Webasto Evo Top Thermo 4 software adjustments

Andy Br

Featured Posts

Hello,

Does anybody know if it's possible to adjust the software settings of a Webasto?

I have just finished installing a new Webasto Thermo Top Evo 4 (4kw) in my boat connected to 3 radiators and calorifier.

It is a direct replacement for an old noisy Eberspacher d5w (5kw). It became apparent that the Eber was too big for the install, constantly cycling on and off.

I have fired up the Webasto and it works great and it's so much quieter.

However I have now realised that,  having bought an automotive version, it is timed to cut off after 1 hour. It also seems that the water output is not as hot as the old Eberspacher. I was told by a dealer that the output difference of a 4 and 5kw heater would be barely noticeable.

Just wondering if it is possible to adjust the settings to make it into a "Marine" version, either by myself or by a dealer.

I have a computer interface and software on order.

Thanks! 

• Greenie 1

More importantly - Did you use an automotive or a marine exhaust system ?

I think from postings by a member who was a Webby dealer, that it needs to go to a Webby dealer / service centre to have the unit connected up to their computer and reprogramme the electronics.

The automotive one is also programmed with a different set of acceptable voltages. A vehicle battery is always at around 95% plus state of charge, (12.7v) whilst a domestic boat battery could be as low as 50% charged (12.2v) - or lower. An automotive webby does not like voltages that low, particularly as when starting it will drag the voltage down to 11 something and then switch off. The automotive ones are programmed to stop the battery voltage going so low that the engine cannot be started.

With regard to water temperature it should not make any difference irrespective of it being 4kw or 5kw, it will simply be whatever the unit has been programmed to achieve, but, it will take ~20% longer to achieve the same temperature with a 4Kw unit.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Hi,  thanks for your reply, yes I bought a sealed marine exhaust/silencer. The car one will be on eBay soon! 

I also wondered about the voltages but the book says 10-16 volts- possibly that's a generic figure and mine will be programmed to cut out sooner. 

Sounds like I need to parcel it up and find a dealer! 

cheers,

Andy

2 minutes ago, Andy Br said:

Hi,  thanks for your reply, yes I bought a sealed marine exhaust/silencer. The car one will be on eBay soon! 

I also wondered about the voltages but the book says 10-16 volts- possibly that's a generic figure and mine will be programmed to cut out sooner. 

Sounds like I need to parcel it up and find a dealer! 

cheers,

Andy

It will cost you more than the price difference between the marine and the auto one.

I have thought about making a 14v battery to overcome this problem.

On 09/03/2022 at 10:07, Tracy D'arth said:

It will cost you more than the price difference between the marine and the auto one.

I have thought about making a 14v battery to overcome this problem.

Hmmm thanks for that. I will email some dealers and see what they say.