Can't access CWDF.

Featured Posts

I've not been able to access CWDF on Firefox today. Have there been any changes that could cause this?

I get "The connection has timed out" errors. This happens on two different computers. Firefox version 91.6.0esr on Raspberry Pi OS (Debian Buster 32 bit) and on Firefox version 97.0.1 (64 bit) on Windows 10. 

I can see and use CWDF fine on a Chrome browser on the Raspberry Pi (posting this) and a Safari browser on iOS, on the same 4G connection, so it seems to be a Firefox problem, rather than a wifi, or 4G problem. No issues with seeing any other web sites on either Firefox installation. Just CWDF.

I have disabled the Privacy Badger (anti tracking) and Ublock Origin (ad blocker) add ons in Firefox for CWDF and this makes no difference. Have restarted the browser and rebooted the Raspberry Pi. No effect.

Anything changed overnight that could cause this?

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

I use Firefox and have had problems  today - but it appeared to me to be more of a system problem. Whatever it was it has gone away now - due, I suspect to 'our' excellent management team???

2 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

CWDF just came back for me on Firefox, with which I'm posting this. Did a reboot of the router. Coincidence, or not? No idea!

I've had intermittent issues all day, sometimes apparently fixed by router reboot, different DNS server, clearing caches. So far they have kept coming back.

• Greenie 1

It appears the issue was due to the domain name registration needing renewing! Some browsers/devices will have cached the required IP address for a while and hence continue to work while others do not. 

A little embarrassing, but otherwise a easy fix, which should propitiate round in the next few hours having just put another £11 in the meter for that. 

Thanks

Daniel

1 minute ago, DHutch said:

It appears the issue was due to the domain name registration needing renewing! Some browsers/devices will have cached the required IP address for a while and hence continue to work while others do not. 

A little embarrassing, but otherwise a easy fix, which should propitiate round in the next few hours having just put another £11 in the meter for that. 

Thanks

Daniel

I assumed it was that when I got the message that the name was available for sale.

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Thought we had been hacked by Russia 

Fortunately not yet!

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I assumed it was that when I got the message that the name was available for sale.

Fortunately it was on retainer, but yes, it was that.

The domain was on automatic renewal, but this apparently couldn't take the required funds it needed, so fell over regardless.

And for some reason the reminder messages didn't reach myself or Rich.

Thanks

Daniel

A possible explanation for why I fingered Firefox for being the source of my problem seeing CWDF yesterday. The Firefox installs on my windows laptop and my Raspberry Pi are set up to use HTTPS for domain name resolution. This sends the domain name request to a different server than that used by the other browsers on IT kit available to me that I tried. Presumably the domain name server Firefox was using had picked up on CWDF domain name being expired earlier than the other servers around. 

13 hours ago, DHutch said:

A little embarrassing, but otherwise a easy fix,

Never mind. Exactly the same thing happened to Microsoft a few years ago. FAR more embarrassing! 

Especially as the day was saved by a Microsoft employee dipping his hand in his own pocket to pay the renewal fee to get them back on line quicker than trying to raise intelligent life in the accounts dept. 

I'm relieved to find that it wasn't just me. On my computer, CWDF disappeared on Tuesday evening, then came back briefly, but was off all day yesterday and first thing this morning. Normal service resumed about 8.15 this morning.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Never mind. Exactly the same thing happened to Microsoft a few years ago. FAR more embarrassing!

And to facebook - made particularly entertaining as they had designed and built their own swipe card access system built around facebook so they managed to (physically) lock themselves out of their own datacentres!

Thanks Admin team - appreciated

2 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

And to facebook - made particularly entertaining as they had designed and built their own swipe card access system built around facebook so they managed to (physically) lock themselves out of their own datacentres!

Ah now that was slightly different. To renew an expired domain name one doesn't need access to one's data centre. The FB thing was something to do with needing to manually reboot a server, which was controlling the swipe card access system, IIRC...

ISTR resourceful staff removing a glass panel from a window, or something like that.

On 10/03/2022 at 09:12, MtB said:

Ah now that was slightly different. To renew an expired domain name one doesn't need access to one's data centre. The FB thing was something to do with needing to manually reboot a server, which was controlling the swipe card access system, IIRC...

ISTR resourceful staff removing a glass panel from a window, or something like that.

Facebook was a failure of the internal domain so internal devices couldn't see outside to resolve the IP address of access control etc (Domain names are hierarchical so if you can't resolve canalworld.net you can't resolve (at least by default) access_control.canalworld.net)

Yes, they had to break into their own datacentre to manually hack the IP address for a server to allow IT back online to fix the actual problem!