Any volunteer lockies at Atherstone?

Andrew Denny

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

I have a meeting with CRT at Fradley this morning and will be seeing one of the Atherstone lock vollies so I will ask and report back later today. If there are going to be any on duty I'm pretty sure I can arrange for one to accompany you through the flight, or at least from Locks 7 to 1. If not then I might be able to help you through.

Thanks! I will be asking the same question repeatedly as I slowly approach London in the coming month, weekend by weekend. I wish there were a list of numbers to call on the CRT website. No particular worries if there aren't any vlockies available, I can factor in the extra work/delays, but it would be great to know in advance.  

3 hours ago, Andrew Denny said:

Thanks! I will be asking the same question repeatedly as I slowly approach London in the coming month, weekend by weekend. I wish there were a list of numbers to call on the CRT website. No particular worries if there aren't any vlockies available, I can factor in the extra work/delays, but it would be great to know in advance.  

I've just asked them this morning and they told me that at this time of year the volunteers don't do weekends, just weekdays. But I'm moored not far away from there so I'll happily come along as assist you through them if you like. I'll send you a PM.

• Greenie 3

16 hours ago, Rob-M said:

There is an Atherstone Lock Keepers Facebook group, no idea if anyone actively monitors it but might be worth posting on there.

I've just heard from CRT that vlockies don't start until April 1st. Not to worry, I've now had a kind offer, thanks.

5 hours ago, Andrew Denny said:

I've just heard from CRT that vlockies don't start until April 1st. Not to worry, I've now had a kind offer, thanks.

Blimy I have been seeing apparitions again up there. two there on Tuesday when I came down, also some there on the 14th when I went up. Maybe CRT don't know they are there

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Blimy I have been seeing apparitions again up there. two there on Tuesday when I came down, also some there on the 14th when I went up. Maybe CRT don't know they are there

CRT's official stance is that they begin on 1st April but some places such as Atherstone locks have vollies who are keen enough to do it all year round, however because it's volunteering it depends on who wants to do it so it can be spasmodic. They often have problems finding volunteers for weekends so the Atherstone flight is only Monday to Friday during the winter months.