Kennet & Avon in July how will it be?

FiFiW

Featured Posts

We have booked a week hiring from Foxhangers in July and I’m a bit worried about some of the things I have been hearing about this canal.  I thought I’d been smart by booking from a hirer just after Caen Hill locks  so a fairly easy run through to Bristol from there.  I’m just wondering how it will be in reality at that time of year.  I hear about lack of moorings, shallow moorings so I’m wondering if we will have to do shorter days to be able to get a mooring where we want to stop, Bradford Upon Avon, Bath, Bristol.  We had a holiday like that a several years ago and to get a pub dinner we found we were having to end the day to get a mooring by mid afternoon to get in & sometimes you just couldn’t get near or tow paths further down weren’t good enough for you to walk back -so disappointing when you think you are getting a night off the cooking only to have to push on, I do like a nice balance of pub & cook onboard across the week.  I chose Kennet & Avon as my late dad was heavily interested in the restoration of this canal back in the day but never got to actually get on it himself so I thought it would be a nice canal to do .  I’ve boated all my life so pretty experienced just don’t own one myself - yet!  I was hoping to stop first night at the Barge Inn at Seend but I think I will have plenty of company in that choice of first stop - hopefully not needing much of a handover we will get away sharpish (fingers crossed).  Any advice very welcome!

Whilst it is possible to get to Bristol and back in a weeks holiday, its more route march than holiday. Bimble along and enjoy the journey, its not a dash to get mileage in. Finding a mooring after 1pm gets worse and worse as the day goes on, but you will always find somewhere to pull in. If twer me I would do the flight and head east, fab run that way, the flight is a doddle.

• Greenie 1

K and A will be very busy with hire boats at this time.

All the favourite places are often full of live aboards.

The river trip is around 8 hrs from Bath bottom lock, from Bath to Bristol it is almost impossible to  Moor now as the few pontoons are usually full.

The river trip is great but check with the Neatham lock keeper for any restrictions.

The harbour festival is on for which you will need to prebook. 

The best mooring in the harbour is opposite the sea great Britain. 

Also expect delays at Bradford on Avon lock Friday, Saturday and Sunday. At peek times now can be a couple of hours! 

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I would do the flight and head east, fab run that way, the flight is a doddle.

A good suggestion, as the canal Eastwards is attractive. Whether it has easier mooring I don't know.

Wait at the bottom of the floight (as it's known in those parts) for a "lock-pal", with two crews working the locks your ascent should be fairly quick; just don't count the locks or you may be discouraged!

During Summer personally I set off about 5am. Sun is up and have 4-5 hrs cruise with little to no 'traffic'.

Come 11-12 others are finally on the move & usually have pick of moorings [CM's permitting.]

Eastwood along long pound lovely.

• Greenie 1

I think for a weeks hire, going to Bath and back would be more of a holiday. I agree that heading east up the flight gets you onto a nice section of the canal with some very rural and pretty sections. There are live aboards in that section, but they cluster around bridges where they can park their cars! However going up and coming back down the flight will cost you 2 days of your week...that's if you do all 29 wide locks in one go. It requires energetic crew to do it in a day.

I went west from Bradford on Avon last June and the towpath was pretty much solid with moored boats all the way to the Avoncliff aquaduct. It can be shallow at the sides but it's generally not a problem with a gangplank, and you can always find somewhere to moor. 

We were in Bath heading towards Bristol last summer.

Much of what was said is what we found, on the canal. However, after the canal (on the river) there are places where few other hirers and liveaboards moor. In Bath, on the river below the Bath lock (i.e., in the centre near the train station) there was usually space, you just need to climb a ladder to get off (probably why people don't moor there, but it's right in the centre).

Around Saltford, near the yacht club, we found a few  good spots There are some "no mooring" signs (because of a dispute with residents), but look carefully and you'll find permissible spots near a road within walking distance of pubs.

The biggest problem is that there are stretches after Saltford on your way to Bristol where the pontoons will probably be taken, and amongst the reserved "fishing spots" there are only a few unused "wild" mooring spots with a steep climb up a bank (doable, but not ideal).

It's a mixed bag, but not a complete disaster.

On 08/03/2022 at 19:51, FiFiW said:

We have booked a week hiring from Foxhangers in July and I’m a bit worried about some of the things I have been hearing about this canal.  I thought I’d been smart by booking from a hirer just after Caen Hill locks  so a fairly easy run through to Bristol from there.

I'd suggest it IS an easy run if your goal is to get to Bristol and back provided you focus on that, but if you are also expecting to have an easy cruise there mooring up close to pubs every evening, eating out, doing a bit of shopping, look at the tourist attractions etc, I think you'll run out of time. 

Thanks all!  Some really helpful advice - I will have a look at East K&A but I suppose all the obvious attractions of West end sent me off in that direction when planning.  I’m not perturbed at all by live aboards - variety colours the landscape and makes for a more interesting waterway.  I can deal with criticism too being on a hire boat, we’ve had that in the past but I’ve generally got more canal cruising experience than most of them anyway so I always have that up my sleeve if they rattle me too much & I would never not slow down past moored boats - I enjoy nosing at the boats as I pass.  We don’t plan to shop other than groceries or eat out every night, just 2 or 3 times to add variety to our evenings.  We love the cruising, the landscape and the pace of life mostly but for our teens to break it up with a few built up areas in-between made this section a good choice.  Caen Hill locks at the start and end of the holiday might be a bit much so I think I’ve made my bed to be honest ….

I've gleaned some useful advice for this thread too. This summer we are going from Bristol to Reading. We'd like to stop off at the hotspots like Bath, Bradford on Avon etc, but it's not essential for us. It was hard enough finding moorings when we last did it 20 years ago so it's obviously going to be far worse this time. So after leaving Bristol heading east we will just keep going until we find a mooring. At least it's daylight until 10pm!

Foxhangers to Bristol and back in a week is doable, but be prepared (as on any other busy waterway in summer) that you won't be able to moor outside a good pub just as it gets dark. Assuming you start Saturday I'd suggest somewhere near Bradford Sunday night. On the river in Bath Monday night, Bristol Floating Harbour Tuesday night, Bath Wednesday, Hilperton ish (towards Foxhangers from Bradford) Thursday. You'll be able to moor - I moor at Dundas and see holiday makers moor near Limpley Stoke at 7-8pm even in July. 

If you're a hirer it's probably not that different to doing the Llangollen or the Four Counties in summer. Popular moorings get full everywhere. Big difference on the K&A is that moorings are busy all year round. 

14 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Bath is better than Bristol, more intersting. Other than the floating harbour and the suspension bridge its just another busy town.

Bristol is a city like no other and its very easy (though expensive) to spend a couple of weeks there exploring. The OP wont have that option but just might have enough time to walk the full loop round the harbour.

As others have said, Bath to Bristol is easy in a full day (including the Bath locks if necessary) but assume there is nowhere to stop for lunch, and if there is a spot then that's a bonus. The "Western End" is very busy but also very attractive. BoA to Bath in particular is a lovely bit of canal but can be slow going. It helps to view the moored parts as part of the character of the K&A rather than getting upset by them.

On a calm sunny day the river from Bath to Bristol is at least as good as the best bits of the Thames, though the final semi tidal bit is not quite as pretty.

In Bristol I prefer to moor on the pontoons in St Argustines reach, right in the middle of the nightlife action but still separate from it.

Hi

we did the K&A last year  from Aldermaston  going west  and as some have said mooring was not good  we had to go passed our normal stopping times  every day until we found a place to moor up

There was miles and miles of what looked like homeless  people on floating  ( just ) wrecked  boats

Having said that we did enjoy  every minute  of the two weeks holiday 👍😀

Graham

The trip itself will not be too taxing; 74 miles, 42 locks; 116 lock miles = 19LM per day average. That is based on 6 days, because you will lose half of the first and last days. Perfectly OK for a competent crew; more range than some boats manage in a year, but let's not go there! We cruised the K & A from Reading to Hanham Lock and back in August, a few years ago. Yes, it can be tricky to find somewhere to moor but we generally managed OK; early starts and early finishes certainly help. We managed to find space at all main/popular locations including Bradford, Avoncliff, Bathampton, Bath and Hanham. Not much on the Avon though between Bath and Hanham. 

Be careful below Hanham - "The river below Hanham Lock is considered to be tidal, as high tides often pass over the weir at Netham. Some spring tides will also pass over the weir here, making the river tidal up to Keynsham Lock."

13 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Be careful below Hanham - "The river below Hanham Lock is considered to be tidal, as high tides often pass over the weir at Netham. Some spring tides will also pass over the weir here, making the river tidal up to Keynsham Lock."

the only real hazard is the result of failing to turn right into Netham Lock when travelling downstream.

• 4 months later...

Thanks all.  It has been pretty much as you all said.  Massive issue collectively with liveaboards just miles and never ending miles of them - those I saw were friendly I should point out not personally come across any bad feeling (apart from one complete wingnut which I will keep to myself - you get those anywhere though).  I was talking to a Canal & River Trust employee and they are so frustrated as dealing with the illegals & unsafe boats is a long, lengthy & complex process - many of these boaters know this and play the system & the Trust being such & considered charitable even more so.  Such a shame as it’s a beautiful part of the country and we have locked with some lovely boaters this last week.  Sadly didn’t get to Bristol, not a single mooring to be found on River Avon, we should have stayed at Bath & headed to Bristol in a day but instead found ourselves having to create a mooring for ourselves and another boat just past the Jolly Sailor (all safe & secure) so we decided that’s not fun so turned back from there.  In general, we got to stop where we needed or wanted but mooring thoughts were present in my mind constantly.  I can’t see myself doing this stretch again, not really enough cruising hours in the week for me but did enjoy fewer locks than other routes.  Locks are a funny thing, you are glad when they are done but wouldn’t want to be without them!  Where to next I wonder?! :)

• Greenie 2

Yes I went down from Hilperton once and from Aldermaston another time.  Kennet & Avon full of ignorant arrogant live aboards.  Going  to go again just to upset these waste of space people who are a bain of the canal.  Get a house caravan just get off the canal.