Diesel rationing ?.... 😳

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, frangar said:

You can see those that lap up all the bbc offer! 

You seem a little obsessed.  The media frenzy was widespread across all sources, not just one.  And that's what will always happen, a perceived fuel shortage is newsworthy even if it's only perceived.  Panic buying is also newsworthy, whether it's fuel or toilet roll.  So news outlets will report it.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame the government for failing to provide adequate fuel security and infrastructure.

30 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Its Yarmouth yacht station that is closed until the end of the month Martin 

Ok. That doesnt stop transit through Yarmouth. If you time it right you can clear the bridges with no need to stop. We have always just passed straight through.

30 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

You seem a little obsessed.  The media frenzy was widespread across all sources, not just one.  And that's what will always happen, a perceived fuel shortage is newsworthy even if it's only perceived.  Panic buying is also newsworthy, whether it's fuel or toilet roll.  So news outlets will report it.

If you're going to blame anyone, blame the government for failing to provide adequate fuel security and infrastructure.

The problem though is that in that particularly case a shortage in a relatively small part of the country rapidly escalated because it was widely and repeatedly reported resulting in panic buying in other parts of the country.

The tone and presentation style has a lot to do with how the message is recieved. It was as I said earlier similar to their reporting of the pandemic. Some of it bordered on hysterical, with heavy focus on the large predicted numbers that were actually worse case scenario planning figures. Less emphasis was placed on what was the most likely scenarios. That doesn’t get clicks on your web site.

The only journalists I currently have any real respect for are the ones who expose things like govt. corruption and mismanagement and of course people like the ones on the front line in Ukraine.

Lots of jounalism now is nothing much more than copy and paste from Twitter or Facebook.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Its Yarmouth yacht station that is closed until the end of the month Martin 

You have picked a good week by the look of it. Lovely here today

49 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Fuel at Brooms yard in Brundall is being sold at £1.90 per litres :blink:

I don't expect they will be selling loads at that price!

The Broads has always been a ripoff for fuel and most other things. Before all the 60/40 stuff they sold red just a couple of pence cheaper than white. The Wherry Hotel was charging £10 a night to moor, but if you had a meal there they reduced it to a fiver.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The Broads has always been a ripoff for fuel and most other things. Before all the 60/40 stuff they sold red just a couple of pence cheaper than white. The Wherry Hotel was charging £10 a night to moor, but if you had a meal there they reduced it to a fiver.

A whole meal for a fiver. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We never really found diesel on the Broads to be overly expensive when we had to refill NC on there. Barnes Brinkcraft were usually the cheapest, failing that Goodchilds if we had enough in the tank to get there.

RNSYC was expensive for fuel the one time we had little choice but to refill there!

Most of the pubs with their own moorings charge for overnight stays on the Broads reduced if you eat in the pub. That isn't uncommon!

45 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We have had great weather, currently at the Bridge inn at Acle, we have walked on the Weaver way with the dogs  bought the most expensive sausages in the world from the butchers in the village! Later it's a dinner in the Inn to pay for our moorings. Had a pre walk pint of Broaside in the pub which in this heat was needed 

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably a Ukranian registered boat ?

That's a good spot.

It could be an ex-Summercraft boat sold to Richardson's after the downsize, they were all that colour scheme. 

Glitter Girl and Grand Girl

Glitter Girl.JPG

Grand Girl.JPG

8 hours ago, Boat afloat said:

Does anyone have any real-life experience of finding diesel on the canal network right now? We are due to set off from Oxford to the Leeds Liverpool in the next week and am starting to get anxious of fuel shortage issues.

We have about 40% of a tank...which I presume would be a 200 litre tank? It's a long way so will definitely need more but are we going to find it an issue maybe?

Can anyone recommend a reliable way of tracking fuel boats and their movements? I've being doing some research but it seems a touch hit and miss though.

Rick Cooper on fuel boat Auriga is still doing his normal rounds on the North Oxford, Coventry and Trent &  Mersey canals. He went past me this morning. 

No idea of his current price though. He has a Facebook page and a presence on the Alvecote Marina website.

https://www.alvecotemarina.co.uk/canal-carrying/gravenor-boating-co/

• Love 1

3 hours ago, frangar said:

You think the media creating a frenzy wasn’t part of the problem?? 

Strange, most of the 'frenzy' reporting I've seen has been under the Mail or Express banners. 

18 hours ago, peterboat said:

The MG estate car seems a good bet as it has a much longer range, of course its getting hold of one nowadays. The Model S is a big car, I looked at them but Jayne couldn't park one at work so we went for the I3, then of course her work handed the car park back! I would still have the model S as we have superchargers for them very close and a lot of them were sold with free supercharging for life.

Didn't 1930s Bentley  racing cars have Superchargers?  A means of forcing more fuel/air mixture into the cylinders to make them go faster. Were they belt driven off the fan belt or something? Different to a turbocharger.

53 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Didn't 1930s Bentley  racing cars have Superchargers?  A means of forcing more fuel/air mixture into the cylinders to make them go faster. Were they belt driven off the fan belt or something? Different to a turbocharger.

Yes, commonly known as the blower 

56 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

And not confined to those. Common on drag racers, some road and rally cars and of course aircraft engines.

1 hour ago, Alway Swilby said:

Didn't 1930s Bentley  racing cars have Superchargers?  A means of forcing more fuel/air mixture into the cylinders to make them go faster. Were they belt driven off the fan belt or something? Different to a tuorbocharger.

Superchargers are mechanically driven by the engine whilst turbochargers are driven by exhaust gases. Some engines have both. Turbochargers tend to suffer from lag.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Presumably a Ukranian registered boat ?

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

That's a good spot.

It could be an ex-Summercraft boat sold to Richardson's after the downsize, they were all that colour scheme. 

Glitter Girl and Grand Girl

Glitter Girl.JPG

Grand Girl.JPG

Well spotted Alan top prize, no Martin the boat is called Melody 1 and only had a sunroof, it's a six berth, but in reality is ideal for 2 plus 2 dogs, the engine is to the left at the stern and it's a full hydraulic box. Its quiet but not as quiet as my electric boat, I will take a picture of her tomorrow, it amused us that she was in Ukraine colours as well. 

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, cuthound said:

Rick Cooper on fuel boat Auriga is still doing his normal rounds on the North Oxford, Coventry and Trent &  Mersey canals. He went past me this morning. 

No idea of his current price though. He has a Facebook page and a presence on the Alvecote Marina website.

Just heard from him and he is getting diesel OK but the price is going up.

13 hours ago, cuthound said:

That’s top stuff - thanks for posting that up!! We’ll get in touch because that’s exactly our early route!!

Edited by Boat afloat