Mastervolt Combimaster/generator.

Callum4878

Featured Posts

So that is an inverter charger not a generator but it has a pass through capability.

As most shore supplies are 16 Amps it looks like it will be fine as a charger but since the pass through can be 25Amps you would need to be careful what loads you have running at the same time. I don't know if this model could use battery power via the inverter to meet any shorrtfall.

Specifications battery charger

Input voltage range 170-280 V
Max. input current 13 A (adjustable)
Max. charge current at 40 °C / 104 °F 60 A at 28.5 V (configurable)
Battery temperature sensor yes, included
Battery voltage sense automatic compensation

Specifications transfer system

AC input 25 A (switched)
AC output 38 A
AC input fuse yes
Transfer speed 10 ms
Transfer voltage range wide: 90–280 V / narrow: 170–280 V
Transfer frequency range 40-65 Hz

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

That is a fair point and better to highlight it, but I was replying to him saying 'using a honda genny'.

When someone has a limited knowledge of the subject it is far better to assume they know nothing and, if necessary, "teach Grandma to suck eggs"

Thank you for highlighting it.

Yes. You don’t really need to put the Combi into charger only mode, although it won’t hurt. The Combi will automatically be in charger mode when the shore power /genny is on, and go to inverter mode when the genny stops.

The only consideration is that incoming shore power has an earth and the neutral is connected to earth. Without this, an RCD on the boat won’t trip in the event of an electrical fault. You would need to investigate the generator specifics. Some generators might already have neutral and earth connected, some might be symmetrical (ie neutral and live are the same, each one 1/2 the voltage away from earth) and some are fully floating. For the last type it would be advisable to connect neutral and earth together in the cable (which would then have to be only used with the genny, not with shore power). If you don’t, any RCD breakers on the boat won’t work properly.

FYI when the Mastervolt works as an inverter, it connects earth and neutral together automatically, but when it is getting external power it assumes this already has the “NE bond” and removes what it thinks would be an additional connection to stop a shore bollard from tripping.

1 hour ago, Callum4878 said:

Input blue plugs, yes, I have one fore and aft

I trust you also have a switch which determines which input plug is connected to the boat's electrics. Otherwise the pins on the inlet not connected to the shoreline/genny will be live and touchable.

Hi David, yes have auto changeover of the two inputs, thanks for the observation though.

Thanks Nick, was pretty sure that was the case with the Mastervolt, I’ll look into the earthing arrangements before connection.

I was considering a built in diesel genny, and still may go that route, as I have space for one in my engine room, it’s just the price difference that’s a bit heavy.

Thanks to all for the responses.

Keith

21 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

I was considering a built in diesel genny

It would be ten million times better AND no lugging of the generator off the boat, down the towpath, and then back again.

A Honda 30iS inverter generator weighs in at around 135lbs, and, the Honda 30i (2600w) weighs about 80lbs -  neither are a 'one man job' to lift on and off a boat.

YOU DO KNOW YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO RUN A MOBILE GENERATOR ON BOARD  don't you ?

The Honda would definitely be off boat, and the diesel fully installed inboard. Diesel as you say the far better option, been looking at Fischer Panda, but think I’ve a few options, 4/5KW would be a nice substitute for shoreline, and save from running the old lady just to charge batteries!

My other half says go diesel, but I’m just tight I think.

Amybody running that size of inboard genny?

Just a thought, have you got any solar PV?

500watts of solar panels will keep your batteries charged 8-9 months of the year.

Saves buying and running a genset.

If however you use lots of high current items this may not follow.

Have 500W and planning on adding another 100W, which does quite well, in summer I can go 3/4 days without running, but my batteries (3x210Ah AGM’s are over 7 years old now, so probably showing signs of deterioration, and are on my shopping list to change also. My thinking is, good batteries, solar and generator and I’m bombproof!

2 hours ago, Callum4878 said:

The Honda would definitely be off boat, and the diesel fully installed inboard. Diesel as you say the far better option, been looking at Fischer Panda, but think I’ve a few options, 4/5KW would be a nice substitute for shoreline, and save from running the old lady just to charge batteries!

My other half says go diesel, but I’m just tight I think.

Amybody running that size of inboard genny?

I've got a Paguro 4000 (4 kva, 3.5kw) cocooned  built in generator. For me it's ldeal though I know I'll be shouted down by solar fans. 

Edited by Slim
Output amended

My previous boat had a mastervolt whisper 3500 installed with watercooled exhaust - to say it was noisy on board with it running would be generous. "whisper"? lol - marketing at work.

Outside it was fairly quiet, but inside. Eek! The noise of these things is definitely something to consider - you will save annoying the neighbours, nothing to lug about, but they are not the perfect answer. For example my Beta 43 is much quieter both inside and outside the boat. If I had to listen to it for hours on end it would send me round the bend... but it did it's job.

mastervolt_3.5_generator.jpg

2 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

Had the Paguro long, has it done much work? You’re obviously happy with it. I’ll do some research on the various choices, but that’s the size and type I’ll be looking for. How do they sound from outside?

Go for a 1500rpm model DO NOT go for a 3000rpm model

The difference in noise levels and vibration are huge.

I was on a boat with a 3000rpm genny and it was unpleasent. The 1500RPM genny are a bit more expensive but it is the difference beween a 'dream and a nightmare'.

Example :

Whisper Power M-SQ6 5.7Kw super quiet generator 1500rpm - Sailfish Marine - Watermakers, Marine Generators, Solar Panels and more..

20 minutes ago, Callum4878 said:

Had the Paguro long, has it done much work? You’re obviously happy with it. I’ll do some research on the various choices, but that’s the size and type I’ll be looking for. How do they sound from outside?

Note amended previous post.

Current one has only done about 500 hours in 5 years. Previous one did about 4000 hours when the starter motor had a major issue which dropped some debris into the alternator windings. It was almost às cheap to replace as repair (direct drop in)

As for noise I would say on a par with the main engine.