Opinion on Zinsser Cover Stain Primer Paint White 2.5L required.

Featured Posts

A neighbour boater has an old boat with lots of stains inside from old leaks, bad painting jobs, red wine splashes (  hopefully its not blood! )  and general old muckiness. The wall panels are bare and seem to have never been varnished. Some of the woodwork is painted black and brown. Some is MDF.

She is wanting to paint the inside white. As the wood needs priming is this the right paint to use and has anyone any experience with it? 

Zinsser Cover Stain Primer Paint White 2.5L

Does it really stop the stains bleeding through?  Will it cover dark paint?

A top coat of white satin paint afterwards?

I used Zinsser B-I-N primer to cover stains on a chimney breast caused by a leaking roof / flashing round the chimney. I was impressed. Flashing repaired, but no time to allow the wall to dry out.  Two coats of Zinsser B-I-N followed by a couple of coats of emulsion paint and 18 months later there is no sign of the stain coming through again.

Brushes need to be cleaned in meths or Zinsser brush cleaner/restorer.

We are presently thinking of painting the varnished lower bulkheads. I have been seriously anticipating using Zinsser. It’s not cheap but if it works it’s well worth it. As the OP asks, any comment from past users. 

Yes Zinsser Cover Stain is the bees knees for that sort of job. It can be used on MDF as well as timber as a stain blocker and a base sealing coat. 

It does have a high volatile content though, so be careful on a boat to ensure lots of ventilation, as you don't want a hull full of flammable fumes.

Zinnser paints are generally very good. I've used them in the house on a wall prone to damp and on the gunwhales (the latter water based black paint but dead easy to touch up if damaged, and it seems to last).

The cover stain (my prefered) is slow drying but seems to cover well.  I have found that you need more than one coat on some stains allowing at least a day between. The BIN version is very thin to use with high solvent levels also.

The zinser paints are very good also for the top coats.

Look at screfix re prices 

I’ve used the Zinsser BIN + Zinsser Perma White on a damp (and mouldy) bathroom wall recently and it seems very good. It’s over a month since I did it and there is no sign of mould bleed through though it was previously painted plaster not wood.  The Perma White is wet scrubbable. With paint I suspect you get what you pay for and the Zinsser products (and product support from the technical department)are very good. They publish a small red guide which I find helpful too