Best route t’norf.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Personally I prefer the Shroppie to the T&M, less locks.  However if you don’t want to go through Birmingham, presumably you will go North Oxford, Cov to Fradley, so perhaps you may as well continue up the T&M rather than down (well up actually) the S&W to get to the Shroppie.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, junior said:

The Shroppie is very isolated. Once you leave Wolverhampton which is nothing to write home about, your next proper town is Nantwich. I appreciate there's Market Drayton, but I've moored overnight there numerous times and never found the town!

Good thing about the T&M is there's a convenient canal side town almost every night. Stone, Stoke (Etruria), Red Bull, Wheelock, Middlewich, Barnton/Northwich, Lymm etc....

Well I would agree with you in many respects, but to say you've never found the town of Mkt Drayton?! So sad.

But I'm sure you're not one of those who tie up leaving gaps so us deep boats struggle, and then just get your chair out. 

It's just up the road, and may have seen more prosperous days, but still full of individual traders and great pubs.

Nice little country town and a great street market.

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I hate that ruddy tunnel.

I know its not the narrowest or lowest but the constantly changing roof profile I found very disorientating. Its the only tunnel I ever hit the cabin front on. And tore our canopy in the process. (Should have dropped it before entering).

I would happily do the 'more locks route' and avoid it.

I've caught a nav light everything I've gone through it.  I think there are magnets let into the side of it. 

The Shroppie is very isolated. Once you leave Wolverhampton which is nothing to write home about, your next proper town is Nantwich. I appreciate there's Market Drayton, but I've moored overnight there numerous times and never found the town!

Good thing about the T&M is there's a convenient canal side town almost every night. Stone, Stoke (Etruria), Red Bull, Wheelock, Middlewich, Barnton/Northwich, Lymm etc....

Having broken down for a week there I saw a fair amount of the town. Can't say I had any difficulty finding it.

You've never found the town? Its about 10 minutes walk (max) from the Newcastle Road Bridge or from Betton Bridge

image.png.ce9753b871923daa7d701ca00d1cf29f.png

Edited by StephenA

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I must take issue with your thread title. You are coming north, so it should be "best route to t'north". (Which is the T&M, by the way - what self-respecting canal boater worries about locks?)

They dont say "best route to t'north" near me . The o in to is a vowel too many and almost unpronouncable. 

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

If I was doing that trip I'd go down the Trent. No tunnels there! 

There's a new group on Facebook trying to encourage people to try this lovely river - called Trentlink.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/666937220961360

There will be a website shortly (I have just bought  a domain name)

• Greenie 1

On 10/03/2022 at 17:14, Goliath said:

Not done Brum!!

Not done Brum!!

it possibly the best part of the system.  

😃

yes do it on the return journey 👍

Recommend the Curly Wyrley - a bit weedy but some great quiet stretches and pubs

and take the old line not the new.

• Greenie 1