Thetford cassette fix

Ewan123

Featured Posts

We've got a Thetford C200 and one of our cassettes has become problematic. The blade doesn't get pushed up to meet the seal when closing it (no problem with the seal itself). It just stays down, all loose and useless.

I can't figure out why - has anyone experienced this/ can anyone offer advice please?

26 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

We've got a Thetford C200 and one of our cassettes has become problematic. The blade doesn't get pushed up to meet the seal when closing it (no problem with the seal itself). It just stays down, all loose and useless.

I can't figure out why - has anyone experienced this/ can anyone offer advice please?

It sounds like the blade is internally seperating from the operating knob.

They are fastened together inside the casseette with a plastic white clip.

Your starting point is to remove the seal after removing the retaining screws. That may give you a better idea about what is going on.

You can still buy the bits I think from Thetford or most caravan dealers should have them.

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It sounds like the blade is internally seperating from the operating knob.

They are fastened together inside the casseette with a plastic white clip.

Your starting point is to remove the seal after removing the retaining screws. That may give you a better idea about what is going on.

You can still buy the bits I think from Thetford or most caravan dealers should have them.

I did take the seal off and have a feel/look around but I couldn't tell what should/shouldn't be as it was...

So is it something on the underside of the knob that you turn to open/close that does the pushing up?

8 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

I did take the seal off and have a feel/look around but I couldn't tell what should/shouldn't be as it was...

So is it something on the underside of the knob that you turn to open/close that does the pushing up?

Its held on with this.

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan/motorhome/spares/toilets/C200/toilet/blade-opener/

I dont think anything pushes it up as such its just the tension in the blade that causes it to hold tightly to the seal.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

A bit more.

If you look at this diagram you can see the mechanism. It has an arm that actuates it.

Screenshot_20220312-145714_Chrome.jpg

Ah I understand, thanks. I'll have another feel around...

1 hour ago, Mike Hurley said:

There is a video on the site, shows how to do it and how it all works, worth a look.

Thanks! Link in case someone else stumbles on this in future: https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/toilets/cassette-toilets/c200-cs-no-longer-available

21 minutes ago, Ewan123 said:

Ah I understand, thanks. I'll have another feel around...

If you watch the video ref. the actual repair there is actually what looks like a curved rail that the tip of the arm rides on, not as I originally understood. It looks like this pushes it up to the seal as it rotates. You can see it in the video thumb nail. Just to add of course the cassette doesnt come apart like that, you have to do everythìng by feel working blind.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

24 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you watch the video ref. the actual repair there is actually what looks like a curved rail that the tip of the arm rides on, not as I originally understood. It looks like this pushes it up to the seal as it rotates. You can see it in the video thumb nail. Just to add of course the cassette doesnt come apart like that, you have to do everythìng by feel working blind.

Hmm I think I see what you mean. Well, when the cassette's empty tomorrow I'll have a play around and see what I find.

Pretty sure I've found the problem - there should be a little nubbin on the bottom of the blade that extends down below hole which it slots into. Said nubbin then rides along and up the little ramp to push the bade upwards at the end of the movement. This nubbin has snapped off, so new blade ordered. 

image.png.ab613150cc12d09cb8478f2b4c66fac4.png

image.png.27ddeb4fc8a6e66ac1e1ea221e570e74.png

Who knew a cassette could be so exciting!?

• Greenie 2