Too late to the party?

Bubblebuster

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

Where is a permanent mooring?

Most would regard those offered by CRT as 'permanent', along with those offered by boatyards, marinas and occasionally canalside pubs - as long as you keep paying.

For someone approaching an age where good health and mobility can't be guaranteed any of these would be a good option in case regular travel becomes difficult.

11 minutes ago, BWM said:

Most would regard those offered by CRT as 'permanent', along with those offered by boatyards, marinas and occasionally canalside pubs - as long as you keep paying.

For someone approaching an age where good health and mobility can't be guaranteed any of these would be a good option in case regular travel becomes difficult.

I think the point may have been related to the Mon & Brec where moorings are in short supply - particularly any with 'services'

Canal boat moorings - Monmouthshire & Brecon canal near Abergavenny (robertsfarmmoorings.co.uk)

Berths at our site are usually let for periods of 12 months, and are let to customers that use their vessels for private leisure purposes. Prices for moorings can be provided on request, depending on the size of boat.

C&RT only have 43 moorings on the Mon & Brec with no vacancies

As far as I know there are only two marinas offering moorings : Cambrian Marina and Herons Rest Marina.

• Greenie 3

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

My concern was not boating but where they intend to do it. Not much more than an elongated lake. I am not sure they would even find a residential mooring on there. It has a history of closures for long periods as well.

I have cruised the Mon and Brec three times, from Goytre Wharf to Brecon and then south as far as the weed choked lagoons would allow.  I assume from your comment that the entire length as far as the flight of five locks in the north has been dry on more than one occasion.  That would not be a pleasant experience. 

Lovely as that canal is, any mooring on much of its length will never see much in the way of sunshine in view that the canal is located on a largely north east facing slope of the steep hills and in almost continual shade. 

As suggested in another post, after the initial thrill of staying on a boat has blended into familiarity you would be better off in a caravan near the canal, perhaps with a small boat to use for day trips when the Welsh weather allows.

• Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think the point may have been related to the Mon & Brec where moorings are in short supply - particularly any with 'services'

Canal boat moorings - Monmouthshire & Brecon canal near Abergavenny (robertsfarmmoorings.co.uk)

Berths at our site are usually let for periods of 12 months, and are let to customers that use their vessels for private leisure purposes. Prices for moorings can be provided on request, depending on the size of boat.

C&RT only have 43 moorings on the Mon & Brec with no vacancies

As far as I know there are only two marinas offering moorings : Cambrian Marina and Herons Rest Marina.

Thanks for the local info, it's not an area i'm familiar with but based the comment on what's generally available elsewhere on the system. Was difficult to ascertain from the one short remark what was meant.

41 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I have cruised the Mon and Brec three times, from Goytre Wharf to Brecon and then south as far as the weed choked lagoons would allow.  I assume from your comment that the entire length as far as the flight of five locks in the north has been dry on more than one occasion.  That would not be a pleasant experience. 

Lovely as that canal is, any mooring on much of its length will never see much in the way of sunshine in view that the canal is located on a largely north east facing slope of the steep hills and in almost continual shade. 

As suggested in another post, after the initial thrill of staying on a boat has blended into familiarity you would be better off in a caravan near the canal, perhaps with a small boat to use for day trips when the Welsh weather allows.

Beautiful sunny day here in Wales again today. Off tut beach with the dog soon.

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

Mon & Brec closed (narrowboatworld.com)      2020

Bridge 46 finally open to navigation after 3 year closure – MBACTrust   2021

Mon & Brec embankment - a potential threat to life | London Boaters   2018

Rain damage shuts Mon & Brec | Canal Boat       2014

5 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

In 2005 we were looking at buying a hire company on the Mon & Brec, on going thru the company accountswe noticed that (I think) 2 years previously they had zero income but the following year a huge one-off payment.

Turned out that the M&B had breached and all business had lost a full years trade, they subsequently received a payment from C&RT for the equivalent of the profit from the previous full years trading.

Looking backwards it was not an unique failing and subesequently (as you have shown) there are major interuptions to navigation on a regular basis.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In 2005 we were looking at buying a hire company on the Mon & Brec, on going thru the company accountswe noticed that (I think) 2 years previously they had zero income but the following year a huge one-off payment.

Turned out that the M&B had breached and all business had lost a full years trade, they subsequently received a payment from C&RT for the equivalent of the profit from the previous full years trading.

Looking backwards it was not an unique failing and subesequently (as you have shown) there are major interuptions to navigation on a regular basis.

Astounding, given CRT only came into existence in 2012.