀️

But for me that’d be me starting point. 
Especially if the engine sounds like it ‘wants to start’. 

to add : and check your diesel as others have said, they 

you need to measure a couple of inches of diesel on the dip stick by the way

I will check everything you mentioned above when I get another chance to be at the boat this weekend, many thanks! Will give an update as soon as there’s a development, it’s really annoying trying to work a full time job with limited time actually getting to know the boat, hell of a learning curve thanks all for who sensibly replied. Appreciate it

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, jdoe said:

I will check everything you mentioned above when I get another chance to be at the boat this weekend, many thanks! Will give an update as soon as there’s a development, it’s really annoying trying to work a full time job with limited time actually getting to know the boat, hell of a learning curve thanks all for who sensibly replied. Appreciate it

Just make sure your battery is fully charged before cranking the engine.

35 minutes ago, john.k said:

The fuel system must be bled before the engine will start...... cranking until the battery is flat ,or the starter red hot wont help.

He’s just had the engine serviced so whoever did it should of bled the system, unless it wasn’t done properly and I doubt the OP has the experience to bleed it if required.
  With the snippets of info he has given it suggests a fuel problem. He can’t remove the fuel cap to check and dip the tank, so we wait for the next instalment once he’s visited the boat. 
  Hopefully his battery will be fully charged as not to add to the starting problem.

Seems to me that the best is to add diesel (red is cheaper here if you can get hold of it, marinas of various types and fuel boats will sell it) or just get some in a plastic can from a garage and top the diesel up, you may need a couple of cans worth. If very rapidly it doesn’t start then you maybe best to call the person who serviced your boat to talk it through. If as seems possible  you have run out of diesel then the fuel line will need getting rid of air (bleeding) we can talk you through this too. 

overall though it sounds like most who started you have a steep learning curve and the people who serviced your boat could be useful in just advising on some more of the straightforward stuff . The other option is to chat to other boaters moored nearby, most are only too happy to help out. Don’t always rely on everything they say though! 

4 hours ago, PD1964 said:

He’s just had the engine serviced so whoever did it should of bled the system, unless it wasn’t done properly and I doubt the OP has the experience to bleed it if required.

We still don't know if the engine ever started and ran after the service. Or if the OP has ever been able to start it since buying the boat. 

It would be most helpful in coming up with some relevant suggestions instead of random guesses if the OP could get hold of a computer and type out a proper history of his ownership and use of the boat and how the fault developed. Or say so if there is none, instead of this drip, drip, drip of tiny snippets of info typed on a tablet.

OP says hes got to work during the week...............worst thing about owning a boat....is you take a sickie,and everyone says Oh,hes got a boat...thats where he 'll be......and next day ,boss calls you into the office,and its ...Ah,you got a boat .......When do I get an invite?

Owns boat for 2 months and does not know if any fuel in it or how to get the fuel cap off????? This is a wind up , right?

Its like the first thing you do when you get a boat.

Edited by Mike Hurley

2 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Owns boat for 2 months and does not know if any fuel in it or how to get the fuel cap off????? This is a wind up , right?

Its like the first thing you do when get a boat.

I am inclined to agree, its a wind up.

# I hope he has had his fun now and we never hear from him again. #

The clue may be in " I was trying to start my engine the other day"  as if it has stood for a long time, must be in a marina and not CCing.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Also I can't see the image(s) people early in the topic were referring too, has he deleted it?

I think he has. There was definitely at least a photo of a tank filler cap with the hexagon socket in the cap one sometimes sees, and that seems to have gone. Also there was a pic of a Morse control and a stop pull.

44 minutes ago, MtB said:

I think he has. There was definitely at least a photo of a tank filler cap with the hexagon socket in the cap one sometimes sees, and that seems to have gone. Also there was a pic of a Morse control and a stop pull.

There is no sign of the edit he claims to have made to the OP, it would have been too late anyway.

45 minutes ago, MtB said:

Probably when he edited his post to add a few more bits of info 

53 minutes ago, MtB said:

There was another photo of two red isolator switches.

But it was the photo of the Stop pull out that got my attention. 
A very simple and obvious mistake.

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Just another time waster, disregarded.

I’m not so sure,

They’ve posted before regards having bought a boat.

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m not so sure,

They’ve posted before regards having bought a boat.

Still a time waster, as they seemed to think posting on a tablet was an acceptable reason for ignoring half the enquiries for better details.  

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Still a time waster, as they seemed to think posting on a tablet was an acceptable reason for ignoring half the enquiries for better details.  

🤷‍♀️ I’ll give them the benefit, 

until it’s known whether there’s any fuel, or that Stop can be pushed back in, then it’s pretty pointless asking anything more technical 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

🤷‍♀️ I’ll give them the benefit, 

until it’s known whether there’s any fuel, or that Stop can be pushed back in, then it’s pretty pointless asking anything more technical 

Quite right. But given some stops need to be pulled out, and others pushed in to make the engine run, the OP's reluctance to engage in a conversation made finding out pretty well impossible. 

6 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Its like the first thing you do when you get a boat.

Didn’t know what the universal key was called.

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I am inclined to agree, its a wind up.

# I hope he has had his fun now and we never hear from him again. #

The clue may be in " I was trying to start my engine the other day"  as if it has stood for a long time, must be in a marina and not CCing.

Was a project boat that got sold, it’s been stood for a while and I’m new to boating no previous experience with Diesel Lister engines or engines in general.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

These are better than the plastic ones Pump Out Key Chrome | Midland Chandlers

image.png.258ae6c60e7b4980ca6091987fa53337.png

I managed to find a brass hex one on eBay ordered and gets here during the week. I couldn’t for the life of me find the name until the bloke in this thread suggested it.

5 hours ago, MtB said:

They didn’t mean to get ignored fella I just replied to best of my simple understanding about this give me time I’ll get there in the end, picking up new phrases left right and centre due to this thread so everyone is very helpful, cheers.

The ones that weren’t replied to I couldn’t give a good enough answer to because as stated, I don’t know much as of yet.

Edited by jdoe
-
  • Greenie 1