confused about VAT

aristorias

Featured Posts

When i looked into getting a boat built in 1999. Roger Fuller stated that if i bought one from him I would not pay VAT as he did not do enough business to be VAT rated and i was only buying parts which already had VAT on

5 hours ago, MtB said:

Translation:

"I've already done a forum search and can't find any verifiable examples"

:giggles:

Quite the opposite I have links to them saved in 'favourites', each time you go into anti-paperwork mode I post links to them and each time you say 'just an isolated example'.

Assuming you have read my repiles to your previous posts you have already seen them

Here is one of your previous responses, to a seller .................

Just take it off to another broker and start again. It's not as though there is no choice! 

Who commissioned and paid for this idiot survey anyway?

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

When i looked into getting a boat built in 1999. Roger Fuller stated that if i bought one from him I would not pay VAT as he did not do enough business to be VAT rated and i was only buying parts which already had VAT on

A bit like people who do self fitouts, no vat on their labour but they paid vat on all the stuff they bought

Salty water boaters are concerned about proof of VAT since their boats may be traded internationally. Or if travelling abroad  in your own oat you need proof of VAT on board.

Narrowboats are a UK specific boat so unlikely to be taken abroad . So less concern about proof of VAT paid.

On 12/03/2022 at 11:37, aristorias said:

I believe Pat Buckle and another firm was at one time involved in building the hulls which were then fitted out by Eastern Caravans as some of their skills were transferable to boats.

Thanks again for the comments.

Our first boat in 2000 was a Floating Homes shell fitted out by Eastern Caravans & Narrowboats. In those days they had only just moved into narrowboats, and we discovered on delivery that they had forgotten to fit a bilge pump.

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Our first boat in 2000 was a Floating Homes shell fitted out by Eastern Caravans & Narrowboats. In those days they had only just moved into narrowboats, and we discovered on delivery that they had forgotten to fit a bilge pump.

Bilge pumps are over rated in my opinion. Second narrowboat we had was 16 years old when we sold it without a bilge pump.

To be fair, all the boats I have looked at over the years very few (in fact I can't remember any) had all the paperwork and in some cases, any paperwork at all. I have never been chased down the towpath by HMRC waving bits of paper at me shouting, "come back and pay this VAT at once you naughty person". As long as the seller can show they actually own the boat they are selling, or are acting as agents for the owner, I sincerely doubt there would be any come-back.

Edited by manxmike
excess wordage