Barrus Shire engines

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any insight into the reliability of Barrus Shire engines? I've only had experience with Beta and CanalLine engines before? 

Are they reliable? Expensive parts? Anything that I should be concerned about in advance (it'll be a new Barrus shire)

Cheers guys

As reliable as any other Jap engine, Yanmar I believe ( The Shanks is Chinese, NSG. ) parts can be expensive of course.

There was a problem in times past with smoking but I think that is past now.

Odd lagged exhaust instead of heat exchanger on older units, not seen a new one for a while, may be the same.

I fitted out a new shell in 99/2000 I fitted a beta but sold the boat soon after completion, maybe a year. A friend fitted his out at the same time, he fitted a Shire and still owns and lives on the same boat. He has had no serious issues so far. 

We had a 40hp engine in a 2002 boat, Yanmar based, sold it in 2000 running well. Only issue we had was that it ate fan belts because it had a single belt for both alternators and water pump but they stopped building them like that years ago.

23 minutes ago, PeterF said:

We had a 40hp engine in a 2002 boat, Yanmar based, sold it in 2000 running well. Only issue we had was that it ate fan belts because it had a single belt for both alternators and water pump but they stopped building them like that years ago.

Not surprised it chewed belts, must've been trying to power the flux capacitor to send it back in time 2 years  that did it 😂😂

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, PeterF said:

Had the same problem with fan belts, appears it was down to the design of the larger 110a alternator.

My alternator packed in so I sought a replacement, found they were ludicrously expensive but that was only academic as none were available anywhere and the manufacturers (Mexican?) were out of business and nobody wanted to produce copies of that model due I understand to the number of problems with the design.

Since swapping it out, approx 5 years ago, to a generic 90a alternator I have not changed the belt once. Previously I was only getting approx 4 - 5 months per belt.

On the general point I find the Barrus shire engine to be reliable. Many of the peripheral parts can be found at a lower price from other makers.

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

Should have said sold it in 2020 (18 years old).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, reg said:

Had the same problem with fan belts, appears it was down to the design of the larger 110a alternator.

My alternator packed in so I sought a replacement, found they were ludicrously expensive but that was only academic as none were available anywhere and the manufacturers (Mexican?) were out of business and nobody wanted to produce copies of that model due I understand to the number of problems with the design.

Since swapping it out, approx 5 years ago, to a generic 90a alternator I have not changed the belt once. Previously I was only getting approx 4 - 5 months per belt.

On the general point I find the Barrus shire engine to be reliable. Many of the peripheral parts can be found at a lower price from other makers.

How they ever thought a single v belt would run two alternators, especially an 110A one and the water pump is beyond me. The problem is exacerbated because the 4 pulleys form a square around the belt so that there is minimal belt wrap on the alternators.

Our new build in 2015 has a Barrus Shire 45. No problems so far and very quiet. Chose the 45 for the big alternator and power for the river. However, the manual recommends run at max load for 15 minutes every 50 hours to burn off stuff which can be a bit of a pain as we just like tootling around unless we're on the river. It has a tendency to be a bit smokey. 

Barrus 40 in ours from 2005, the Yamnar engine is solid starts every time, a little Smokey in locks, probably my fault for battery charging off load. Barrus marinisation generally ok main issue is the 110a altenator driven by the single v belt, not really up to the job. VDO Hour counter packed up years ago.

Re Smoking. Just like my Bukh. Smaller capacity direct injection engines (no glow plugs) are know to be prone to smoking at low powers and speeds. It is related to low swirl in the cylinder and it is one reason indirect injection engines were developed. DI engines will however tend to be very good cold starters and return better fuel consumption at higher revs than indirect injection engines.

A tendency to smoke at low revs means incomplete combustion and that gives the opportunity for carbon particles and vaporized fuel to build up in the exhaust, hence the need for a regular high speed/power "blow out".

• Greenie 3

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Re Smoking. Just like my Bukh. Smaller capacity direct injection engines (no glow plugs) are know to be prone to smoking at low powers and speeds. It is related to low swirl in the cylinder and it is one reason indirect injection engines were developed. DI engines will however tend to be very good cold starters and return better fuel consumption at higher revs than indirect injection engines.

A tendency to smoke at low revs means incomplete combustion and that gives the opportunity for carbon particles and vaporized fuel to build up in the exhaust, hence the need for a regular high speed/power "blow out".

I had a bukh dv36 in one of my boats. Simply superb. It would start every time, even at minus 10 before the key had been fully turned. No heaters or nowt.

We have a Shire 50 hp. It was installed in 2002 prior to our purchase in 2005. I had read good reports and these engines and to be honest was a major part of our decision to buy. Both alternators have been replaced. Otherwise running well. We are liveaboards and have done some serious travelling.

7 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We have a Shire 50 hp. It was installed in 2002 prior to our purchase in 2005. I had read good reports and these engines and to be honest was a major part of our decision to buy. Both alternators have been replaced. Otherwise running well. We are liveaboards and have done some serious travelling.

Presumably really quickly, with 50hp in a narrow boat!

46 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Went like the clappers on the Northern rivers. It is perhaps over powered. Got an egg whisk for the propeller!😊

Get a nice 27 x 14 fitted and you'll be able to keep CRT at bay in 20 mins cruisin time a fortnight!

• Haha 1